PDA

View Full Version : Nibbler

IMPALA MAN
08-26-2012, 09:04 PM
I need some reccomendations on a nibbler. I want to cut portions of an original quarter from a 1st gen Camaro. I need a tool that a hobbiest would use. Not one that is designed to use every day. Obviously there are differences in price and quality. Electric or pnuematic, and everything from 29.95 to 1,000.00. I just need a reccomendation what would be best for use once or twice a year.
Thanks for your input.

Sieg
08-26-2012, 09:45 PM
I'd probably use Harbor Freights 3" cut-off tool, typically $20 if you have enough compressor. My 3hp 20 gal is slow with this tool but works. The other option is an electric drill with an arbor and cut-off wheel.

I have a nibbler also but personally don't like using it. Inaccurate, noisey, and throws moon shaped metal slivers EVERYWHERE.

coolwelder62
08-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Eastwood sells one thats works well.

badmatt
08-26-2012, 11:33 PM
I have this

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=1521

love it. best 300 bucks ive spent for metal cutting. everything is in a nice little coil which makes clean up easy. plus you can cut down to a 4" radius.

FlameBroiled
08-27-2012, 09:50 AM
I have a nibbler too, it just takes up space on the shelf. We prefer cut wheels on a 90 degree die grider. Or a air powered body saw.

GregWeld
08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Nibblers are HORRIBLE tools.... don't bother.

If you don't have air --- then just get electric cut off tools.

rwhite692
08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
^^^^What GW said. Nibblers are useful in only very limited circumstances. Buy cutoff discs for a 4" electric grinder, and use that. You will be able to cut the panel with no distortion and you will be able to cut in much closer than you can with a nibbler.

You mentioned that cost is a concern. You can get a Harbor Freight 4" grinder for ~12-15 bucks and a pack of cutoff discs for ~8.

Oh...And also, be careful...use a full face shield if at all possible, long pants, heavy shirt, Yadda Yadda Yadda.

IMPALA MAN
08-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I went with the cutoff wheels. I have the grinder, but for good measure went ahead and purchased the HF body saw and some fine blades. $30.00 later and I'm good to go.

GregWeld
08-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I went with the cutoff wheels. I have the grinder, but for good measure went ahead and purchased the HF body saw and some fine blades. $30.00 later and I'm good to go.

Be careful with the body saw. #1 they chew through blades faster than you can replace 'em.... and they go off line REAL easy... which makes it harder to mate up a replacement panel. I use the body saw for anything that ISN'T straight -- or to clean up a corner etc. Don't get me wrong - super handy dandy little tool... but if you want a clean straight line - use a tape line for a guide and the cutoff wheels.

IMPALA MAN
08-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Got the HF body saw last night. Tried it and it is locked up so it's getting returned tonight. Anybody need some blades? Looks like the cutoff wheel will be the ticket.

Thanks

Ketzer
08-28-2012, 01:46 PM
The body saw is not a bad tool. It has come in handy for some specific tasks but like GW said,
The blades don't last for ****e, I even went online and bought some "super heavy duty" ones... what a joke.
Wont cut a straight line to save your life (although the fatter blades you can buy do a slightly better job but then wont turn a corner).

Jeff-

BBT FAB
08-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Be careful with the body saw. #1 they chew through blades faster than you can replace 'em.... and they go off line REAL easy... which makes it harder to mate up a replacement panel. I use the body saw for anything that ISN'T straight -- or to clean up a corner etc. Don't get me wrong - super handy dandy little tool... but if you want a clean straight line - use a tape line for a guide and the cutoff wheels.

I ve had the same blade in my body saw for 2 months. Buy a good blades and you wont have a problem. Starett are the only blades I ve found that last.

GregWeld
08-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Good info! I'll hit Fastenal on Tuesday.

I've been buying "whatever" brands... and they're crappola.

Ketzer
09-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Ditto! I'll get me some of those Staretts!

Jeff-