PDA

View Full Version : Long tube headers 69 Camaro

orangevert
03-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Please help!!!!

Oil pan as well? I need to buy one soon

What long tube headers are most of you running with a 1998 LS1 T56 in a 69 Camaro, I picked up a set SP engine plates? If I need to I will send them back.

Doing a LS1,799 heads, I going to send them out for a mild port job, LS6 maniflod Ported?, and a Poted throttle body, TSP wants me to use a 228R but in Colorado I think its alittle small,

Im used to BBC, so still want the nasty lope of a BBC.

Z06vette
03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm building a 68 firebird right now & am using dynatech headers with holley pan. Those headers recommend the ATS mounts. I'm using the dirty dingo DD mounts that put the motor in stock location. Header fit was good, but I did have to grind just a bit off the side of the bellhousing on pass side, and put a small notch in the driver side motor mount. My pan was just barely touching the crossmember in one spot, but i did not use the ATS mounts. Probably a non issue if I had. 228R is a decent cam. I thinks its great for the street & keeps some low speed driveability. I personally wouldnt go much bigger just for driveability. If you can live with the low speed issues of a big cam, then you could step it up. I'm running 228/232 on a 112 in my 69 camaro, and we had to work on the idle/driveability/surging issues a few times before we got the tune where i was happy with it. I drive it a lot so i wanted no issues. For gearing, I had 3.73 for a while, then went to 4.10's- it really keeps the motor right in the powerband now. Scott

orangevert
03-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Hey Scott, I order Cam last night, Its a Comp Cam 231-239-112+4 617-621
I'm going to rum LS6 heads with bowl work and have them decked to get compression up to 11-1, LS6 intake and TB both ported, and 1-7/8 long tubes then have it tuned. I live in CO 5900 ft.

If I run a fast intake at sea level they say 530ish HP
As built with Ls6 intake 495hp This is my starter motor, LS7 was just going to be stupid $$$ to build,

This LS1 will be fun to drive for now.

Thanks Kirk

tubbed69
03-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey Scott if you are running the stock subframe you can set the engine back 1.5" and the F body oil pan works great,I have the DSE sub with the F body pan and the 1.5" back mounts with the Hooker headers and have tons of clearance on both

Rybar
03-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Kirk I have Stainless Works Longtubes for stock steering. Mine were the older style and the current ones they sell were revised for more steering box clearance. Also running S&P plates and an Autokraft oil pan.

I'm also running a TSP 233/239 595/603 112 cam and while it sounds nice it does have some low speed driveability issues and is a little peaky on a small cube LS1. You should be able to meet your power goals with the heads and Fast intake, I'm also running a ported Fast 90/90 and ETP 215cc heads with 60cc chambers and cometic head gaskets to bump compression to 11.5:1 the smaller cube motor will want more compression.

Just remember adding up all these parts can quickly add up to the cost of a stock LS7 and the LS7 would net a more useable torque curve with similar peak HP. I'm talking upgraded timing chain, ported oil pump, new lifters, new pushrods, larger injectors, valvesprings, retainers etc etc.

orangevert
03-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Kirk I have Stainless Works Longtubes for stock steering. Mine were the older style and the current ones they sell were revised for more steering box clearance. Also running S&P plates and an Autokraft oil pan.

I'm also running a TSP 233/239 595/603 112 cam and while it sounds nice it does have some low speed driveability issues and is a little peaky on a small cube LS1. You should be able to meet your power goals with the heads and Fast intake, I'm also running a ported Fast 90/90 and ETP 215cc heads with 60cc chambers and cometic head gaskets to bump compression to 11.5:1 the smaller cube motor will want more compression.

Just remember adding up all these parts can quickly add up to the cost of a stock LS7 and the LS7 would net a more useable torque curve with similar peak HP. I'm talking upgraded timing chain, ported oil pump, new lifters, new pushrods, larger injectors, valvesprings, retainers etc etc.

I was wrong on my cam spec's I'll up grade to a fast? if i find a deal on one.

I would like to hear a sound clip of your car if possible, your car is BasAzzzz

Rybar
03-30-2012, 06:14 PM
I was wrong on my cam spec's I'll up grade to a fast? if i find a deal on one.

I would like to hear a sound clip of your car if possible, your car is BasAzzzz

Thanks Kirk, here are a couple older videos:

ErOAMZ2q6qg

HWYQ6NCJqJ0

Z06vette
03-30-2012, 07:57 PM
My 69 has the engine set back & I was able to use the stock pan with the wayne due subframe. The mock ups I tried with the stock pan did not work with the stock subframe on the firebird. I was afraid if I tried to make that work, I'd run into other problems fitting the headers, steering column to box, crossmember, etc. Keep us posted on your build along the way. Pics please:thumbsup:
Scott