PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Hotchkis Coils

SS454
02-13-2006, 07:24 PM
I've installed Hotchkis coil springs on my 70 Chevelle on all four corners, they lowered it about and inch, also I've put the tall ball joints and adjustable upper A-arms from Savitske Classic & Custom, Wow can't say enough about how great this car drives, but the front of the car still sits about 3/4 of an inch to high for my taste. I have been driving the car on Saturdays for about a month so I think they've settled as much as there are going to, my question is has anybody done the calculations so as to how much of the coil I'm going to have to cut to get the drop I need, 1/2 of one coil, 1/4 of one coil? I'm just trying to afford the hassle of taking apart, cutting, installing, driving, taking apart, cutting, driving, etc,.
Also if I decide to lower the rear, what are my options, can't cut those.

Marcus SC&C
02-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Calculating the rate and height changes of the coils and it`s effect on ride height should work,but no matter how well the math is done it can still backfire. It`s a real pain but I still prefer to cut them 1/4 coil at a time,especially for small changes like 3/4". 1/4 coil will "probably" do it. The rear is a little more tricky. Maybe the easiest thing to do is call these folks http://www.coilsprings.com/ ,tell them what springs you`re running now and how much you want the new springs to drop it.
If you`d rather not go the custom spring route you could get a set of rear springs for a 3rd or 4th gen F body along with their rubber upper spring isolators (they only use a pigtail on the bottom). Try to get a similar rate or just slightly less than you`re running now,then trim the open upper coils until you get the ride height you want. It`ll increase the spring rate slightly but not enough to cause a problem unless you cut a LOT off.
Or you could get a set of comparable rate circle track rear spring in a shorter overall height and weld a set of spring jacks to the axle spring perches. Then you can set the ride height almost like you would with a coilover. We did this on out G-5 test car and it works really well. Mark SC&C