PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air and smoothing the firewall

jannes_z-28
03-25-2006, 08:31 AM
I have a Vintage Air Gen II in order and it will not arrive until mid May. I was thinking about preparing some before it arrives.

I will close the hole for the stock heater but I have a question for the fanhole. The one that sucks air from the outside (throught the vent grille) placed under the right fender. I have seen that this one gets covered in some cases and some don't.

I haven't yet figured out how the Gen II unit gets air from the outside. Can someone tell me how that works, or is it so that it just circulates the air inside the car and outside air has to enter through the kickpanel vents.

So should I cover both holes or not?

Jan

rockdogz
03-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I covered up both holes. Now that you mention it, there is no way for it to get outside air... And I'm considering blocking up the kickpanel vents for speakers, so I guess the only way outside air is getting in is through the windows. Thus is written rule #1 for passengers in my Camaro: no bean burritos within 24 hours of a ride...

Autokraft
03-25-2006, 01:15 PM
:I covered up both holes. Now that you mention it, there is no way for it to get outside air... And I'm considering blocking up the kickpanel vents for speakers, so I guess the only way outside air is getting in is through the windows. Thus is written rule #1 for passengers in my Camaro: no bean burritos within 24 hours of a ride...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ls67
03-25-2006, 08:38 PM
most folks close both some put their bulkhead out under the fender where you will block the fan hole and then sneek there hoses between the fender and tub and then bring them out by the radiator support. It makes for a very clean install.

fs

ProdigyCustoms
03-26-2006, 01:41 AM
First off, who are you ordering from that can't get it for you until mid May? Our lead time right now is 3 weeks max. Second, the easiest way is to use a additional ABS adapter plate Vintage has that goes in the fan opening, and has four hose holes in it to slide the hoses through rubber groumets. Or a bulk head fitting works, but making and connecting the little hoses under the dash is a PIA.

jannes_z-28
03-26-2006, 06:05 AM
It bought it from GP Superstore (isn't that you?) but the reason for the delay is the shipping, I am not in the US you know. Since it is quite bulky I had it shipped with containerservices. It takes 6-8 weeks for the shipping itself. Airfreight would have cost as much as the kit itself.

I have ordered the bulkhead fitting and kit.

Jan

Payton King
03-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Weld it up! I used an inline bulkhead and located below the fender bolt

Musclerodz
03-27-2006, 03:50 PM
I covered up both holes. Now that you mention it, there is no way for it to get outside air... And I'm considering blocking up the kickpanel vents for speakers, so I guess the only way outside air is getting in is through the windows. Thus is written rule #1 for passengers in my Camaro: no bean burritos within 24 hours of a ride...
Unless you covered up the 2 cowl vent holes above the outside dash vents, you are still getting outside air. Vintage Air works basically in recirculating mode only. They have you block those 2 vent holes up as a part of there Sure Fit system. The air is not drawn through the blower motor. It just forces air into the car through the original unit. Since the V/A system is self contained, it does not need all the extra stuff. I don't think the Gen II will come with all the factory block offs for the Camaro, so you will have to weld them all up.

Mike

rockdogz
03-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I didn't cover up the cowl vent holes on the outside, but they lead into the vents on the kickpanel which I probably will be covering up with speakers (although since it won't be airtight, I'm sure some outside air will still get in). Which is probably a good thing, burrito lovers :yes:

ProdigyCustoms
03-27-2006, 06:41 PM
That makes sense, LOL! I wondered what the heck would take so long. Your all set with the bulkhead.

jannes_z-28
04-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Following up on his subject as I am about to do the smoothing now.

I guess the best way to do it is to cut out the old part and put in a new one like the DSE one. Or do you just put the new sheetmetal on top of the old one and tack it in place.

I will fabricate my own sheetmetal for this one.

Jan

Hdesign
04-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Here's what I did with the firewall. I probably cut out way too much but I wanted to get rid of all the seams. I also neatly cut out the wiper motor mounting surface and added a patch. I'm relocating it under the fender.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/dabanj6/smooth2.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/dabanj6/smooth3.jpg