PDA

View Full Version : Some LS9/T56 HELP please

72LemansGT
07-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm working on a 1967 Camaro that I'm trying to put an LS9 with a Keisler magnum T56 in. I have run into a problem with the Keisler T56 not bolting up to the LS9. There is a gap of about 3/4" where the main shaft bottoms out on the back of the crank before it will mate with the T56. I found a guy that can build me a spacer but keisler said there isn't enough adjustment on their hydraulic set up to compensate for the spacer. I was hoping someone in this forum could help me trouble shoot this problem or has maybe done this swap before.:thumbsup:

DETON8R
07-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Are you sure you have the right transmission for the engine?

The bell housing, input shaft and front mounting plate for the T56 are different for the SBC and LT1 versus the LS engine.

Sorry can't help you on the 3/4" spacer question and the throwout bearing question, however it seems like there are adapters out there, for many different setups, so you may not need a custom spacer if you know what you have and what you are adapting to.

72LemansGT
07-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I have a magnum T56 from keisler transmissions for an LS based engine. The bolt pattern for the LS9 and magnum T56 are the same.

rallystyle
07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
check out stielow's build for what he has been doing to run a t56 on the ls9 clutch setup.
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=36652&page=22

page 22 post 212 is where it starts at.

youthpastor
07-23-2012, 04:43 PM
the guy that developed that spacer plate is here in Washington, PM me and I can get you his info.

rusty63ss
07-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Are you sure you have the right transmission for the engine?

The bell housing, input shaft and front mounting plate for the T56 are different for the SBC and LT1 versus the LS engine.

The LT1 style will bolt up without issue, w/o starter and flywheel, for mockup and that is it.

Check your pilot bushing. GM has two different ones for the LSx motors, one long and one short. Your pilot must match your tranny from what I understand.

Mike Norris
07-27-2012, 07:01 PM
The LT1 style will bolt up without issue, w/o starter and flywheel, for mockup and that is it.

Check your pilot bushing. GM has two different ones for the LSx motors, one long and one short. Your pilot must match your tranny from what I understand.

To elaborate more, there is a larger (late model) pilot bearing that fits flush with the back of the crankshaft. Then there is the smaller (earlier) pilot bearing that sets deeper into the crank. This is most likely the culprit.

Mike Norris

72LemansGT
07-27-2012, 10:32 PM
To elaborate more, there is a larger (late model) pilot bearing that fits flush with the back of the crankshaft. Then there is the smaller (earlier) pilot bearing that sets deeper into the crank. This is most likely the culprit.

Mike Norris

The LS9 engine we are running comes with the corvette pilot bearing which has the big clunky bearing. I was told by D&D that I could run a Pilot bearing GM has been running from the mid 50's to present and his spacer and everything would work. I was just hoping someone had maybe done this swap specifically and could let me know. This build is for my brother in-law and I want it to be perfect without having to buy multiple parts just to send it back because it doesn’t work. When we bought the engine it came with the LS9 flywheel and dual disc clutch. I’m hoping I can run the LS9 flywheel, LS9 dual disc clutch set up with the small pilot bearing, the Keisler magnum T56, Keisler hydraulics and the D&D spacer. I was worried at first about the D&D spacer and the hydraulics do to very little adjustment on the hydraulic set up. When I researched it more I found that the spacer goes between the Trans and bell housing and not the engine and Trans. So there should be no effect on the throw of the hydraulics. Please let me know if anyone thinks otherwise.

Thanks Chris

imjustjames
01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
You should definately post this guy when its done!

ironworks
01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
My bet is you have the wrong bellhousing. That magnum has a viper input shaft and is longer. The bellhousing depth is the same for the dual disc clutch cars and the single disc clutches. We ran into the same issue. Swap to the viper bell with a 1/4 spacer and you should be golden.

http://lakewoodindustries.com/drivetrain/bellhousings/ls1-to-dodge-viper.html

MattG
02-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Same thing happened to me and it was the pilot bearing..use the old smaller size and you'll be fine!

chr2002ca
02-04-2013, 01:11 PM
You should check over in the Project Updates section in the "427ci LS2 sleeved, dry sump" build thread. Dale had to by a spacer plate from D&D that goes in between the bellhousing and magnum transmission in order to move the transmission back about 7/8". Might apply to your situation also.

Bowtieracing
02-13-2013, 01:06 PM
I had excatly the same with my LS7 and D&D T56. Problem was big corvette style pilot bearing.

If you have this

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/emalikyltti/86eee8bb.jpg

You need to take it out and use this one wich fit 3/4" deeper.

http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/gm-pilot-bearing-14061685