PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal

dirtymaro68
08-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi guys looking to buy my a LSX motor for my 70 Nova just happened to run across this locally.
Freshly rebuilt 5.3 L33 all aluminum out of a 03 Escalade. Turned crank, new bearings, gaskets and fully assembled. Includes water pump, rockers, pushrods and injectors. Includes truck intake, water pump and gasket kit. 1200 firm.
Think that an ideal LS motor and price for my build. Thanks guys any info much appreciated.
http://i49.tinypic.com/e05060.jpg

Che70velle
08-23-2012, 04:19 PM
First post here, I am a regular over at ls1 tech.
Good deal? Not bad for a rebuilt l33.
Here's some info for you however. The l33 was produced from 05' to 07'
It was only available in extended cab 4 wheel drive trucks. Some refer to this unit as the H.O. 5.3. The l33 is a great engine. I recently put one in my brothers suburban. It seems as though you have been misinformed, concerning the year of the engine. Perhaps the seller really doesn't know what they have? Beware of sellers like this. Do research on what your buying. Ask them to pull the valve covers, so you can take a looksey.

gnx7
08-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Sounds good. Agreed on the years they were offered in aluminum.

Pull the oil pan and rod cap to see how the bearings look. If he doesn't even know what year the motor is.... make sure it actually is what it is. You can inspect the bores if they have been machined as well with the pan off.

Ron in SoCal
08-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Sounds good. Agreed on the years they were offered in aluminum.

Pull the oil pan and rod cap to see how the bearings look. If he doesn't even know what year the motor is.... make sure it actually is what it is. You can inspect the bores if they have been machined as well with the pan off.

^ This...also the block should have the displacement on it I believe? I know 6.0 and up have it...

GregWeld
08-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Buying used motors is such a crap shoot....

A buddy bought a "fresh rebuild" - paid too much - was sold a big story... When I pulled a valve cover it was obvious that the valve train was DRY as a bone - not a single dab of assembly lube... to which I said "oh oh"... better pull the pan as long as we're here... Yep -- dry as a bone -- bearings were SHOT -- pulled the intake off -- and there was a CAN stuck between two pushrods... and then the heads came off -- masking tape stuck to the bottom of the heads in a couple places.... cylinder walls scored...

Bottom line -------- CHECK IT OUT BEFORE YOU BUY. A good deal ain't such a good deal when you get screwed.