PDA

View Full Version : New Headers?

BC69
02-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Its time to get ready for some spring tuning on my 69's small problems. Toward the end of last summer my original exhaust manifolds (I know, I know!) began to leak on the passenger side. Right where the manifold meets the turndown pipe. So it needs to be fixed, I tried my own at home remidies throughout the end of the season but it seems to have gotten worse.

I was thinking about getting a set of headers, or shorty headers to replace the manifolds, or to just save some $ and fix the leak. Any recommendation on headers or shorty headers? Also, any idea what the labor costs at a good shop would be to A: Fix the leak B: Install new headers?

Thanks Guys
Tim

Steve Chryssos
03-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey Tim,
Been doin some header research lately. If I recall, you have a mild small block with cast iron exhaust manifolds. A set of Patriot Clippster headers might be a very good solution for your application. Price is about Two and change, I think.

http://www.pertronix.com/exhaust_products/clippster.htm

BC69
03-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks Steve,
I like that look alot, and thats not a bad price at all. Problem is I got an estimate on the install from my shop! Looking at about $600 for the install! So I might just fix the exhaust manifold! I know!! I don't want them, but I dont know yet.

Also the rest of the exhaust is a little tweeked too, remember the roads from the first PT trip? I bottomed out somewhere and one of my pipes comes out a little cockeyed now!

I will keep those in mind, just concerned bout labor prices now.

Tim

Steve Chryssos
03-10-2006, 01:21 PM
......Problem is I got an estimate on the install from my shop! Looking at about $600 for the install!.....

Is that for a complete exhaust? You can buy a Flowmaster American Thunder and then just have any old musfler shop join the two sections with headpipes.

Yeah, I remember it. Baja for pro-touring. Great day.

http://homepage.mac.com/streetfytr/.Pictures/Posting/DSCN0289.jpg

BC69
03-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Thats price is just to install the header to the exhaust. I have a new system from the manifold back. I like this shop, its a real restoration place, they have taken care of me very well, but they are not cheap!

Pics! Can you email me your pictures from that day? [email protected]

Thanks
Tim

Steve Chryssos
03-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Uhh. I thought that pic came from you. I'll see what I have.
/S

BC69
03-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Ohh, haha. No, its not mine..I am in the picture. But I do have alot from that day, but I am always open for more.