PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Opinions

Buick Motorsports
03-11-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm preparing to order my gauges and I'm going with an all in dash set up in my Buick....I can fit two 3 3/8 & five 2 1/16 gauges. I have sort of settled on the following:

Autometer Ultra Lite 90 degree sweep, electrical units

3 3/8
Speedometer
Tachometer

2 1/16
Oil Pressure
Water temp
Volt meter
Fuel level
D-Pic

As additional info, I will be running a 400+hp carbeurated SBC.
How does this sound? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jason

Blown353
03-11-2006, 08:21 PM
You may want to look into the new Ultra-Lite II's... the lighting is WAY better than the oldschool reflective edge-lit Autometers. The II's have illuminated numerals and pointers, much like modern cars.

I'd also skip the D-pic... it's more a gimmick than anything else. Oil temp would be a much better option in its place.

The 270 degree sweep electrical gauges are quite nice but they're often 3-4X the cost of the 90 degree sweep gauges.

Buick Motorsports
03-11-2006, 09:12 PM
The D-Pic will allow me to test any changes in performance as I make changes. While I realize that the gauge may not be entirely accurate against specific testing ie. skid pad, dyno.....it will provide a baseline for the car.

There is no where around my place to do skid pad testing and the like. This would at least provide me some data in measuring my vehicles progress.

Blown353
03-14-2006, 02:26 PM
True, but I'd prefer to see a more useful gauge permanently in the car (oil temp) and leave the G-meter duties to something temporary like a G-tech pro that you can suction cup onto the windshield.

Buick Motorsports
03-15-2006, 03:27 PM
True, but I'd prefer to see a more useful gauge permanently in the car (oil temp) and leave the G-meter duties to something temporary like a G-tech pro that you can suction cup onto the windshield.

That's a good point!!!

This is why I posted.

Fluid Power
03-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Check out www.classicinstruments.com Very nice stuff. It is a little spendy, but the quality and customer service is worth it. As an added bonus it is made in the USA!

Darren