PDA

View Full Version : Stock 99 Camaro LS1 Radiator/Fans in 69 Camaro??

DETON8R
03-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I have then entire engine setup from a 1999 LS1 Camaro, and I'm considering running the OEM Gen 4 Radiator and fan set up in my 1969 Camaro. Fabrication of brackets and whatever else needs to go into the set up is no problem. And I plan on running the stock fan set up as well, as it is in good shape too.

Anybody else do that? Any problems? Any Pointers?
OR....
Go with an aftermarket radiator, then build a sheet metal shroud to mate the Gen 4 F-body fan assembly to go onto the new radiator.

I'm a bit concerned that the capacity of the 4th gen OEM radiator looks pretty small, but it is what GM put in the car and it seems to work. So why change what the OEM's did?

Beach Cruiser
03-19-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm planning on the same thing in my 67, I'm going to mount it at the stock angle and take the cold air intake up and over like the stock 4th gens and build a ram air box behind the grill. Just make sure you duct everything into the radiator. Also, I thing the radiator is taller than the stock radiator support opening, something you'll need to take into consideration.

hud697
03-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Alot of guys making serious hp in 4th gens keep the stock radiator, you should be fine.

DETON8R
03-19-2012, 11:47 PM
The car it came out of had a SLP Cold Air Kit, which I'm planning to "re-purpose" for the 69. I was going to pull the cradle/lower mount for the radiator from the 4th gen and attach it to the first gen radiator core support. Next would be to box in the edges and run it as close as possible to the angle from the 4th gen with the upper cold air box mounted in the same fashion as it was mounted in the 4th gen.

Yeah, got some sheet metal work to do.... I'm considering opeing up the radaitor core opeing and reworking to make it wider if necessary. And if heat is a problem, I'll make a custom spoiler/splitter to draw air from down low if necessary.

The only thing I have not trial fit yet is the RS headlight buckets, as the radiator is wider and taller than the first gen radiator. Angling the radiator will take care of most of the height difference, not sure what the width will do yet....

Beach Cruiser
03-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Sounds exactly like my plan...