PDA

View Full Version : LS1 v Aftermarket brakes

Bluesman1
06-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Ok guys I need some input on LS1 v Aftermarket brakes on my 70 chevelle, I have read several articles on converting over to LS stuff. I can see one advantage to the LS stuff, for starters if something breaks on the road you can go to just about any auto parts to buy replacement parts. But you don't have the show appearance of the aftermarket brakes. But if I go with LS stuff I will have to switch from my 15" wheels (which I really want to keep) to 17's or 18's. If I go with say wilwood 12.19 brakes I can keep the 15's. So I thought I would make a post for input, I'm trying to make up my mind as to which way to go. I know the LS route would be more economical as far as brakes go but the money I save there will not even cover a 1/4 of the expense of the wheels and tires to upgrade. Anyways thanks for any help in advance.

Howard

instro84
06-09-2012, 10:30 PM
depends on what you want brakes for, if you want them for performance ls1's are pretty good i have them on my turbo buick that runs low 11's in the quarter, was a cheap and simple upgrade i run 16 inch wheels thou.

Bluesman1
06-10-2012, 12:25 AM
depends on what you want brakes for, if you want them for performance ls1's are pretty good i have them on my turbo buick that runs low 11's in the quarter, was a cheap and simple upgrade i run 16 inch wheels thou.

Cool thanks for the response.

Howard

hifi875
06-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I have them fr and rr and they work good. If u clean em up and paint the calipers and rotor hats they will look as good as anything else

SLO_Z28
06-10-2012, 03:23 PM
It sounds like you want them for the looks, in that case the wilwood D52 calipers are a slight downgrade from stock but they look great and are a direct bolt in allowing you to keep your current wheels.

rixtrix1
06-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Ok guys I need some input on LS1 v Aftermarket brakes on my 70 chevelle, I have read several articles on converting over to LS stuff. I can see one advantage to the LS stuff, for starters if something breaks on the road you can go to just about any auto parts to buy replacement parts. But you don't have the show appearance of the aftermarket brakes. But if I go with LS stuff I will have to switch from my 15" wheels (which I really want to keep) to 17's or 18's. If I go with say wilwood 12.19 brakes I can keep the 15's. So I thought I would make a post for input, I'm trying to make up my mind as to which way to go. I know the LS route would be more economical as far as brakes go but the money I save there will not even cover a 1/4 of the expense of the wheels and tires to upgrade. Anyways thanks for any help in advance.

Howard

If you don't mind changing to larger wheels and can fab the hubs and brackets yourself, you can convert to LS1 brakes for under $300( not counting the wheels and tires!). Otherwise, to keep the 15" wheels, it's gonna cost more to buy a pre-fabbed brake kit. Lots of options going this way.

They work fantastic on my S10, but I have 17's on it. Haven't tried my stock 16" ZQ8 wheels to see if they will fit, but I think it will be very close.

214Chevy
06-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Howard, I say keep the 15's and go wwith the Wilwood's. The price of tires and rims will far outweigh the price of buying a ready made kit from Wilwood. But, in my honest opinion I like Baer Brakes better myself as far as looks and function. Their new T4 kit is the shyza!! ANd there are many vendors on here with good prices too. I'll give you a call later.

hifi875
06-11-2012, 09:58 AM
heres mine!

Bluesman1
06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Howard, I say keep the 15's and go wwith the Wilwood's. The price of tires and rims will far outweigh the price of buying a ready made kit from Wilwood. But, in my honest opinion I like Baer Brakes better myself as far as looks and function. Their new T4 kit is the shyza!! ANd there are many vendors on here with good prices too. I'll give you a call later.

Sounds good Marcus

Bluesman1
06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys for the input.

Howard

214Chevy
06-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Here you go Howard. Timing is everything and this is perfect timing. Not necessarily the brand you want, but it saves you money. Plus, you can keep your 15" wheels.
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=37155