PDA

View Full Version : Flap Discs???

Rick D
10-08-2012, 08:22 AM
So what and where does antone use for flap disc grinding discs?? I have use so many different ones lately but can't find and that either last a descent amount of grinding. I have bought the cheapest sh!t from Harbor Frieght to the most expensive ones from Walter. Yes the cheap is did last very long but the more expensive did last that much more?? So anyone got a good source as to where to find good ones??

ccracin
10-08-2012, 10:03 AM
I have found that the expensive ones do not last long enough nor cut that much better to warrant the cost. This is where we buy all our rolocs, flap discs, cut off disks etc.

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/servlet/StoreFront

You can't beat the cost. The only thing I recommend is pay attention to shipping. It's best to order multiple things to bring the overall shipping cost down. Even with shipping the cost is better.

In a pinch if we run out and we don't have a multiple order, we have a harbor freight store 15 minutes away.

Just my opinion and yes I have tried 3M, Norton, etc along side the others and this is what I found.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

:cheers:

64pontiac
10-08-2012, 10:05 AM
This has been a personal conquest for me as well. We go through a ton at my shop, so I am sure some of the larger shops could chime in with more results for us, but here is what I find:

Walter (the orange plastic backed ones) are hands down the best.
- When it is me using them, thats what I use. Unfortunately when it is an employee that doesnt care about what you spent on it, not the case. I find that you can cut the edge down on a piece of metal and the plastic peels off and you get a fresh edge. In your home shop one of these could last a month!

Rhodius, which are a fiber back, last a long time for the price.
- I find these are better for 1/8 and thicker, as they last a long time but tend to make more "heat". you can use one for about a week, but not on sheet metal flush weld dressing. They last long, but the cutting diminishes with the disc.

Merit
- these are cheaper, around 2.50 to 3 a piece, and they cut nice. They dont last a long time, but they cut like new right to the end. I use these for sheet metal weld dressing. Not great for heavy weld grinding, but on sheet metal they cut sharp and quick all the way through. Lasts about a day of intermittent use.

Norton
- I am trying a batch of these next week when I get low on the Merits. I will post results.

For at home stuff, do yourself a favour and just buy Walters. thats my take. If someone else is using the discs and your paying for them, dont use the Walters!

64pontiac
10-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Oh forgot, Fastenal supplies us with all of our shop supplies, but we are starting to switch our abrasives over to our local autobody supplier, as he can be more consistent with the price. Fastenal is great one day, and then they try and sneak a higher price by you the next time they bring a stock up order. I am constantly phoning about it.

I always try and support local. Plus our autobody supplier will hold the inventory for us, and we can jsut buy them in a dozen when we need them! No shipping, etc. Once we start using something, he makes sure he has enough supply so that there is no wait if we run out. And he delivers. so for the 10 cents more per flap disc its totally worth it. Just like ordering parts, sometimes it is detrimental to search for the best price over service and supply!

badmatt
10-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Klingspor.

The best.

Revved
11-06-2012, 03:36 PM
I've had really good luck with the Dewalt flapper wheels and cutoff wheels.

Like you've mentioned I've bought cheap crap thinking it would be the same but they just dont hold up. I've even had some of the cheap cutoff wheels blow apart under normal use.

DEIGuy38
11-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Home Depot Norton Brand

wellis77
11-07-2012, 12:55 AM
I have used the Norton's quite a bit and am real happy with them. I'm looking forward to Tyler's feedback though, hopefully he'll stop back and give us an update.

I am also curious about what people are using for dressing welds and finishing this off nice and smooth? Seems to me a flap disc would (could) be a bit too aggressive. Are the Roloc's better for dressing welds? At the moment I'm using mostly 1/8" and sheet.

dontlifttoshift
11-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Just curious, what are you guys using flap discs for?

MarkM66
11-07-2012, 09:09 AM

Aggressive material/steel removal. Then switch to something smaller.

wellis77
11-07-2012, 10:22 AM

I use them mostly for shaping and fabricating parts. When I first started welding I was using them to knock down super ugly globular welds. Now that I'm quite a bit better I really don't need them for that and I'm looking to learn how to smooth out my welds without removing max quantities of material like a flap disc would.

dontlifttoshift
11-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Okay. I very rarely use flap discs and never really understood what all the flap was about.....did you see what I did there?:D

When trying to finish something flat or near flat I will always use a sanding disc like the orange blaze ones from Norton, usually 80 grit and then finish as required with a DA equipped with 80 grit as well. If I am trying fix something ugly that requires some more aggressive metal removal I will start with 36 grit. 2" and 3" rolocs and 5" discs on an air sander.

The only flap discs that I keep around are 2" roloc style and they are for blending shapes together and nothing else. I have never been able to get anything flat with a flap disc. They can remove copious amounts of metal but the waves it leaves are not acceptable to me.

Something to remember with flappers that I learned the hard way is they are most effective with electric tools. Most air tools do not make enough torque to maintain rpm with any pressure applied. RPM is very important as well. To fast will kill the flap disc and "burnish" metal. I spent a stupid amount of money on a 7" flap disc once and ruined in 5 minutes spinning at 6000 rpm. I bought another one and only ran it on another sander at 5000 rpm and it cut pretty good for the life of the disc, still wavy though.