PDA

View Full Version : LS1/6sp in 70 nova. which motor mounts?

Deeznuts
11-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Guys, I'm putting an ls1 and a 6sp. in a '70 nova. Im finding all sorts of options on engine mounts. Some put it in the stock location, some 1/2'', 1 1/2'', or 3" forward. What are your thoughts? What are most guys using on Camaros? I would guess the reason for moving it forward would be the shifter location? Thanks for any input!

realcoray
11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Guys, I'm putting an ls1 and a 6sp. in a '70 nova. Im finding all sorts of options on engine mounts. Some put it in the stock location, some 1/2'', 1 1/2'', or 3" forward. What are your thoughts? What are most guys using on Camaros? I would guess the reason for moving it forward would be the shifter location? Thanks for any input!

Stock location. I had some that I thought were stock but were 1" back and it caused issues. Went to stock and had no problem.

Generally speaking, you should look at the other parts you have and what they were designed against. Headers for example, if they used part X that is stock position, then you're going to want stock position etc.

Deeznuts
11-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Stock location. I had some that I thought were stock but were 1" back and it caused issues. Went to stock and had no problem.

Generally speaking, you should look at the other parts you have and what they were designed against. Headers for example, if they used part X that is stock position, then you're going to want stock position etc.

Thanks for the reply. I plan to use Hookers cast exhaust manifold. I dont think they will get in the way of anything. I guess I was more concerned about the length of the trans and location of the shifter. Thanks again!

NOPANTS68
11-19-2012, 11:31 PM
I used Edelbrock mounts and headers. I made my own simple trans crossmember due to the lack of options back then. I had tons of room everywhere- even with the rack and pinion kit. Now there's tons available. '68 Nova- LS1/T56.

drednot
11-20-2012, 05:21 PM
I used Edelbrock mounts and headers. I made my own simple trans crossmember due to the lack of options back then. I had tons of room everywhere- even with the rack and pinion kit. Now there's tons available. '68 Nova- LS1/T56.

Not to hijack this thread but....Did you have to modify your trans tunnel? I am trying to figure out which mounts to use and I was lead to believe that a t56 in a nova requires trans tunnel mods. I would rather not cut my floor. Thanks.

NOPANTS68
11-20-2012, 06:49 PM
I had a TKO600 in it before which did require some pretty heavy tunnel mods so the T56 had tons of room. I think you still have to dom some light massaging to the tunnel mostly between the seats where the shifter pops up. That trans is gotta be a foot longer than a Muncie so that's usually the area where there's a conflict. I also remember the reverse block out sensor being trouble as far as height too. I made a block off plate for mine and ditched it.

Deeznuts
11-20-2012, 07:01 PM
I had a TKO600 in it before which did require some pretty heavy tunnel mods so the T56 had tons of room. I think you still have to dom some light massaging to the tunnel mostly between the seats where the shifter pops up. That trans is gotta be a foot longer than a Muncie so that's usually the area where there's a conflict. I also remember the reverse block out sensor being trouble as far as height too. I made a block off plate for mine and ditched it.

I was thinking I would have to raise the tunnel. I had anothe nova with a tko600 in it. So is there a need to cut out as much of the tunnel as needed for the tko?

drednot
11-20-2012, 07:59 PM
On BRP hot rods they have an installation guide that shows how to modify the tunnel for their kit. It does look easy, but I was looking for a kit that doesn't require any more than cutting the hole for a shifter. I don't know if you can put the trans in without mods and it be in the correct place/pinion angle? I guess maybe the mounts that move the engine/trans forward might help with that, but would the driveline cause problems being forward? Once again sorry if I am hijacking the thread. I thought it would be better than starting a new one.

Deeznuts
11-20-2012, 09:13 PM
On BRP hot rods they have an installation guide that shows how to modify the tunnel for their kit. It does look easy, but I was looking for a kit that doesn't require any more than cutting the hole for a shifter. I don't know if you can put the trans in without mods and it be in the correct place/pinion angle? I guess maybe the mounts that move the engine/trans forward might help with that, but would the driveline cause problems being forward? Once again sorry if I am hijacking the thread. I thought it would be better than starting a new one.

No need to appologize. these are some of the same concerns I have as well

NOPANTS68
11-21-2012, 12:19 AM
From what I've seen, there isn't a mount kit that installs a T56 without some cutting. It's not bad, but to make all the angles work, you'll need to do some slicing.

As a side note and purely opinion- I'm not sure I'd do a T56 swap in that car again. The T56 is stupid heavy, long, not as strong as a TKO600 and I never, ever used 6th gear. I ran 4.33s and a 28 inch tire and with a manly cam 6th gear meant 1700 rpm at freeway speeds. Useless. I'd probably do a TKO swap or a Richmond which would actually slide right in that tunnel like a Muncie.

drednot
11-21-2012, 01:12 AM
From what I've seen, there isn't a mount kit that installs a T56 without some cutting. It's not bad, but to make all the angles work, you'll need to do some slicing.

As a side note and purely opinion- I'm not sure I'd do a T56 swap in that car again. The T56 is stupid heavy, long, not as strong as a TKO600 and I never, ever used 6th gear. I ran 4.33s and a 28 inch tire and with a manly cam 6th gear meant 1700 rpm at freeway speeds. Useless. I'd probably do a TKO swap or a Richmond which would actually slide right in that tunnel like a Muncie.

Was it the 28 in tire? Don't stock 98-02 TA/Z28s come with 3.73 gears? I don't know the diameter of the stock tires off of the top of my head. It seems the stock F-bodies cruised good in 6th at highway speeds. I do know friends of mine with the 98-02 F-bodies upgraded to 4.10 or 4.11 and their cars screamed.

NOPANTS68
11-22-2012, 03:03 PM
No it was that my cam didn't like cruising at 1400 rpm on the freeway. Factory F bodies typically came with 3.42s and a tire in the 25-26 inch range. Keep in mind that the LS1 cars had a camshaft with minimal duration and a tight centerline to make vac everywhere and idle nicely. Guys that have put Trex or MS4 cams in those cars will tell you that they surge in 6th gear at 60-70 mph. In 5th, I could cruise at 2000 rpm all day and the engine was far happier in that range. Plus passing meant just rolling my toe into it rather than pulling down a gear from sixth. I think the T56 is so widely used because it's a natural fit for LSX swapped cars and it's fairly strong stock. I'm just saying that if I had to do it again, I'd go TKO with the .64 5th or Richmond and minimal rear gear. I have a Richmond in our 67 Chevelle build and I'm sold on it. No tunnel mods and it shifts absolutely bitchin with the Long shifter.

drednot
12-15-2012, 02:39 PM
After looking around and reading more, I like the look of Novas without the body bushings. But for this it looks like you have to pretty much cut out the entire trans and driveshaft tunnel. I am trying to figure out if that drop or actually raise, would interfere with the engineering of a LS kit like the BRP kit?