PDA

View Full Version : AC unit for shop? Suggestions

jjarky
03-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Looking to put AC in my shop over the next couple of months. Already have a nice Modine nature gas heater so I've been looking at packaged ac units which houses all the components outside. Seems like a good idea since its air only and I wouldn't have to take up valuable shop space for the air handler of a conventional unit.

I'm only cooling 700 sqft but I like overkill so it cools quick. I've been looking at a goodman GPC1330H41A http://www.acwholesalers.com/Goodman_All_In_One_Air_Conditioner_p/12051.htm.

Anyone else done something similar or have any comments on the goodman brand?

p51mus
03-05-2012, 02:29 AM
I have been in the a/c business for 30 years now. Goodman is one of the cheaper brands out there, but they will do the job if sized right. Be careful about oversizing. If you cool down a space to quickly, you can run into humidity problems. Alot depends on the size of your shop, how well its insulated and how you want to use the a/c. If humidity is not an issue, then you can cool down a space quicker. If you dont work out of your shop all the time and only maybe an hour or so daily, it will be ok, cause you can cool it down quickly when you are there and then shut it off. On the other hand, if you use it for a business everyday then i would suggest having a professional do a load calcultion. Everbody thinks in the a/c world bigger is better. There are so many variables involved to really getting the optimum effec. for the smallest elect. bill. Trust me, 76-78 degrees at 50-55% humidity feels better than 72 at high humidity. Good Luck.

jy211
03-05-2012, 09:20 AM
http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/

B Schein
03-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I put in a one ton mini split in my 500sqft garage last summer worked grate. Relatively cheap was able to install it my self. The only special tools needed were a vacuum pump and adapter fitting to hook it up.

HIFLYR
03-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Just had a 3 ton system put in the garage a 30 X 50 now summer nights will be much better in the shop.

jjarky
03-05-2012, 11:28 PM
I have been in the a/c business for 30 years now. Goodman is one of the cheaper brands out there, but they will do the job if sized right. Be careful about oversizing. If you cool down a space to quickly, you can run into humidity problems. Alot depends on the size of your shop, how well its insulated and how you want to use the a/c. If humidity is not an issue, then you can cool down a space quicker. If you dont work out of your shop all the time and only maybe an hour or so daily, it will be ok, cause you can cool it down quickly when you are there and then shut it off. On the other hand, if you use it for a business everyday then i would suggest having a professional do a load calcultion. Everbody thinks in the a/c world bigger is better. There are so many variables involved to really getting the optimum effec. for the smallest elect. bill. Trust me, 76-78 degrees at 50-55% humidity feels better than 72 at high humidity. Good Luck.

Thanks for insight. Gives me some things to consider.

jjarky
03-05-2012, 11:28 PM
I put in a one ton mini split in my 500sqft garage last summer worked grate. Relatively cheap was able to install it my self. The only special tools needed were a vacuum pump and adapter fitting to hook it up.

I'll be PMing you, would like to see a pic. Thanks.

parsonsj
03-06-2012, 12:11 AM
700 square feet, installed a minisplit system 6 years ago, and it still works great. I have to have it serviced, vacuumed, and charged annually, but in Florida, I'll pay for that every time.

jjarky
03-06-2012, 09:17 PM
700 square feet, installed a minisplit system 6 years ago, and it still works great. I have to have it serviced, vacuumed, and charged annually, but in Florida, I'll pay for that every time.

So I'm not familiar with ac lingo I guess. What's a minisplit? Does that simply mean a split system of a lower tonnage?

parsonsj
03-06-2012, 09:26 PM
From the Google God:

http://www.mini-split.com/

Hope that helps.

jjarky
03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
From the Google God:

http://www.mini-split.com/

Hope that helps.

AH. Got it. What BTU did you go with? Wall or ceiling mount? They appear to be just as expensive if not more than a standard ac system. What's the upside? No ducting?

parsonsj
03-06-2012, 10:30 PM
No ducting, ease of installation, small footprint, I guess. My system cost me $1400 6 years ago -- which was a lot less than a standard ducted setup, I think.

I'll check on tonnage.

jjarky
03-06-2012, 11:34 PM
No ducting, ease of installation, small footprint, I guess. My system cost me $1400 6 years ago -- which was a lot less than a standard ducted setup, I think.

I'll check on tonnage.

Thanks. Would like to see a pic if you have one?

chevguy
03-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I worked for carrier air-con for many years, a package unit in my opinion is the best way to go by far.Easy installation,easy access for servicing(get a return air filter put in so you just remove that to clean). Haven`t worked in the industry for quite a while now but carrier was turning into chinese supplied junk for the smaller units, dunno about the package units.

Revved
04-03-2012, 03:05 PM
I went with a 5 ton Trane HVAC unit with gas heat in my shop. Its in TX and I work out of it year round so its got to stay comfy. I've got 2000 sq ft with high ceilings (12' eaves and 16' at the ceiling peak). When I built the shop I went with 2x6" walls so i could run thicker insulation and covered the whole outside with solarboard, bricked it, and have 2 10x16 insulated garage doors to make it as thermally stable as possible. (Sorry not a metal building fan!) I had it installed while the shop was being built so I had the ducting run in the drop down ceiling. My HVAC really doesn't have to work hard to keep things cool in the summer or warm in the winter and keeps things comfortable to work in. Installed was about $5500

Another thing to suggest is ceiling fans if you've got the head room. I've got two 54" industrial fans and it makes a HUGE difference just circulating the air. I have another buddy locally that works out of his 3500 sq/ft metal building, insulated with the same size insulated doors but higher ceilings and he runs two 5 ton HVAC units almost constantly. Its been in the mid-80's this last week which is just hot enough to keep the doors closed and his shop is so stuffy he has to run the A/C just so he doesn't sweat out.