PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen New Mickey Thompson tires!

G-Body
03-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Has anyone seen these new mickey Thompson tires the new Sportsman S/R looks like an amazing tire was wondering if anyone has any photos of them on any cars or projects yet?http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.html

rocketman
03-17-2006, 09:56 PM
all ready have them.very nice tire.handle good,i there rated to 150.check out evod industries.

G-Body
03-17-2006, 10:13 PM
sweet you have any photos would love to see them and what front tire did you use?

G-Body
03-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Was wondering what size rear and front wheel you were running and what kind of wheels the car they will be going on has a 31x18 pro street mickey on it now

rocketman
03-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Was wondering what size rear and front wheel you were running and what kind of wheels the car they will be going on has a 31x18 pro street mickey on it now

i dont have photo's of mine yet,they are going on a pro street 37 ford coupe.i am going 24x5 on 18x4.5 front and 33x22 on 20x16's rear.i just but them on a 33 ford but we used a bfg kdw front with a 31x18x20 rear.

my car is in the spray booth now should be on the road in a month.

G-Body
03-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Sounds sweeeeeeeet i have a 48 Chevy areo coupe that i'm trading for my Cutlass and its a super nice project was wondering if i will have to have my wheels custom built to get that 14-15" wheel width for the rear wheels and also was wondering wheels you were going with and who makes these wheels this wide or will i have to have them built love the look of the tire cant wait to see it on hot rods such as yours. Thanks again

promax/vennom#16
03-18-2006, 08:52 AM
I am curious to see some pics also. I guess the tread pattern is suppose to be a flame pattern, which sounded kinda tacky, so I was curious to see what they looked like.
Dave

rocketman
03-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Sounds sweeeeeeeet i have a 48 Chevy areo coupe that i'm trading for my Cutlass and its a super nice project was wondering if i will have to have my wheels custom built to get that 14-15" wheel width for the rear wheels and also was wondering wheels you were going with and who makes these wheels this wide or will i have to have them built love the look of the tire cant wait to see it on hot rods such as yours. Thanks again

well from trying to find wheels,one offs are the only way to get them right now.budnik,intro etc will make you wheels,fronts are the hard one,no one wants to make a 4.5 wide wheel.check out evod industries.shaun make's one off's.he's doing my next project,he also owns the twin turbo vette boyd built.

rocketman
03-18-2006, 10:37 AM
I am curious to see some pics also. I guess the tread pattern is suppose to be a flame pattern, which sounded kinda tacky, so I was curious to see what they looked like.
Dave

the tread looks really cool,and match a bfg kdw,real well. i have had them in the rain and there not bad,exp if you are used to the old sportmans.

rocketman
03-18-2006, 10:41 AM
evod (http://evodindustries.com)

check this link

JayR
03-18-2006, 12:52 PM
IMO, these tires have one important place in the aftermarket. Specifically modernizing Pro Street Cars with severely narrowed rearends and big wheel tubs that would be too much work to simply redo everything to accomodate a 10 or 12" wide wheel but if you aren't redoing an old pro street car, I'd save the money and do a normal tire and wheel package. Off the shelf wheels and tires are available in so many widths and diameters short of full pro street size, it's not worth it to go crazy with that kind of width and diameter. Same goes for the scrawny little front runner widths on an 18" wheel that you plan to drive on. Anybody ever experienced understeer? Those will bring a new meaning to it!
I'm not conservative when it comes to wheel diameter but unless you need a 31"+ tire to make an already tubbed car sit right, I'd stick with BFGs and Michelins.

rocketman
03-18-2006, 02:24 PM
i think they will bring pro street back,pro touring nice,but i like pro street too.

promax/vennom#16
03-18-2006, 04:49 PM
i think they will bring pro street back,pro touring nice,but i like pro street too.

Thanks Rocketman for the link to evod, they look better than I expected. Personally I still really like the skinny 4.5" - 6.0" skinny in the front dispite the handling issues. Being a former Pro-streeter I would like to see it make a come back in a more high tech way. One car that on a personal level really caught my attention was the blue Mustang(67 or 68) that Foose had re-built for a handicap guy on Overhaulin . It was a prostreet car and they converted it to a more high tech Pro Streeter(ended up black and silver). That was probablly one of my favorite cars that they worked on Overhaulin. On the link to evod I really liked the M/T Wheel on the right, must be the hatchet, I would like to look into that a little further. I also liked the combo above it with the sinny, that looks great!! Thanks. :thumbsup:
Dave

rocketman
03-18-2006, 05:05 PM
well set-up,the car is pro/street-strip car,the cars a 7's street car.has been 6's with the old motor i had,it's a pg gas set up know.and i drive it on the street,they handle good,in the rain there not bad.i'm going to run hatchets on mine.shaun's a very knowledgable guy(he own's evod) all his wheels are 1 piece,very high quailty.

rocketman
03-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks Rocketman for the link to evod, they look better than I expected. Personally I still really like the skinny 4.5" - 6.0" skinny in the front dispite the handling issues. Being a former Pro-streeter I would like to see it make a come back in a more high tech way. One car that on a personal level really caught my attention was the blue Mustang(67 or 68) that Foose had re-built for a handicap guy on Overhaulin . It was a prostreet car and they converted it to a more high tech Pro Streeter(ended up black and silver). That was probablly one of my favorite cars that they worked on Overhaulin. On the link to evod I really liked the M/T Wheel on the right, must be the hatchet, I would like to look into that a little further. I also liked the combo above it with the sinny, that looks great!! Thanks. :thumbsup:
Dave

i'm not sure what kinda car that is,but's real nice,looks good.

promax/vennom#16
03-18-2006, 05:13 PM
It's a 1962 Ford Fairlane/ 351W/500hp. I sold it last Dec. to a guy in Cleveland Ohio. I had the car 15yrs.

Budnik Wheels
03-20-2006, 02:21 PM
We have so far built quite a number of 20X15 and 18X15" two piece wheels to accomadate these tires. And customer feed back has been very positive. As mentioned above, we have had customers who have matched the rear M/T tire to a front BFG KDW 2 tire. We have also had customers use our 18X7 for M/T fronts.

As expected, the hardest part is accomodating the Pro Street Car that is undergoing a reconstruction and for the guy who wants a 20X15 with a 4" backspace. It's possible, but it will take us time to custom make the outer.

Idealy, we prefer to make a 15" wide wheel with something closer to a 0 offset (down the middle). However, we are making it both ways.

We are looking forward to seeing some of our wheels on these cars this next show season. Look around your next Good Guys car show, you might see a few.

For any questions, please feel free to call us, 714-892-1932

Jon

rocketman
03-20-2006, 05:05 PM
budnik,i called you guys and that was a diffculty,we talked about,a 4 off wheel,and a 18x5 front.plus a wanted a smoot lip,but i dont remember why that was a problem,you guys were very help,when i called out there,will keep budnik in mind for future projects

TwinSting
03-20-2006, 08:48 PM
They are available in 18" wheel 6,8,10" wide. :yes:

TravisB
03-21-2006, 02:24 PM
They are available in 18" wheel 6,8,10" wide. :yes:

Shaun are the 31x15's available yet

rocketman
03-21-2006, 05:10 PM
travis,i dont think so,the 18's are.i think thats a later this summer deal,i could be wrong thou

Steve Chryssos
03-21-2006, 08:10 PM
I saw those tires up close and personal last weekend. They are absolutely awesome. Expect nothing less that a solid resurgence in pro street.

USAZR1
03-22-2006, 03:08 PM
I just wish they would offer some big 17's. 335/35/17 is all I can get for my 17x13 rears.

rocketman
03-22-2006, 05:15 PM
hoosier has some 17 in size tires in the street radial line.m/t i think is coming out with some this summer.