PDA

View Full Version : Speedtech frame mount help

John510
04-26-2012, 11:32 PM
My engine sits about 2-3inchs too far forward. So as I was searching for setback mounts I found that I have my energy mounts upside down. Would this cause the engine to sit really far forward? Heres a pic of what Im talking about. The engine also sits too high and needs to come down about 1/4 inch or so.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/JohnS510/5df61360.jpg

camcojb
04-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Upside down affects height a bit (upside down is lower). It does not affect front to back though.

John510
04-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Upside down affects height a bit (upside down is lower). It does not affect front to back though.

So if the engine is too high now then turning them the right way would make it go even higher? Well actually its the tranny that is too high not the motor.

Just making sure before I pull the engine again. Thanks for the help Jody

camcojb
04-26-2012, 11:57 PM
So if the engine is too high now then turning them the right way would make it go even higher? Well actually its the tranny that is too high not the motor.

Just making sure before I pull the engine again. Thanks for the help Jody

yes, upside down lowers the engine slightly, so you won't want to flip them in your case. You are very welcome.

MaxHarvard
04-28-2012, 07:35 AM
What plates did you use?

Also the frame mounts have about an inch adjustability backwards too.

Mines sits 1/2" off the frame with the ATS mounts and poly bushings.

Btw your pic is kinda hard to see.

rons69camaro
12-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Were you able to get the motor to sit closer to the firewall? I'm having the same problem. My LS1 is sitting about 3.5 inches away from the firewall. I'm using the Speedtech subframe with the Speedtech mounts from AutoKraft. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the engine closer to the firewall?

cencalc6
12-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Were you able to get the motor to sit closer to the firewall? I'm having the same problem. My LS1 is sitting about 3.5 inches away from the firewall. I'm using the Speedtech subframe with the Speedtech mounts from AutoKraft. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the engine closer to the firewall?

adjustable Brackets will fix your problem....I was also running Autokraft brackets...Google Adjustable LS Engine mounts or Ebay

rons69camaro
12-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Any chance anyone would have any advice on which ones work best? Dirty dingo has a couple of options.

Z06vette
12-09-2012, 05:00 PM
I have used the dirty dingo DD 3 position mounts on a few LS swaps. One set is in my wayne due subframe w/ stock fbody oil pan. I used the "back" position. Its close to the firewall. The Last 2 LS swaps we used same DD motor plates on stock subframes. I think we used the nuetral or middle location. What does speedtech recommend for motor plates? I can't tell where/why your motor is too far forward from that pic. Scott

John510
12-18-2012, 06:46 PM
I ended up not moving it back. If you move it back farther you need to clearance out the trans tunnel. Since my car was already painted I left the Energy mounts in there.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/JohnS510/95B4B29D-60F9-4E1F-9ABC-C2281EE10BE7-2878-000001C1E88F5645.jpg

97 Z Me Go
12-26-2012, 10:06 AM
I have same frame and mine sits the same. I bough everything from speedtech knowing it fit and wouldnt have to micky mouse finding and trying 100 differnt combonations.

Blake Foster
12-26-2012, 12:14 PM
The way you have it installed is Correct and it is sitting in the designed location. when we were designing the system there were many things to consider. We built some 1.75" rear offset mounts for my Nova and it really started to cause problems with all kinds of things here are a few.
steering shaft to header
depending on which drive system your using
alternator to frame and motor mount
Rack to Block
P/S to frame
Then there was the little issue of not being able to remove the transmission with out removing the subframe.
The trans tunnell needed to be modified ( as you found out)

There will always be compromise when designing things and customer ease of install needs to be at the top of the list.

We mounted the motor in the most ideal location, for as many reasons as we could conceive.
Not to say that is can't be moved as we have done it on my car but you need to know that there will be other issues that you will need to contend with if you choose to go down that road.

thanks

coolwelder62
12-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Here's what I did too solve my motor mount problem.Dirty Dingo $155.00shipped.Over 2in of ajustment.They fit perfect.:thumbsup: http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h324/bmock5/motor003.jpghttp://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h324/bmock5/motor002.jpg

Z06vette
12-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I tried those initially but they would not fit with the oem F-body accessories. Could not mount the alternator. Had good luck with there DD (double D mounts) that have 3 positions- forward/nuetral/back