PDA

View Full Version : '69 vs. early 2nd gen?

ro9397
01-31-2005, 11:27 PM
From my brief visits I'm breathless at the mods of some member's rides. Kudos & congratulations to all!

If I get a Camaro the mods will be moderate. It will be a daily driver. Suppose a '69 & a '72 were both screwed together tightly, had good-running mostly-stock 350s, A/Ts, bolt-on suspension upgrades, quiet but throaty exhaust & intake, & noise control damping. How would you compare the following:

1. Overall driving experience?
2. Ease of entry/exit for tall & large driver?
3. Handling precision?
4. Noise level cruising at 70mph?
5. Ride smoothness or lack thereof?

Thanks for your time in responding. Looking for someone near San Francisco or Sonoma County willing to take me for a ride. I'm willing to submit to screening questions.

Best regards,
Jim R., Petaluma CA

Keith
02-01-2005, 01:41 AM
Well, here's where I get my @$$ kicked verbally for my 1st gen blasphamy on these forums.... I'm sure not as much as others here, but I'm a big Camaro nut. Funny, I know, because I'm building a Chevelle but I've owned every generation of Camaro except a 4th gen but my g/f current owns a 98 so I think it qualifies. Stock to stock, I would say the 2nd gen 72 Camaro is a much better driver. Definitely less power from the motor but the suspension is a lot better in the handling dept. and GM took alot more measures to stuff more sound deading material under the carpet, headliner, etc. However, the support from aftermarket for the 1st gen and 69 Camaro in every aspect of the car is almost overwhelming. The second gens are just starting to get there but 1st gens are still king. Both can be built mildly to achieve very similar results in all the areas you are comparing; I think right down to it you're going to basing your decision on looks and availabilty. My first car was a 67 and is still my first love but boy do I have a soft spot for the 70-73's as well (I've owned a 73 and a 70). So good luck with the decision and welcome.

XcYZ
02-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Hi Jim, welcome!

Keith summed it up great, and I agree with him, it boils down to the body style you prefer and the availability. You can build each car to pretty much do the same thing. If I wasn't doing a 69, I'd build an early 2nd Gen just like the Hotchkis F-71. I love that car.

You brought up 5 points:

3. Handling precision?

Is the car going to remain stock, or do you plan on making suspension upgrades? And for ease of entry/exit... well, the F-bodys aren't the biggest cars around.

Steve Chryssos
02-01-2005, 08:43 AM
How would you compare the following:
3. Handling precision?

All of these issues are contingent upon the level of modification that you are willing to apply. Each of these five elements can be easily improved such that a mildly modified 1st gen can eclipse a stock second gen.

Here are some vehicle specs:
1st Gen
Wheelbase: 108.0 inches
Width: 72.5 inches
Height:51.0 inches
Length: 184.6 inches

2nd Gen
wheelbase: 108.0"
Width: 74.4"
Height: 50.5"
Length: 188.0" (later 2nd gens are even longer, I believe)

So you can see that the two platforms are quite similar. Wheelbase is identical which is critical. But the other dimensions suggest that platform to platform, the 2nd Gen may ride better and handle better as it is longer (ride) as well as lower and wider (handle better)

clill
02-01-2005, 08:52 AM
All of the above and the second gens are always quieter.

Ummgawa
02-01-2005, 08:55 AM
3. Handling precision?

1. I smile whenever I drive any old car. usually when some asks how my 69 Z-28 drives, I say, Awesome.

2.At 6'4" and 275 lbs, I kinda let myself relax and fall into my 69. My 74 is much easier, I just don't have to squash up so much to get in. By the way it took alot of practice to get in my 69 as one smooth movement as not to knock my right ear onto the top of my head.

3.With the Gulstrand Mod. my 69 is a great handleing car. What it lacks in handleing is more than made up in kicking the rear end out coming out of a curve (I think that is the apex to you Wine and Cheeze boys)

4. Its loud. I like the windows down so I can hear the exaust or just the wind blowing.

5. My 74 Z drives like a Caddy. My 69 drives like, well, a 69 (see 1 & 3). My PT 69 will probably be as rough as a PT car will get. It will love smooth roads and hate bumpy ones. I won't care as long as its done.

lil427z
02-01-2005, 11:35 PM
i love all my 2nd gens 70-73 . i have a73 z28 rs , 70 z28 rs , 71 z28 rs . :thumbsup:

rick kirkindall

c.schulz
02-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Part of the reason that I sold my 69 was to go back to 2nd gen for the ride and drive of the car.First at the time no one was doing these car five years ago.Second was that the front geometry had been fixed.Much more of a highy styled car.But you just cant beat the proportions of the first gens.
So I'd say go for the second gen if you can find one in good condition,watch out for rust in these cars.
Chris

Steve Chryssos
02-02-2005, 02:34 PM
At 6'4" and 275 lbs, I kinda let myself relax and fall into my 69. My 74 is much easier, I just don't have to squash up so much to get in. By the way it took alot of practice to get in my 69 as one smooth movement as not to knock my right ear onto the top of my head.

six-four 275? Damn! You probably could not get into my car at all--which is fine considering that you admit to wearing man-thongs.

http://homepage.mac.com/streetfytr/.Pictures/camaro%20pix/interior1.jpg

Ummgawa
02-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Stevie my man, that is why I am building a 69 Vert and its a two seater!! And the man thong thing. Well try to put it out of your mind until the Power tour, dude.

zbugger
02-02-2005, 08:38 PM
And the man thong thing. Well try to put it out of your mind until the Power tour, dude.

Yeah, because that's when you get to see it for yourself live and in High Def..... :yes:

Steve Chryssos
02-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey watch it! The only people allowed to call me Stevie are my disreputable, jogging suit wearing italian friends. ;)

edit: 'cause I don't really have any say in the matter.

Ummgawa
02-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Steve
If it's any consolation, It would take me more than 15 seconds to fall off of a 100yard tall building. :D No disrespect intended on the Stevie thing Stevie. ;)

jonny51
02-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Found this over at PT.com and its in Rosa.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6161&item=4523796926&rd=1

907rs
02-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Found this over at PT.com and its in Rosa.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6161&item=4523796926&rd=1\

Damn, thats nice! Makes me wish I would have never sold the 70 I had as a teenager.

jonny51
02-03-2005, 07:44 PM
\

Damn, thats nice! Makes me wish I would have never sold the 70 I had as a teenager.

Yeah it looks pretty clean,it would be nice if it held a 16k.It is about 15mins from me.