PDA

View Full Version : Some small updates...nothing huge.

trapin
02-08-2005, 09:40 AM
I installed some DS&E parts on my car about a week ago. They are the 3" drop springs and their mono to mulit-leaf conversion kit. I'm quite happy with the springs, if you remember...I was having some problems with the Hotchkis springs I had on there. The car had about 5.75 inches from the top of the tire to the bottem of the wheelhouse lip. Now with the DS&E springs it has about 3.5 inches. Don't know how much of that will be eatin' up with the weight of the drivetrain and back seat loaded on it but I'm guessing I might need to do a 1 to 2" spacer eventually. I have some before and after pictures.

Before (http://www.infamouscamaro.com/Present4.JPG)

After (http://www.infamouscamaro.com/Camaro51.JPG)

Mono to Mult-leaf conversion kit (http://www.infamouscamaro.com/Camaro52.JPG)

Rick Dorion
02-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Nice, Tony.

I'm assuming weight will help(?). I just put Global West leafs in which are stated to give a 1 1/2" drop. My tire top is just tucked into the wheel well. As this is on a 69, are the openings on yours more rounded, giving more of a gap?

68protouring454
02-08-2005, 10:07 AM
sorry to butt in, but yeah 67-68's have a round wheel well, where as 69's have a straight cut off wheel well, which helps so much in getting the tire above the 1/4 lip, without channeling the lowest you can get a 68 is like steilows red witch, which has an awesome stance and if i end up with anything close to that i will be pleased.
jake

MarkM66
02-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Trapin,

Do you want to sell the Hotchkis leafs?

Y-TRY
02-08-2005, 10:35 AM
You may have already seen my pics, but here's my '68 with Hotchkis springs, 1" blocks and a 285/40/ZR17 on 9.5" rims...... The rear is a bit longer than stock so I have 6.25" backspacing on there. This is about as big as I could go without cutting the car. There is slight rubbing on steep, angled, inclines.

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/New2

trapin
02-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Mark....I sold the springs locally back in December.

I am going to just wait and get the full weight of the vehicle on them with the engine, trans, back seat, interior and fuel tank assembly before I make any adjustments.

On a side note; MAN does my car look ratty in those pictures. I hate taking pictures of my car during trial assembly. Looks nasty. :eek:

Steve Chryssos
02-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Looks good Tony,
Judging by your wheel and tire combo, you will be way happy with the 3" springs. Every car is different, so you won't know til you know. Case in point, I installed a bigger fuel cell a coupla months back and now, if I fill the tank up the ass is too low. So the advertised spring drop is relative.

XcYZ
02-09-2005, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't sweat it, Tony. I have the DSE 3" drop leafs, and I think they're great, right where I want it to be.

Steve Chryssos
02-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Oh yeah..one more thing. You may find yourself fiddling around with tailpipes and shock length with the 3" springs--but it's still worthwhile. So save those parts for last--after the car is all together.

jannes_z-28
02-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Another important thing to remember that is easy to forget when you're under the car putting the springs in place.

-- Don't tighten the shackles until the car is fully loaded (engine and trans mounted) on the ground.

Jan

Steve Chryssos
02-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Yeah. Good one. And don't forget the little sleeve that fits between the bushing and the bolt. Ask me how I know that. I dare you. What is this: Leaf spring day?

trapin
02-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys, good points. I did not consider the shocks and tail-pipes, I assumed there would be no problem. Guess I'll find out when I get to that point this Summer when the undercarriage is done. All the main bolts are loose on the springs as they were on the old ones. I almost want to say I might have got a bad pair of springs from Hotchkis...but I'll never know for sure. I hope everything works out and I don't have to adjust the height with blocks or anything....but ride height is a major concern of mine. For me it makes or breaks the car. Plus it would negate the mono-to-multi leaf conversion kit (which I really like).