PDA

View Full Version : Thermal arc 185- thoughts?

racin66coupe
10-31-2012, 04:41 PM
been looking around at getting a compact TIG, went to a local store and they had one of these that theyve had for a while, brand new, said he would give it to me for 2k with a foot pedal and torch. i cant seem to find any reason to not buy this, as i havent seen any bad reviews on them yet..

gerno
10-31-2012, 05:32 PM
I don't have that machine and don't have experience with a TIG at all but I do have a Thermal Arc Fabricator 251 MIG and really like the machine. It's very powerful but can be adjsuted down to work with thinner metal as well. I bought it used and have had zero issues with it besides the liner so I feel the quality is very good. Again, not specific to the machine you refer to but more in general for Thermal Arc... hope this helps.

STeve

Sieg
10-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Compare it against the HTP Invertig 220. I ended up with the Invertig delivered at $2550 with extra consumables (rod) and 25' torch lead. Service and support has been above average.

darrinf
11-02-2012, 10:01 AM
I've been looking at the Thermal Arc 181i, which does both Mig & Tig. It's priced around $800, add in gas, wire, etc and you're looking at around $1300 for the whole setup. It's not a heavy-duty welder by any means, but for light fabrication, sheet metal, even stainless exhaust, stuff like that it's probably just fine. It's a 180 amp machine so you can do up to 1/4". I also looked at the Miller Diversion 165 which is Tig only. It's priced a little higher but is probably a better machine. I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend and how much welding you're going to do.

Revved
11-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I've got a Diversion 165 and I've been happy with it short of an intermittant glitch where it shuts off randomly as I hit the pedal. Just have to shut the machine off... turn it back on and its fine but too random to bother sending in.

Welding wise it does great once I got past my learning curve going from MIG to TIG. It's very basic and I do worry once I have to step up to a "real" TIG welder with all of the knobs and buttons

IMPALA MAN
11-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I have a Thermal Arc 95S. Very compact. I am learning how to TIG and it doesn't seem too hard. I was really doing well but melting the tungsten. After reviewing the whole setup, I realized I had 75/25 mix Argon/CO2. I just got a 100% Argon tank and have not had a chance to try it yet. I know the welds I did with the mix were pretty good. I can only anticipate with the 100% Argon, it will only be better. So far, I would reccomend the machine without a doubt. $405.00 delivered to my door. (EBay). The only downside is, you cannot weld aluminum, but for $400.00 it's a great starter machine.

GregWeld
11-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Don't buy any TIG machine that you can not weld aluminum with. That's the beauty of TIG is that you can weld all metals (SS/Steel/Aluminum) because that's how we build our cars.

Aluminum takes lots of heat (AMPS) and you'll use thicker aluminum to build a bracket etc than that same bracket would be made with steel or stainless steel. Figure 1/4" - and size appropriately if you can afford it.

As you get better with MIG or TIG - you'll find yourself being LESS limited in the stuff you want to tackle.... so don't plan to limit yourself -- rather -- plan to have this machine for years and years and grow.

Having said all the above - I'm unfamiliar with the machine you're looking at. My comments are GENERAL about what to think about....

I'd rather have a used great machine than a useless new machine. We don't use these enough to EVER wear them out.

Tlenning
11-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Thermal arc's aren't bad machines I used to run one at my old job welding motorcycle frames every day, keep in mind that was mild steel DC welding so i cannot speak for its AC capabilities. However in my shop currently every welder I own is miller and always will be but thats because I've had fantastic luck with them.

redc4
12-25-2012, 10:12 PM
I have had the Thermal Arc 185 TIG for 8+ years. It is an awesome machine! Absolutely zero complaints here:thumbsup:

Xplane
12-29-2012, 07:51 PM
I have had mine for at least five years. I absolutely love it, and have had no problems.