PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas. Radiator and accessory drive

BBC71Nova
07-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Ok this project is gonna cause me to start drinking, errr more :) .

I've been talking to Ron Davis about a radiator w/shroud and fan setup. I also was planning to run the Frontrunner accessory drive. Unlike the cool kids I'm planning to run a big block. The car is a '71 Nova. I've got the block and trans installed for mockup.

So now it gets interesting. From block face to core support face I have roughly 13.25". From what I've been able to find out the Frontrunner requires about 6.5". More at the A/C compressor but that's because of the clutch stick out which given the location I don't think that will be an issue. The radiator and fan setup needs 7". Hmm so 7 + 6.5 = 13.5 > 13.25 = I'm screwed :willy: .

I looked high and low to find an accessory drive that requires less room but it seems like the Frontrunner requires the least. Any suggestions? May look at the PRC radiator setups but they look to also be similar depth.

Ideas? Suggestions? LS conversion is looking really good about now...

Thanks!

camcojb
07-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Ok this project is gonna cause me to start drinking, errr more :) .

I've been talking to Ron Davis about a radiator w/shroud and fan setup. I also was planning to run the Frontrunner accessory drive. Unlike the cool kids I'm planning to run a big block. The car is a '71 Nova. I've got the block and trans installed for mockup.

So now it gets interesting. From block face to core support face I have roughly 13.25". From what I've been able to find out the Frontrunner requires about 6.5". More at the A/C compressor but that's because of the clutch stick out which given the location I don't think that will be an issue. The radiator and fan setup needs 7". Hmm so 7 + 6.5 = 13.5 > 13.25 = I'm screwed :willy: .

I looked high and low to find an accessory drive that requires less room but it seems like the Frontrunner requires the least. Any suggestions? May look at the PRC radiator setups but they look to also be similar depth.

Ideas? Suggestions? LS conversion is looking really good about now...

Thanks!
still may work. The dimensions they're giving you doesn't account for the taper of the fans, especially in the center of the radiator. They're giving you the measurement to the furthest tip of the fan motor. There's more room everywhere else.

BBC71Nova
07-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Yeah Jody thats true but it looks like the tensioner is pretty well inline with the fan mother location. Today I'm going to try and get time to confirm the placement of the components in relation to the fan motors.

I should also mention the 7" radiator w/fans depth already includes use of the thin profile Spal fans instead of the standard fans RD uses. That swap gained an inch I think they said.

Oh, and the reason for the stress is the radiator is considered custom so there isn't any returning it.