PDA

View Full Version : 5.3 ssr engine questions.

Musclerodz
03-12-2006, 04:56 PM
I know where a 5.3 aluminum ssr bare long block is for $800. Has 2K miles on it. How different is the block to a ls1 or ls2 block? How much could it be stroked? How good are the heads? Not to familiar with this motor but I think the price is right. he has another person looking so I need to move quick on this if it will work. Thanks

Mike

almcbri
03-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Mike,

I have done a little research because I plan to use a 5.3 vortec with aluminum heads. LS1 intake, heads, and misc. parts will work with that motor. I thought all SSR engines were 6.0L? I may be wrong but I thought I remember seeing one at at dealership with a 6.0 As far as bigger HP potential, I am not sure about a different camshaft and stroking is available. I like these engines though!

Musclerodz
03-12-2006, 06:37 PM
The first year or two had an aluminum block 5.3L, later models went to 6.0L.

Mike

turboteg
03-12-2006, 09:45 PM
I would stay away from the 5.3 block, unless you plan on getting it sleeved, although even in that situation I do not know if you could bore it out as far as the sleeved LS1 blocks. The 5.3 comes with a 3.779" bore, vs. 3.905" for the LS1, and 4.00" on the LS2's as well as the LQ4 iron truck motors. The small bore really hurts power potential, and even with a 4" crank in there you're only displacing 360 cubic inches, and your cylinder breathing is hurt tremendously by the valves being so shrouded. The cylinder heads on this block are fine, with a smaller chamber than the LS1's so they are a common upgrade to be ported and put on LS1 shortblocks to bump up the compression for a good N/A setup. That is a good price for the block, however, and if you plan to sleeve it to run a large bore it might be cheaper to buy this motor and have it sleeved rather than an LS1 or LS2 block.

For what it's worth, quickly throwing a 3.779" bore into my 4.125 x 4.000 LS1 motor setup that I have done up in Engine Analyzer results in a loss of 64 peak horsepower and 100 peak ft-lbs of torque, with the greatest losses being a whopping 165 ft-lbs of torque down at 3000 RPM's. If you arn't looking for huge power the 5.3 might be for you, but I'm the kind of guy who feels 500 WHP in a 2400 pound package makes for an "ok" daily driver, so maybe I'm not the most sane :)

Musclerodz
03-13-2006, 11:29 AM
It is a bare engine minus the intake. I would either resell it, or put it back for another project. I like the idea of bolting a magnacharger to it. No desire to go crazy with this engine, it would make a good daily driver. Not going in the Camaro either. It looked like a steel for an aluminum engine so I am considering buying it.

Mike

Payton King
03-14-2006, 01:05 PM
You can find an LS1 block in the $400 range...