PDA

View Full Version : which booster to swap from manual to power? need advice please

68firebird
10-22-2012, 07:54 AM
well the bird is in the garage for the winter, so its time to start thinking of stuff I'd like to get accomplished over the winter. I'm thinking of switching to power brakes and I really want to make sure its done properly,:_paranoid what size booster would be best, 9 or 11 inch, does it matter? what else needs to be done for the switch, or is it as simple as installing the booster and hooking a vacuum hose to it? where should it be pulling vacuum from? thanks for the help and advice.

ps: please include any recommended parts, Links would be fantastic.:yes:

MCB Matt
10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
well the bird is in the garage for the winter, so its time to start thinking of stuff I'd like to get accomplished over the winter. I'm thinking of switching to power brakes and I really want to make sure its done properly,:_paranoid what size booster would be best, 9 or 11 inch, does it matter? what else needs to be done for the switch, or is it as simple as installing the booster and hooking a vacuum hose to it? where should it be pulling vacuum from? thanks for the help and advice.

ps: please include any recommended parts, Links would be fantastic.:yes:

We can help. First, do you know what size bore master you are running? If not you will need to measure that first, second i recommend the 11" booster if you are running stock valve covers, if you want a little extra room the 9" will do just fine! We can get you into the proper bore master as well if needed.

Last....do you want to stretch and tweak your hardlines or just replace them with new prebent?

Feel free to respond here or PM me if you want

Matt
MCB

68firebird
10-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Hi Matt! your site is the exact site I went to looking for boosters before I posted up this question, kinda funny, anyway.....

to answer your questions, the MC I'm using has a 1 inch bore diameter, and can be used for manual or power. My firebird has a sbc 305 with the small valve covers, so I guess the 11 inch would work fine. I'd rather get prebent lines if possible, but if need be I can bend my own, as much of a pain in the butt it is hahaha. Is there anything else needed to make the switch?

also, my Mc has a bore adapter so it can be used with manual or power. I have the adapter in with manual brakes, I don't know if I'm supposed to or not, total noob here. how is it supposed to be run with a power setup. thanks for your help by the way, when I do make my purchase you will definitely be getting my business.

MCB Matt
10-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi Matt! your site is the exact site I went to looking for boosters before I posted up this question, kinda funny, anyway.....

to answer your questions, the MC I'm using has a 1 inch bore diameter, and can be used for manual or power. My firebird has a sbc 305 with the small valve covers, so I guess the 11 inch would work fine. I'd rather get prebent lines if possible, but if need be I can bend my own, as much of a pain in the butt it is hahaha. Is there anything else needed to make the switch?

also, my Mc has a bore adapter so it can be used with manual or power. I have the adapter in with manual brakes, I don't know if I'm supposed to or not, total noob here. how is it supposed to be run with a power setup. thanks for your help by the way, when I do make my purchase you will definitely be getting my business.

The new booster will come with both deep and shallow pins so no worries there.

We typically run a 1 1/8" master with the 11" or 9" if we get into a 8" dual or smaller we go 1"

With the 1" and a larger booster you will have more pedal travel than necessary.

We do have a booster/master/prop kit that also uses our prebent hardline kit...its bumper to bumper with all new clips and rear axle flex too.

PM me and let me know which way you want to go and i will get you some $$$

Thanks for the support
Matt

68firebird
10-23-2012, 01:51 PM
sent ya a PM!!!!!!

MCB Matt
10-23-2012, 03:28 PM
PM replied!