PDA

View Full Version : So Cal conversion expert ???

Yenko68
08-07-2012, 01:28 PM
If I have a 68 Camaro and a TKO 600 and if I buy a Vortec long block are there any shops in So.Cal that I could drop the car trans and motor off and have them do the rest? No hack jobs or 100k jobs just a nice clean set-up. I'm a hardworking family guy that just wants to drive his 15 year dream for the 1st time and never stop. I know I can save tons doing it myself but sometimes it is easier to swipe the card and be able to drive it over having it sit for years rotting away. I have been hoping someone makes an entire swap kit but I don't know anyone local that has done this swap yet. Thanks

214Chevy
08-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure there isn't anything you cannot get or do in So Cal.

ironworks
08-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Why a vortec long block? If your going through all the trouble you might as well atleast install a truck ls engine. Probably cheaper in the long run any way.

Yenko68
08-08-2012, 08:17 AM
I should have been more Clear. I'm looking to do the truck Ls swap. I know how much free time I have and after waiting 15 years to drive my baby I'm at the point I either want it done or gone. I just want to find a legit place that will do a decent job and maybe find a ballpark price if I have the trans,car and I buy the long block "TRUCK LS". I'm not talking SEMA quality just a nice honest daily driver that when I open the hood it doesn't look like a nightmare.

Jakespeeds
08-08-2012, 08:51 AM
There are so many choices in So Cal it would help to know the city your in.

Jake

ironworks
08-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I should have been more Clear. I'm looking to do the truck Ls swap. I know how much free time I have and after waiting 15 years to drive my baby I'm at the point I either want it done or gone. I just want to find a legit place that will do a decent job and maybe find a ballpark price if I have the trans,car and I buy the long block "TRUCK LS". I'm not talking SEMA quality just a nice honest daily driver that when I open the hood it doesn't look like a nightmare.

I can usually find really low mileage LS truck engines, 5.3. The the neighborhood of 3500 with trans mission. You will have to change the intake as they usually hit the hood. The LS1 intake works fine. And changing the factory truck bracket system to a stock LS1 style system usually does the trick.

Yenko68
09-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back but I thought I scored a good deal on an 2006 LQ4 but the guy cut the harness and did not give the computer module or the pedal assembly. I basically have the longblock with throttle body down to pan with the all the pulleys still on it. I have been trying to research the engine and conversion parts since my last post. I'm worried this will set me back at least 2k just to get the brains and the cords to make it talk to the engine. Any reccomondations about where to go from here? I know I will have to get another flwheel spacer and bellhousing to mat up my new TKO600 to it but from here I don't know much else.

Sanchez Garage
10-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Were in so call are u?

Yenko68
10-26-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm located in Ridgecrest,CA. I'm exactly 90 miles from Lancaster, Bakersfield, and Victorville. I just scored a LQ9 from TB to cats minus the harness,pedals, and ECM. I have a new in box TKO 600 kit and I just got two books from Barnes and Nobels to read about what it needed. That is as far as I have gotten.