PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a LS7 tonight...

orangevert
11-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Im going to pick up a 07 LS7 block tonight from the machine shop, Now the engine researching begins, 500-600 hp is what Im aiming for, I'll be happy with 475 RWHP... I say that but Id rather over build it then under build.

If anyone has any spare LS7 parts laying around please let me know.

Thanks Kirk

Devil Dog
11-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Sounds exciting! :unibrow:

Good luck with the build :thumbsup:

XcYZ
11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
You goals will be easy with that motor. :thumbsup:

MaxHarvard
11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
The oil pan might be a challenge if your putting it in a first gen.

daytonayellaz
11-29-2011, 09:36 PM
The oil pan might be a challenge if your putting it in a first gen.

Will it be using the dry sump system? You could always buy a LS3 stroker crank to keep the cubes at 427 and then it would have the shorter crank snout. Then the motor can be ran in wet sump form. Then pan options are opened up.:cheers:

orangevert
11-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Will it be using the dry sump system? You could always buy a LS3 stroker crank to keep the cubes at 427 and then it would have the shorter crank snout. Then the motor can be ran in wet sump form. Then pan options are opened up.:cheers:

Daytonayellz..... Thanks, Im new to the LS stuff so if there is a forum or book that you can point me to. I've been hanging out at LS1 Tech looking for parts

This is the info Im looking for. I want to run a wet sump. When I bought the motor, I got 799 heads, a crank from a 6.0. rods pistons, water pump, timming cover,

How much of this can I use?

Kirk

daytonayellaz
11-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Daytonayellz..... Thanks, Im new to the LS stuff so if there is a forum or book that you can point me to. I've been hanging out at LS1 Tech looking for parts

This is the info Im looking for. I want to run a wet sump. When I bought the motor, I got 799 heads, a crank from a 6.0. rods pistons, water pump, timming cover,

How much of this can I use?

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Welcome to the LS family:thumbsup:

I dont know of a book that will have the information you need....as far as a forum looks like you have landed at the best ones so far:lateral: :cheers:

Im not sure where your at on budget for building this thing... But I will throw some stuff out there. I have a LS7 that spun the#1 rod bearing and have been trying to decide to stay dry or go wet. But my motor has only 4k miles and will not be getting any machine work. It was in complete long block form and is in excellent condition.

Im going to assume your intentions are staying with 427 cubes here...

Are you keeping the motor naturally aspirated? or running a turbo or super charger etc?

Ok...to run wet sump you will need to run a stroker crank with 4" stroke for a standard LS. Then you need to decide if you want to run 24x or 58x reluctor wheel. First one that pops into my head is the Callies cranks...compstar will be fine, and the next one would be the DragonSlayer. You can also go with a complete rotating assembly from callies,....this will get you crank, rods, pistons and rings, rod and main bearings. If you need rods and pistons..this would be the best choice. You will have a complete forged bottom end :unibrow: that will be good for whatever you throw at it.

Other options are taking a stock LS7 crank and having your machine shop cut the snout off to run wet sump. You can run stock rods and pistons. These can be found from time to time from guys who are upgrading there bottom ends. This will save you a little money.

Your going to want to go with a LS7 head or the equivalent in a aftermarket head. Mast heads are awesome! But again, I dont know your budget. The 799 is a cathedral port head...and a good one! its the exact same head as a 243 which is LS6 heads. But not what you want here.

Mast oil pan is a perfect fit for your car and comes with pick up tube,seal and new bolt kit.

Obviously wet sump oil pump will be needed, LS2,LS3 timing cover...the one you have may work if the cam sensor is in the right location.

There are some other misc things but this will get you started on the right path. I can give you my cell number if needed. Hope this helps:cheers:

daytonayellaz
11-30-2011, 09:32 AM
BTW... Nice car:thumbsup: We have a 67 vert as well...its in my avatar. It was Hugger Orange, but now in black epoxy primer. Hope to get it back on the road soon:cheers:

6D9 Matt
11-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Whats a good LS setup to buy if Im wanting to get around 500rwhp but then also throw a blower or turbo on there a year or two down the road (700-750 rwhp)?

I was thinking LS3, but not sure now that I am considering forced induction later.

daytonayellaz
11-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Whats a good LS setup to buy if Im wanting to get around 500rwhp but then also throw a blower or turbo on there a year or two down the road (700-750 rwhp)?

I was thinking LS3, but not sure now that I am considering forced induction later.

Hey Matt... Send me a PM and I help you out.. I hate to hijack Kirk's thread. :thumbsup:

David Pozzi
11-30-2011, 08:41 PM
This article shows how to convert an LS7 to wet sump using the stock LS7 crank: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1003_ls7_wet_sump_conversion/viewall.html

orangevert
11-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi Kirk,

I dont know of a book that will have the information you need....as far as a forum looks like you have landed at the best ones so far:lateral: :cheers:

Im not sure where your at on budget for building this thing... But I will throw some stuff out there. I have a LS7 that spun the#1 rod bearing and have been trying to decide to stay dry or go wet. But my motor has only 4k miles and will not be getting any machine work. It was in complete long block form and is in excellent condition.

Are you keeping the motor naturally aspirated? or running a turbo or super charger etc?

Ok...to run wet sump you will need to run a stroker crank with 4" stroke for a standard LS. Then you need to decide if you want to run 24x or 58x reluctor wheel. First one that pops into my head is the Callies cranks...compstar will be fine, and the next one would be the DragonSlayer. You can also go with a complete rotating assembly from callies,....this will get you crank, rods, pistons and rings, rod and main bearings. If you need rods and pistons..this would be the best choice. You will have a complete forged bottom end :unibrow: that will be good for whatever you throw at it.

Other options are taking a stock LS7 crank and having your machine shop cut the snout off to run wet sump. You can run stock rods and pistons. These can be found from time to time from guys who are upgrading there bottom ends. This will save you a little money.

Your going to want to go with a LS7 head or the equivalent in a aftermarket head. Mast heads are awesome! But again, I dont know your budget. The 799 is a cathedral port head...and a good one! its the exact same head as a 243 which is LS6 heads. But not what you want here.

Mast oil pan is a perfect fit for your car and comes with pick up tube,seal and new bolt kit.

Obviously wet sump oil pump will be needed, LS2,LS3 timing cover...the one you have may work if the cam sensor is in the right location.

There are some other misc things but this will get you started on the right path. I can give you my cell number if needed. Hope this helps:cheers:

Thanks Travis I really appreciate the response. I've been looking at Callies for my stroker kit, The heads I think Im going stock and have ported for time being. I would love to go MMS heads. I'm at motor and tranny on my build now, So I have been checking out Corvette forum,LS1 tech trying to find heads and intake,Misc parts. I'll keep you posted on my success.

orangevert
11-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi Kirk,

Thanks Travis I really appreciate the response. I've been looking at Callies for my stroker kit, The heads I think Im going stock and have ported for time being. I would love to go MMS heads. I'm at motor and tranny on my build now, So I have been checking out Corvette forum,LS1 tech trying to find heads and intake,Misc parts. I'll keep you posted on my success.

orangevert
11-30-2011, 10:01 PM
This article shows how to convert an LS7 to wet sump using the stock LS7 crank: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1003_ls7_wet_sump_conversion/viewall.html

David Thanks for the article.

Kirk

daytonayellaz
11-30-2011, 10:06 PM

My pleasure Kirk:cheers:

When you say stock heads....your referring to stock LS7 heads?

I may be selling my LS7 heads...they only have 4k miles and are perfect! I also have a complete LS7 intake manifold with fuel rails and injectors, bolts and gaskets I might sell also. And that throttle body might also be available..Just throwing that out there.

Also dont forget before this motor is assembled to drill the bossed area where you will need to install your dipstick tube. Its easy to do, but needs to be done before the motor is assembled. The LS7 dipstick was in the dry sump tank and the block was never drilled for it. :thumbsup:

orangevert
12-01-2011, 07:31 AM
My pleasure Kirk:cheers:

When you say stock heads....your referring to stock LS7 heads?

I may be selling my LS7 heads...they only have 4k miles and are perfect! I also have a complete LS7 intake manifold with fuel rails and injectors, bolts and gaskets I might sell also. And that throttle body might also be available..Just throwing that out there.

Also dont forget before this motor is assembled to drill the bossed area where you will need to install your dipstick tube. Its easy to do, but needs to be done before the motor is assembled. The LS7 dipstick was in the dry sump tank and the block was never drilled for it. :thumbsup:

Thanks Travis, PM sent

CornHusker4Life
12-02-2011, 07:56 AM
That will be a nice motor when complete:thumbsup:

Gandalf
12-08-2011, 10:50 PM

I have one of these "Scoggin-Dickey LS7 wet-sump crank spacer"s available if you need one.

G