PDA

View Full Version : Any Corvette Gurus? need to figure out value of car

wiedemab
03-24-2012, 04:19 PM
I'll try to make this brief.. I would appreciate any help in assessing the value of my Step-Dad's car. He isn't really a "car guy". He's always owned Corvettes and has had some high dollar cars in the past. He's asked me to help him figure out what his '62 Fuelie is worth.

I'm far from a Corvette expert so bare with me if I mis-speak. It is a '62 Fuel injected car (all numbers match). It was restored around 1990. It is a radio delete car and he also has the hard top for it. He has letters from an NCRS rep that inspected the car prior to and during the restoration which states that the car is what it is supposed to be. The really ODD thing about this car is that it was ordered from the factory to be painted a 1960 Pontiac Blue color. He has a notarized letter from the original owner (a school teacher from Ohio) that explains the entire order process and gives the history of the car while he owned it. It may be the only one that came from the factory in this color (not sure how to prove that though).

Since the restoration, he has driven the car off and on and it now resides at his home in Florida where he continues to drive it once or twice a month around town. To be back in top condition the car would need to be restored again, but everything from the original restoration is still in tact. The chrome is starting to show age, as is the paint etc..

I will post a few quick pics of it as well. If anyone has a thought of the value or knows someone that would be able to discuss the car in more detail I would appreciate it. I have copies of the documentation that accompanies the car that I could send to someone for review.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brandon

wiedemab
03-24-2012, 04:27 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KLR85TX5AxE/T247Jbj_WLI/AAAAAAAAICQ/5c3PO0QZymM/s640/IMG_6489.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0MVrlzzhdek/T247Sd7oV3I/AAAAAAAAIC4/IC-c4AFV86g/s640/IMG_6496.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I1AFG1lkWhc/T247SAZsIxI/AAAAAAAAICw/PJuTUkwCiG0/s640/IMG_6492.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AS9JtrhDxHs/T247QTypGII/AAAAAAAAICo/naOIEZ6djDU/s640/IMG_6491.JPG

a few more pics at....

https://picasaweb.google.com/117038219755571058760/WayneS62Vette?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKma6O-Mg-mHVw&feat=directlink

out2kayak
03-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Nice looking car.

Perhaps the best place to look for cost advice is at:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/

:cheers:

wiedemab
03-24-2012, 07:13 PM
sweet car, are you a professional photographer

Yeah - - point taken. We were down visiting them and I forgot to take pics until we were getting ready to leave for the airport so I grabbed the point and shoot and snapped a few. Obviously if someone was interested in the car, I could get better pics of it outside etc..

He is essentially weighing the options of either having it restored again or just selling it, but he's not really sure what it's worth. It isn't a matter of money for him, I think he is just tired of having it sit. He drives his C6 Vert all the time and is used to the modern amenities and just doesn't enjoy the '62 all that much any more. Anyway, you get the idea....

WSSix
03-24-2012, 08:13 PM
It's worth a lot if it's as documented as you say. The color deal will be difficult to prove for everyone. However, if he can show it as being factory delivered it would only help the value. It's a good looking color that won't turn most people off.

Sounds like he needs to sell it if he's just not enjoying it any more. I'd find an appraiser to get a true value of the car. There should be any number of NCRS appraisers or approved appraisers in Florida. That would be worth the cost and would give you a documented value of the car.

wiedemab
03-24-2012, 08:24 PM
That is a good thought. I have the name of the guy that inspected the car during the restoration. He might be a good one to start with. I know the car is worth a fair amount, but it's tough to say because a full restoration on it wouldn't be cheap either. I know he paid quite a bit for it in 1990 when he bought it.

I will have him work on hunting down some NCRS folks to come look at it.

Thanks!

WSSix
03-24-2012, 08:26 PM
That's why I say sell it. It'll cost a bunch to restore and take a while to recoup the investment. I seriously doubt he could restore the car and then sell it for a profit. You never know though with these odd ball factor cars. Documentation is the key. The more legit documentation the car has, the more it's worth.

wiedemab
03-24-2012, 08:31 PM
If he restored it again, he'd keep it. I honestly don't think that he wants another headache.........which I think having it restored could be. He's in the stage of his life where he wants to kick back relax and enjoy himself, not worry about dealing with a restoration shop.

Whatever the value of the car, in reality to him it is an inconsequential amount. He just wants to make sure that if he does get rid of it that he gets a fair amount.

I'll update the thread with any info that I get thought NCRS just for informational purposes.

Thanks again

clill
03-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Cool car. I would say at least 50K.

FETorino
03-24-2012, 11:01 PM
If he wants top dollar get it NCRS documented and scored.

http://www.ncrs.org/

The corvette purists will want that to prove it started life as claimed and it remains true to original. The value can be all over the map depending on what that score is.

AM.MSCL
03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Contact the Corvette Museum and discuss with them about tracking down the history of the paint. It may take some time but they should be able to help point you in the correct direction.

If it is documented and you can get another NCRS value of some status will help.

wiedemab
03-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Just a little more info regarding the color.

I read through the letter from the original owner again and he states that it was painted Newport Blue. He details the process he had to go through to get the car in that color. One dealer told him they would order the car in primer only and paint it at there shop. Finally the dealer in Camden, OH got in touch with the factory in St. Louis and they said they would paint it any current GM color for no extra charge. The original owner had seen the Newport Blue on a '60 Pontiac and liked it.

When the car was to be restored in 1990, a NCRS rep inspected it and wrote a letter stating that at that time to the best of his ability to determine..........the paint on the car was the original factory applied paint - Newport Blue. It was subsequently restored.............and then driven for 22 years to arrive at the current state - all there, but a bit worse for the wear.

It starts, runs and drives just fine. It probably needs valve seals as it smokes a bit on startup.

EDIT: Just did some quick research on the paint code. It is listed at 4032 in the documents that he has. That is listed for several years as a GM color including '62. The Newport Blue nomenclature was used for the Cadillac though. Several folks have suggested on the Corvette forums to look behind the driver's seat for the crayon mark for the paint color code - I will look into that.

wiedemab
03-25-2012, 08:36 PM
You are correct...I misread the letter. It was Kettering-Hill Chevy in Camden, OH......according to the letter. Ask him if that sounds right? I remembered the Kettering part...sorry