PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

robin93784
03-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Just Bought This 70 Challenger 3/4 Done, Super Nice Car, as good as new Factory 340 4 Barrel Sublime With Black Interior, most parts to finish Car, it Has Been Restored This Far All Orig. But The Ta Stuff thats been Added, I Am Going To Change Hood, And Still Need Drive Train, So Pro-tour Or Orig? What Should I Do?

DFRESH
03-21-2012, 11:59 PM
Well, you may hear this more than once on this site, but let me be the first, you for sure should go PT.

I'll give you a couple reasons--my own personal opinion and feelings of course-

You use the car more when it is setup for PT
It handles far better than a resto
Because it handles far better, you enjoy driving it and drive it more
The vast majority of PT folks are the best there are --especially here at Lat G
You don't see to many of these setup for PT--hence it makes it even cooler
I think in the end, the cost is about the same (many variables of course)

Two reasons why you may not want too--

Your Mopar fanatic brohams are not quite as understanding about such mods on such a fine piece as this---you would have some haters occasionally--but they would be offset by the number of folks who would kill for a PT Challenger done right.

You could finish restoring and sell it and buy two 69 Camaros. That's a strong case for resto--however I am a bit biased. :lol:

Good luck and let us know what you do!

Doug

elitecustombody
03-22-2012, 12:16 AM
You made right choice posting about your dilemma here and not on moparts or c-c. Build a car you can beat on and enjoy instead of dusting it off and worrying if tail light panel has right sheen or wheelwells and underside has correct overspray :cheers:

Jay Hilliard
03-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Very nice car. If it was a 440 or 426 hemi, of course take it to original. No brainer there. I, like others have stated...

1) You will enjoy driving a PT car much more than original
2) Resale value for PT is higher than most base model cars restored back to orig.
3) Going PT on a challenger would be awesome and really show up the new challengers, especially if you used the latest drivetrain :thumbsup:

dj3
03-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Asking the question here is like walking into a bar and asking drunks if you should have a drink.

tgvettes
03-22-2012, 09:18 AM
I say go original on that one.

66novass
03-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I say go original on that one.

x2^^^ then sell it and buy an old beater if you want to go all out pt :)
One of my all time favorite body styles :hail:

dug
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
wait a minute, those things were torsion bar suspension?

94snglturbo
03-22-2012, 02:26 PM
i almost bought that car.. it was very close to me but wouldnt come down in price to where i thought it should of been.. if you dont mind can you pm me what he finally came down to?

kochevy67
03-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Sell it to me and be done with it. For cheap of course. Lol

Vegas69
03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Asking the question here is like walking into a bar and asking drunks if you should have a drink.

:thumbsup:

Jano4
03-22-2012, 09:39 PM
It will look great either way. Personally though, I am all for PT. :cool:

WSSix
03-22-2012, 10:17 PM
I say build it to drive. You may not need or want to go all out with all the changes many of us are or will be making to our cars, but for everyone's sake, do not make it a trailer queen that never gets driven. Yeah, Mopars are in short supply compared to other brands but they have enough factory restos and show cars. Make it enjoyable to drive for you. That is after all why the car was designed in the first place. 40 years of innovation just offers a better driving experience.

On a personal note, I love everything about the AAR and T/A cars. I think a car with all the proper markings on the outside but with updated suspension, brakes, and drive train would be stellar. If money allows, I'd with a go fuel injected solid lifter small block backed by a six speed trans. I think that would be the ticket to having a great looking and running car that would be a pleasure to drive. It would be a modern AAR-T/A car.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

robin93784
03-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Thank-you For All The Insight I Am Thinking Mild Pro-tour Look With Late Model Fuel Injected 5.7 Or 6.1 Motor And Tranny Not To Crazy But A Nice Looking And Good To Drive Car, What Makes It So Hard Is The Car Has Been Restored So Nice Making It All Orig. Is Just A Matter Of Finding A Few More Orig Parts.

John510
03-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Go Pro Tour!

Put a new SRT8 in that beeeeatch!

frankv11
03-23-2012, 01:12 AM
If there is not anything really special about that car that makes it really valuable stock. Definitely go PT , I restored my 64 Chevelle not to stock but mild pt and wished I would have gone full pro touring, because I just can't enjoy it as I wish. I'll take out for a full day and I'm not crazy about driving it for a while. So that's why I'm building 69 camaro now. So save time and money GO PT sooner the better
You just can't beat 40 or 50 years of technology.

ChevelleNV
03-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Go Pro Tour!

Put a new SRT8 in that beeeeatch!
I agree...

SBDave
03-23-2012, 04:07 PM
You can go mild PT so it can be converted back... that's what I'm doing with my 73 cuda. My car however is one of the least sought after e-body's and it's a beater.
-Dave

76orangewagon
03-23-2012, 05:57 PM
With todays advances in bolt in modifications you can always easily upgrade front/rear suspension without major surgery. Everything else is definatley reversible. The car looks great as is, but upgrades are the way to go.

67XR7
03-31-2012, 04:25 AM
With todays advances in bolt in modifications you can always easily upgrade front/rear suspension without major surgery. Everything else is definatley reversible. The car looks great as is, but upgrades are the way to go.

:thumbsup:

67XR7
03-31-2012, 04:28 AM
if you want to go back later on you can but you put this in and drive it. you'll be in love!!!

http://www.magnumforce.com/store/detail.asp?ProductID=3099&CategoryID=41&BrandID=&Category=&SubCategory=&Search=&Page=

robin93784
04-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Thank You For All The Response I Have Decided To Go Mild Pt Since The Car Is A 70 With A Production Date Of 7/31/70 I Would Think It One Of The Last 70 Model Built So I Want To Leave The Car So It Can Go Back Orig. Not Sure What Motor To Do Yet But Just Bought A Set Of 2011 Srt Black Leather Bucket Seats That Look Killer!

DTM Racing
04-11-2012, 08:13 AM
if you want to go back later on you can but you put this in and drive it. you'll be in love!!!

http://www.magnumforce.com/store/detail.asp?ProductID=3099&CategoryID=41&BrandID=&Category=&SubCategory=&Search=&Page=

That is hands down, the WORST possible kit you can buy for a Mopar that will be driven.