PDA

View Full Version : Lookie what showed up today!

camcojb
01-31-2005, 12:40 PM
I have invoice #1!!!!!

http://www.camcojb.com/twinturbo/shrifter%20001.jpg

This is the new paddle shifter from Twist Machine (http://www.twistmachine.com/) that allows manual up and downshifts with fingertip control. Works on any 4L60E, 4L80E, and AOD-E computer-controlled trannies. This is going to be a LOT of fun! :D

Thanks Steve!

Jody

kmracer
01-31-2005, 12:49 PM
looks like some kinda wepon... might hurt if you knocked it...
lol looks sweet... i like it... paint it black of silver

Vince@Meanstreets
01-31-2005, 12:59 PM
yeah that shrifter looks cool, very nice work Steve...looks like Batman can climb a building with that one. Let us know how it works Jody.

XcYZ
01-31-2005, 02:14 PM
Cool, what are you going to do for a wheel, Jody?

Keith
01-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Yup...like i said on p-t...it looks like batman's belt buckle!! :D

camcojb
01-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Cool, what are you going to do for a wheel, Jody?

Haven't decided yet, but I think Steve said this Shrifter needs a Momo or Sparco wheel.

Jody

Musclerodz
01-31-2005, 05:21 PM
I think the next car is going to have to have an automatic!

Mike

Steve Chryssos
01-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Haven't decided yet, but I think Steve said this Shrifter needs a Momo or Sparco wheel.

Jody

Jody,
As shown, your paddle shifter is set up to accept a Sparco or Momo steering wheel (or any 6-bolt metric). That's the hot ticket if you are going for that "super-car" (i.e. Ferrari) look. If you later decide to go with the shiny "billet" look, you just remove the four socket head screws that hold on the adapter ring. Underneath that adapter ring is the 9-bolt pattern that is popular with Budnik, LeCarra, Colorado Custom, etc.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

XcYZ
01-31-2005, 06:44 PM
I can't wait to try out Jody's Shrifter! :D :D :D

Ummgawa
01-31-2005, 08:35 PM
I remember something like that hanging on the wall in the doctors office when I had my Vasectomy... :eek:

Steve Chryssos
01-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Waaaaay too much information. :eek:

Stuart Adams
01-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Jody, looks great. What finishes are available?

zbugger
01-31-2005, 09:27 PM
I remember something like that hanging on the wall in the doctors office when I had my Vasectomy... :eek:
Waaaaay too much information. :eek:

I don't think I could find an appropriate smilie for that one. I definitely agree with Steevo, by the way. I'm gonna go sit on a block of ice now.....

Steve Chryssos
02-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Jody, looks great. What finishes are available?

Stuart,
They're available in brushed aluminum or polished. Jody's is polished.

hotwheels
02-01-2005, 09:04 AM
that is sharp looking.............literally.....hehehhe

airrj1
02-01-2005, 11:30 AM
I kinda like the understated look. I think it would be cool in the dark grey Hard Anodized finish. I know, sorta dull, but I like it. :)
http://www.smcgear.net/images/uploads/category3/NFPA.FIGURE8WEARS.JPG

trapin
02-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Steve...your site says that you still need to have a mechanial PRN321 shifter for park, neutral, and reverse. Is there an alternative system out there for the other shift locations? What I mean is....like a push button system that can be hidden away in the dash or floor console. I think it would be cool to not have a visible shifter on the floor but only the paddle shifter on the steering column. Kinda like on the Ferrari F430 seen below. I'm imagining this conversation with some aspiring young hot rodder;

"Dude...where's the shifter at?"

"It's right there on the steering column"

"WHAT THE.....what is that??!!"

"Well now, I'm so glad you asked"

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2006

trapin
02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
That's weird....why does that picture show as a link and not as an image? I have tags around it.

Steve Chryssos
02-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Yes there is (or was) Mooneyes was selling just such a system, but I don't think they sell it anymore according to the guy who was making it for them. I think the company is called Retrotech. I can't find them on the web, though. Another option is a very small mechanical shifter. I believe that Aloha is considering this for the INCINER8OR. I'm assembling their paddle shifter right now.

zbugger
02-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Yeah, that was the one that Boyd Coddington used in the Alumatub, I think. It was a soft key button system that was installed on the floor of that car. That would really make the interior look clean if you could get your hands on one.

trapin
02-10-2005, 10:04 PM
I'll keep an eye on the INCINER8OR project but I gotta tell ya Steve...after walking through the Detroit Auto Show a few weeks ago and seeing all the new sports cars with Paddle Shifters on them...I'm starting to get intrigued. If I can find a way to eliminate the floor shifter, It's a safe bet I'll be a future customer.

02-11-2005, 12:14 AM
http://www.holeshot.com/old/shifters/shifter3.html

if the bike guys can do something like that i dont see why we cant. just would take some imagination thats it

Steve Chryssos
02-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Yeah. They've been available for motorcycles for a long time. Different deal though.
With a sequential trans, all you need is a solenoid and power interrupt--no robotics. And it's a motorcycle, so there's no Reverse or "Park" to worry about.

With an H pattern manual, you need full blown robotics. Clutch in, gear change, blip throttle, clutch out. It takes some heavy computer processing that's matched to the application (engine and vehicle parameters) Ferrari has pulled it off. But that's because they sell complete, turn key cars. It may be a long time before we see a practical adaptation to hot rods because every car is different.

With an Automatic, you only need simple robotics (just a linear actuator motor) to overcome the detent. The processor is simple as well. No big deal. But you are relying on that processor. You may have to worry about the robotics jamming or worse putting your car in reverse or park at the wrong time--say, at 100mph.

So, it is entirely possible to eliminate the mechanical shifter. But I personally want to mechanically isolate Park, Reverse and Neutral from the performance shifting equation in my car--which means keeping the shifter. And from a manufacturer's standpoint, I sure don't want the liability--which means keeping the mechanical shifter. So I recommend maintaning some kind of mechanical shifter.

"But your honor, my product only controls the forward gears... There is no way to engage reverse from the steering wheel."

It's a matter of safety and peace of mind. Mechanically, plunk the sucker into Drive and you can fully concentrate on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear.

The paddle shifter is effortless--no more ratchet action. No thought involved. Gear changes become intuitive, so you'll be paddle shifting like a madman. The last thing you want to worry about is a computer deciding when you should be in Park or Reverse. The Porsche Tiptronic design follows the same common sense approach. Forward gears only.

Maybe that's why Mooneyes dropped the pushbutton deal.

trapin
02-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Yeah....I guess I don't want to go flying through my windshield on the highway or anything (not that that wouldn't be fun, mind you). So I guess I'll keep a watch on INCINER8OR and see this small shifter that they use. Thanks for the input Steve. :thumbsup: