PDA

View Full Version : lowering question

MaxHarvard
02-07-2005, 12:22 PM
if i want to lower my car, do i need drop spindles too or can i use the stock ones with a lowered spring?

68protouring454
02-07-2005, 12:43 PM
max, you do not need to use lowering spindles and they really should not be used for any type of track use, i would reccomend using your stock spindles with some sdrop springs from dse/ hotchkis etc
jake

MaxHarvard
02-07-2005, 01:26 PM
max, you do not need to use lowering spindles and they really should not be used for any type of track use, i would reccomend using your stock spindles with some sdrop springs from dse/ hotchkis etc
jake

That was my plan! :D

sinned
02-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Although if you could find a well built drop spindle that would be a much better way to go. Drop spindles improve the front suspension geometry, combine drop spindles with the Guildstrand mod and it would handle very well.

Add increased height ball joints and it would really turn.

MarkM66
02-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Although if you could find a well built drop spindle that would be a much better way to go. Drop spindles improve the front suspension geometry, combine drop spindles with the Guildstrand mod and it would handle very well.

Add increased height ball joints and it would really turn.

How do drop spindle improve geometry?

sinned
02-08-2005, 10:11 PM
With drop spindles you lower the center of gravity without changing the relationship between the LCA pivot and ball joint. As that relationship changes and the ball joint is raised compared to the pivot your FVSA and roll center height goes to hell. If you ran drop spindles with the G mod and tall ball joints you could easily and cheaply compete with some of the better AIX cars out there. I would also recommend running the Landrum style hidden spring adjusters and cup style springs for height set-up.

Drop spindles also tend to help reduce scrub radius which is a huge help on a road course or even just aggressive highway driving.

68protouring454
02-09-2005, 07:13 AM
dennis, i am going to run the landrum spring adjusters and springs, really can't beat the price plus i will get the height just where i want it, now do you know anything about the sed spindles? i guess there is a stock and a tall version, i take it the tall version just moves the ball joint up like a tall ball joint would do?? do the sed act like a dropped spindle in a first gen??
jake

sinned
02-09-2005, 12:07 PM
I am going to let Tyler explain this exactly as he is building them. The SED spindle will act as a drop spindle and yes, I would go with the tall version.

68protouring454
02-09-2005, 12:58 PM
com on tyler speak up!!
jake

trapin
02-10-2005, 07:44 AM
MaxHarvard.....for a '68 Camaro you are going to need the DS&E 3" drop rear leaf springs. The 2" drop springs will NOT work. Trust me on this. I have a '68 and with the rounded wheel lip profile, you HAVE to get the car down lower than a '69 where the rear lip profile is not rounded.

MaxHarvard
02-10-2005, 08:18 AM
MaxHarvard.....for a '68 Camaro you are going to need the DS&E 3" drop rear leaf springs. The 2" drop springs will NOT work. Trust me on this. I have a '68 and with the rounded wheel lip profile, you HAVE to get the car down lower than a '69 where the rear lip profile is not rounded.

Ummm why would i need a 3" drop in the back? that seems kinda rediculous for my car.

I'm only putting new springs in the front and lowering blocks in the back.

Steve Chryssos
02-10-2005, 08:30 AM
It's not really a 3" drop. Just a name--cause 2" drop was already taken. If you are running a 26" or taller tire, you may prefer a 2" spring, but if your tires are in the 25" range, the three's help the tires fill the wheelwell. What are the specs on your rear tire?

Lowering blocks may serve as a temporary solution, but I'm pretty sure that you will need some crazy-ass blocks to get the rear down. And anything more than a 1" block can be dangerous and promote wheel hop.
Dangerous, he says? The stock design has the spring perches clamped directly to the shock plates. Space them out and the entire load is placed on the U-Bolts. DSE now makes a spacer kit that works with the lowering blocks which help.
So I'm not saying don't do it. Just check in with those who have "been there, done that" while you juggle lowering blocks to establish desired ride height. And plan on dropped leaf springs as a permanent solution.

Here's the mojo:
-Try to avoid using more than a 1" block.
-Buy only extruded aluminum blocks (not cheapo cast blocks which will crack while you are tightening the U-bolts or on the first test drive).
-Get new longer U-Bolts and hardware and trim as necessary after tightening.
-Tighten the U-bolts evenly and in stages (Duh)
-Throughout the process, think about what can and will happen if that rear gets away from the car (Very Bad!)

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. Better safe than sorry.

MaxHarvard
02-10-2005, 09:50 AM
It's not really a 3" drop. Just a name--cause 2" drop was already taken. If you are running a 26" or taller tire, you may prefer a 2" spring, but if your tires are in the 25" range, the three's help the tires fill the wheelwell. What are the specs on your rear tire?

Lowering blocks may serve as a temporary solution, but I'm pretty sure that you will need some crazy-ass blocks to get the rear down. And anything more than a 1" block can be dangerous and promote wheel hop.
Dangerous, he says? The stock design has the spring perches clamped directly to the shock plates. Space them out and the entire load is placed on the U-Bolts. DSE now makes a spacer kit that works with the lowering blocks which help.
So I'm not saying don't do it. Just check in with those who have "been there, done that" while you juggle lowering blocks to establish desired ride height. And plan on dropped leaf springs as a permanent solution.

Here's the mojo:
-Try to avoid using more than a 1" block.
-Buy only extruded aluminum blocks (not cheapo cast blocks which will crack while you are tightening the U-bolts or on the first test drive).
-Get new longer U-Bolts and hardware and trim as necessary after tightening.
-Tighten the U-bolts evenly and in stages (Duh)
-Throughout the process, think about what can and will happen if that rear gets away from the car (Very Bad!)

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. Better safe than sorry.

I understand what your saying, but it bugged the hell out of me because i've posted my car 100 times on this site, and if anyone looked at the back, they'd know it doesnt need a 3" or even 2" lower in the back... I'm talking about the front! hence my question about "DROP SPINDLES"

Here's a pic to show you i dont need a 2" drop in back.

http://anti-rice.com/me/DSC01069.jpg

68protouring454
02-10-2005, 10:19 AM
you could esily do 2 inch in front, lowering coils, and 2 or 3 in back, this will bring you down so the tire is close to the 1/4 and fender lips, the springs on there now are probaly worn out and sagging a little anyway, thus you think you do not need that much drop
jake

MaxHarvard
02-10-2005, 10:21 AM
you could esily do 2 inch in front, lowering coils, and 2 or 3 in back, this will bring you down so the tire is close to the 1/4 and fender lips, the springs on there now are probaly worn out and sagging a little anyway, thus you think you do not need that much drop
jake

The springs are brand new. You can still read the production number stamped on them from Year One.

Steve Chryssos
02-10-2005, 10:47 AM
if i want to lower my car, do i need drop spindles too or can i use the stock ones with a lowered spring?

Right then...I'll be sure read the entire thread next time as opposed to just the last post. I hear you barkin', Big Dog:

Use stock spindles with lowered coil springs. Avoid dropped spindles.

Edit: However, I will reiterate that a 2" drop leaf spring will probably not lower your car an entire 2 inches. It's just a name.

MaxHarvard
02-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Right then...I'll be sure read the entire thread next time as opposed to just the last post. I hear you barkin', Big Dog:

Use stock spindles with lowered coil springs. Avoid dropped spindles.

hehe, no worries man, just kinda crappy trying to ask a question and i get a response about something unrelated, but thanks for the input :)

68protouring454
02-10-2005, 11:02 AM
well either way, your car could take 3 inch dse springs in back and 2 in front and still sit level or a slight rake to front, easily, period
call dse and get there sb springs and there 2 or 3 inch rear springs but on a 68 i would go 3, like steve says they say 3 inch drop but aren't, but there are enough guys around including steve to know what works, no matter what you have in for springs new or old, go this route for the pro touring look, leave it at that
or don't ask for opinions and get mad that your car does need need to be lowered 2 inches, we are saying use the 2 inch lowqering springs,we did not say it lowered it 2 inches, its just from seeing cars and guys doing it we know the 2 inch coils are the way to go, **** take your springs out and cut them to what you want, since it seems you know what you want
jake

MaxHarvard
02-10-2005, 11:20 AM
well either way, your car could take 3 inch dse springs in back and 2 in front and still sit level or a slight rake to front, easily, period
call dse and get there sb springs and there 2 or 3 inch rear springs but on a 68 i would go 3, like steve says they say 3 inch drop but aren't, but there are enough guys around including steve to know what works, no matter what you have in for springs new or old, go this route for the pro touring look, leave it at that
or don't ask for opinions and get mad that your car does need need to be lowered 2 inches, we are saying use the 2 inch lowqering springs,we did not say it lowered it 2 inches, its just from seeing cars and guys doing it we know the 2 inch coils are the way to go, **** take your springs out and cut them to what you want, since it seems you know what you want
jake

Nice attitude when you didnt even answer my original question, you just went on a tirade of your own. Btw, next time use some punctuation.

~Eric

Steve Chryssos
02-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Easy boys. This is Lateral-g. We don't do that over here.

XcYZ
02-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Easy there, Eric. This isn't the Anti-Rice. Not long ago you posted photoshopped pics of your car at different ride heights, and even you agreed that it looked better lowered. I gave you a set of lowering blocks to lower it. Don't get bent out of shape because people were giving suggestions on lowering the car when you've been talking about it for quite some time now.

68protouring454
02-10-2005, 11:33 AM
sorry scott and steve, it does not make sense what he's asking, then saying??
tirade, i doubt, puncuation sucks my ass
your question was, i want to lower my car, do i need drop spindles or can i use my stock ones with drop springs??
we came back and said its better to use the stock spindle with lowering springs and either dse or hotchkiss 2 inch springs.
i answer your question and you say thats what i was gonna do??? why ask the question then??
then you say you are going to use blocks in back and we say its not really safe and is much better to use dse or someone elses springs, the dse 3 inch ones are perfect with 67-68 rounded wheel wells, 3 inchlike steve said is not 3 inches, its just a name, but enough people have used the 3 inch leafs including steve we know they work great on 67-68's , after steve tells you that you say yo u don't need 2 inches drop in front or 3 in the rear, when we said it was not an actual 2 and 3 inch drop, i had no tirade, you are not reading the questions you are asking, or you already have your own thoughts, so why ask, just say thank you and do what you want, it is your car.
jake

XcYZ
02-10-2005, 11:41 AM
It looks like the constructive side of this thread is done; I'm locking it.

Eric, if you want more answers to your questions, start a new thread.