PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Dual cylinder VS tandem cylinder vs vacuum assist

Hotrod1
09-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I am curious about what the forum has to say about the concept of these brake systems. Dual master cylinder VS Tandem master cylinder VS Vacuum assist master cylinder? This will be for street/autocross/protouring application.

FETorino
09-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I am curious about what the forum has to say about the concept of these brake systems. Dual master cylinder VS Tandem master cylinder VS Vacuum assist master cylinder? This will be for street/autocross/protouring application.

Dual master looks really trick and is based on race style systems. The independent masters allow you to properly size each for the independent systems. It also allows you to screw it up. They have an adjustable balance bar to tune in the front rear bias. But if you don't set them up right this becomes a headache. The dual masters require fab work on your firewall. They are the choice of real racecars so if set up right they are probably the best.

Dual masters are an easy bolt on deal. Wilwood and others sell properly sized masters for your system that will bolt right in place on the firewall. Many OEM masters are available to work with upgraded brake parts and OEM parts are proven workhorses.

Vacuum assist, why? For autocross/open track manual brakes give you better modulation and feel with just slightly more pedal effort. If your motor isn't EFI and has a cam and other performance upgrades vacuum at low rpm probably doesn't exist.

If you want the ease of power brakes coupled with a performance car then maybe hydroboost but I'd still say just go manual, simple and effective manual brakes.

Track Junky
09-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Hydroboost seems to be the latest trend but has anybody honestly installed one that can honestly say it wont put you through the windshield yet? Not knocking it, just a serious question.
Dual master with adjustable bias bar sounds great to me and if I had the extra cake might like to play around with that set up but what I have now works good enough for what I do so it can wait. I run vacuum assist but with an SSBC pump. So far no complaints and with the right set of pads for your desired driving pleasure should be fine.
For most people around here in the end it will boil down to what you want to see in your car. If you want to play keep up it's either dual masters or hydroboost.

edge04
09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Dual master looks really trick and is based on race style systems. The independent masters allow you to properly size each for the independent systems. It also allows you to screw it up. They have an adjustable balance bar to tune in the front rear bias. But if you don't set them up right this becomes a headache. The dual masters require fab work on your firewall. They are the choice of real racecars so if set up right they are probably the best.

Dual masters are an easy bolt on deal. Wilwood and others sell properly sized masters for your system that will bolt right in place on the firewall. Many OEM masters are available to work with upgraded brake parts and OEM parts are proven workhorses.

Vacuum assist, why? For autocross/open track manual brakes give you better modulation and feel with just slightly more pedal effort. If your motor isn't EFI and has a cam and other performance upgrades vacuum at low rpm probably doesn't exist.

If you want the ease of power brakes coupled with a performance car then maybe hydroboost but I'd still say just go manual, simple and effective manual brakes.

How hard is the set up of duals? And once you have them set up is the braking as good as power brakes? I assume the pedal length makes a big difference. I keep hearing how hard it can be (Wilwood even confirmed) so thinking of staying away, although I like the look. Assume aslo caliper type and rotor size woudl factor in the stopping?

Can someone post pics of their dual set ups?