PDA

View Full Version : Template paper ?

preston
11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm surprised I couldn't find this in a search.

What are you guys using for template cardboard ? I thought Rad Rides use to sell some but not anymore. I have been using a thin cardboard poster board from STaples (not the stuff labelled poster board, that is too thin, this is a thin cardboard that is white) but they keep dropping it from inventory and it was pretty expensive too, $13 for 3 sheets.

I realize "real" template board is probably expensive too, but if I"m paying the bucks I may as well have the pro stuff.

Anyone have a link on a good source ?

DRJDVM's '69
11-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Just picked up a book by Bryan Fuller at SEMA...he uses "chipboard"...not sure where you can get it.... the book mentions shipping supply houses and upholstery shops. Its baasically really thin cardboard....

CRCRFT78
11-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Ok I'll let you in on my secret.:_paranoid I go to Costco and just grab all of the cardboard that they have separating the layers on the toilet paper/paper towel pallets. All they do is recycle it so they don't mind if I walk out with 10-15 sheets of it for FREE. I do ask though just in case the security nazi thinks he's saving the day by tackling me for stealing FREE cardboard. Its worked out good so far. Not too thin and easy to manipulate into patterns and shapes.

Sandbagger
11-28-2011, 07:13 PM
I use that reddish paper that goes under wood floors .

Garage Dog 65
11-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Chipboard (a.k.a. cardstock, patternboard, etc.) can be purchased at a local paper supplier. Most sell 26 point chipboard by the bundle (approx. 80 to 100 sheets) for about $54. Check sheets 26" x 38" which is a nice, large piece to work with. Purchasing in bulk saves a few cents per sheet and ordering from a qualified source (like these or another paper store in your area) assures that you will receive good quality chipboard.

Sample:

MILLCRAFT PAPER STORE Locations:

http://www.millcraft.com/locations.html

ULINE:

http://www.uline.com/BL_1852/Chipboard-Pads?Pricode=wj374&gclid=CLbj2ejd2qwCFQyFQAodu1Jmrw

National Packaging:

http://www.nationalpack.com/PAPER-PROTECTIVE-PACKAGING/CHIPBOARD/c-1-155-174/

Are just a few.

Jim

ccracin
11-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Chipboard (a.k.a. cardstock, patternboard, etc.) can be purchased at a local paper supplier. Most sell 26 point chipboard by the bundle (approx. 80 to 100 sheets) for about $54. Check sheets 26" x 38" which is a nice, large piece to work with. Purchasing in bulk saves a few cents per sheet and ordering from a qualified source (like these or another paper store in your area) assures that you will receive good quality chipboard.

Sample:

MILLCRAFT PAPER STORE Locations:

http://www.millcraft.com/locations.html

ULINE:

http://www.uline.com/BL_1852/Chipboard-Pads?Pricode=wj374&gclid=CLbj2ejd2qwCFQyFQAodu1Jmrw

National Packaging:

http://www.nationalpack.com/PAPER-PROTECTIVE-PACKAGING/CHIPBOARD/c-1-155-174/

Are just a few.

Jim

Show off!

Garage Dog 65
11-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Show off!

That will teach ya to axe me a question .... :P

Jim

Sieg
11-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Home Depot has a heavy beige/brown construction craft paper that works for some applications. Cereal boxes come in handy too. :D

rwhite692
12-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Manilla file folders are the perfect template paper. Also, the red rosin floor underlayment paper, as already mentioned.

DEIGuy38
12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Christmas is coming soon. Save all to boxes that your christmas sweater, underwear and socks come in.

preston
12-12-2011, 10:58 AM
I find that trying to use cereal or shirt boxes they just aren't big enough, and in my experience that cardboard is also a little bit too thin. I found the cardboard I was using was about .060 thick. Also, it helps quite a bit when it is white.

After being disappointed on line, I finally found what I was looking for at a Michael's craft store (I guess they are somewhat of a chain). It was called "Mat Paper" and used for framing pictures. Nice white, .060 cardboard in large 38*28 pieces.

As usual though it was expensive, I think $6 a piece. But it just works so much better than anything else. I have not looked online yet for "Mat paper" but looking online for chipboard was a bust for what I wanted.

Besides, the employees and customers at the craft store were a pleasant surprise, if you like that kind of nerdy arty cute library glasses type.

mrgm
02-26-2012, 02:34 AM
glad i found this post :thumbsup:

Tuske427
04-09-2012, 12:46 AM
I just use old cereal boxes (larger ones from costco), as well as soda can cases, etc. It's "chip board". For anything larger I'll tape it together, or, if I have saved any other old boxes. It's cheap and abundant.

rustbucket69
04-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Chipboard is very common at art supply stores and is generally very inexpensive. Used it all the time in architecture school for study model building. There are various thicknesses available depending on how rigid you want. The thin stuff is easy to cut with scissors.

GriffithMetal
12-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Uline.com sells chip board in thick and thin sizes. I buy the thicker type I think it ends up being about $1 a sheet for 70 sheets with shipping for the 38x26 size. Good stuff.

Tim Baillie
12-13-2012, 02:56 PM
I get my template cardboard 36"x36" from a few different local upholstery suppliers. I pay $1.50 a sheet for it, comes in a pack of 10 sheets usually.

That's the cheapest source I found, craft stores are way to much money IMO.

dontlifttoshift
12-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Make nice with the local printing company. I got a 4' stack of white chipboard that is about 24" x 36"......for free. This printer uses it as a separater between actual paper I guess and they just recycle it.

Bad94
01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Ok I'll let you in on my secret.:_paranoid I go to Costco and just grab all of the cardboard that they have separating the layers on the toilet paper/paper towel pallets. All they do is recycle it so they don't mind if I walk out with 10-15 sheets of it for FREE. I do ask though just in case the security nazi thinks he's saving the day by tackling me for stealing FREE cardboard. Its worked out good so far. Not too thin and easy to manipulate into patterns and shapes.

I do the same, but at Sams Club.

Donny i have a printing shop few doors down from our new shop, i will have to go talk to them about the paper.

64pontiac
01-07-2013, 08:01 AM
I second the cereal boxes and other packing boxes. We have just told all our family members to save them, it works well. We also stop by the local recycling depot and grab thin cardboard, it is always broken down into flat sheets!

Interesting on the Costco tip, I will try it out!

GregWeld
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Besides, the employees and customers at the craft store were a pleasant surprise, if you like that kind of nerdy arty cute library glasses type.

Hey! Why shop anywhere else??
:unibrow: