PDA

View Full Version : Help the new guy drop his chevelle

cobra2547
02-13-2006, 07:47 PM
OK so I would like to drop my chevelle but don't know all the parts I need to complete this.I am more of a late model mustang guy. This is what I have 71 chevelle 454 power disc brakes front drum rear recently installed. 12 bolt rear with stock control arms and ladder bar I plan on putting a set of aftermarket arms and removing the ladder bars. Here is a current picture of my car.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/cobra2547/mantown008.jpg
This is what I want in terms of ride height
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/cobra2547/18front20rear.jpg
so what is the shopping list going to consist of. What do I defineately need and what are some nice option that are not really needed.
Thanks

SS454
02-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Hotchkis springs all around for about 300.00 from Jegs. I've got a 70 Chevelle with a 454 big block and those springs give it a nice stance.

Marcus SC&C
02-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Yep,a set of Hotchkis springs or Eibach Pro springs would do nicely. A good set of shocks (Bilstein,Koni,QA1) to go with those will really improve ride and handling. If you`d like to go to the next level and put together a combination to pick on BMWs in the twisties we can help you with that. www.SCandC.com Mark SC&C

cobra2547
02-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Do you think i need a set of drop spindles or just the springs will do?
Thanks

almcbri
02-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Coil Springs would work just fine for dropping your car in the front, and a good set of hotchkis rear leaf springs can bring the car down. There is a chevelle on Marcus's Sc&c website that has done some cools modifications, check it out.

Derek69SS
02-14-2006, 12:40 PM
...a good set of hotchkis rear leaf springs can bring the car down...I think you meant coil-springs ;)

Of course, new springs & shocks like Marcus suggested, and for the rear, if you want mild, replace the bushings with new rubber bushings... if you want something more, UMI makes lower arms with QA1 spherical ends on both ends, adjustable uppers, again with QA1 sphericals... then there's Wolfe Racecraft, which makes spherical bearings that go in the axle housing also. :thumbsup:

I bought my whole rear setup from Wolfe, but they have all solid rod-ends rather than the teflon-bushed QA1s, which would help isolate the road-noise and vibrations. Their lowers also do not allow for a sway-bar.

almcbri
02-14-2006, 02:00 PM
I think you meant coil-springs ;)

Of course, new springs & shocks like Marcus suggested, and for the rear, if you want mild, replace the bushings with new rubber bushings... if you want something more, UMI makes lower arms with QA1 spherical ends on both ends, adjustable uppers, again with QA1 sphericals... then there's Wolfe Racecraft, which makes spherical bearings that go in the axle housing also. :thumbsup:

I bought my whole rear setup from Wolfe, but they have all solid rod-ends rather than the teflon-bushed QA1s, which would help isolate the road-noise and vibrations. Their lowers also do not allow for a sway-bar.

Derek,

yeah I was still asleep when writing that response. "Coil Springs"