PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some TIG welding done

LowchevyII
11-17-2011, 12:39 AM
So they're not the greatest but ive only been doing this for a couple days with only a couple hours total under my belt. Just thought i'd share my progress

ccm399
11-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Keep practicing Jeff! TIG takes a good amount of time ot get good at and then a REALLY long time to get really good at.

I would suggest trying to clean the metal... Get yourself a flapper disc for your angle grinder and get the metal good and clean then wipe it done with rubbing alcohol or something like that. Be careful with the cleaners though as some put off toxic fumes. Stay away from the Choronated (SP?) cleaners. I use a cheap lacquer thinner and let it completely dry before welding.

Have FUN!

LowchevyII
11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Keep practicing Jeff! TIG takes a good amount of time ot get good at and then a REALLY long time to get really good at.

I would suggest trying to clean the metal... Get yourself a flapper disc for your angle grinder and get the metal good and clean then wipe it done with rubbing alcohol or something like that. Be careful with the cleaners though as some put off toxic fumes. Stay away from the Choronated (SP?) cleaners. I use a cheap lacquer thinner and let it completely dry before welding.

Have FUN!

Thanks for the tips! ill definitely keep that in mind and keep at it!

ccm399
11-27-2011, 10:14 AM
How are things going Jeff?

I have to re-learn a little myself after my eye injury so I know what you are going through again... TIG welding with one eye is lets say... different...

Anyway, just checking in.

Chris

GregWeld
11-27-2011, 12:23 PM
So they're not the greatest but ive only been doing this for a couple days with only a couple hours total under my belt. Just thought i'd share my progress

Looks like you started out (far right) almost right - then slowed up and got it too flat...

When you finish - give it an extra dip so you don't crater. That's REALLY important on aluminum - or you'll finish your weld with a crack.

Pretty darn good for 2 days worth dude!! :cheers:

LowchevyII
11-27-2011, 03:33 PM
How are things going Jeff?

I have to re-learn a little myself after my eye injury so I know what you are going through again... TIG welding with one eye is lets say... different...

Anyway, just checking in.

Chris

Things are going pretty well so far. I havent had a chance to get a whole lot done being that the class i have been welding in is also a CNC class and I have a couple CNC projects due. So after i'm done with those and out on christmas break i'm going to try to go full force on the tig welding at my buddy's parents shop. I'm getting really antsy haha. Hopefully things go well for you and the eye injury. Im sorry to hear about that but I'm sure with time you'll be back to where you were or perhaps even better! Thanks for checking in!

LowchevyII
11-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Looks like you started out (far right) almost right - then slowed up and got it too flat...

When you finish - give it an extra dip so you don't crater. That's REALLY important on aluminum - or you'll finish your weld with a crack.

Pretty darn good for 2 days worth dude!! :cheers:

Thanks Greg! I was wondering what was causing the flatness of the weld, and welp, it looks like you pointed it out for me. Some food for though for me to consider the next time I get on the machine. Also, thanks for the advice on the ending with an extra dip, I was curious on how to get rid of the crater. Thanks for the advice and encouragement on my last few threads about being a rookie welder, I really appreciate it from someone who has been around the block! You the man, Greg

GregWeld
11-27-2011, 06:46 PM
So the beauty of the pedal control - is that it's a gas pedal... you need to learn to use it as such. If you see the puddle flattening out or your speed is just 'slow' then back off... and that will lower the heat. It's really a three handed operation and you really need to be able to see the puddle and react accordingly. Nobody can really "teach" you this - but pointers of what to look for etc can kick your brain into gear! LOL

You can pick up your speed - but it's easier to control the heat. Welding is ALL about controlling the heat! You don't want to floor the pedal and then try to weld fast enough to keep up... So you create the puddle -- generally by "accelerating" into it - then like tailgating - you need to just back off a bit and start your dip and move. Make the puddle -- move back and dip - move the puddle forward - move back and dip...when I say move back - you're getting the tungsten out of the way which should have been over the puddle... so you're just backing out enough to get the rod in without contaminating your tungsten. It's a little hand dance... and when you see you're puddle widening - or building up or whatever - you need to control THAT PART with the pedal. Increasing or decreasing the heat. When you're coming to the end of a part -- you need to start to let up... as there's nowhere for the heat to go and if you don't start kind of "coasting" up to the end - you'll just blow through... if you do it right - you'll coast on up there - do your little double dip (quickly!) it's a dip dip done while letting off the gas. Then hold the torch for cool down and protection of the puddle (post gas).

If you're going to weld something with corners.... tack your edges - working them with a tap of a hammer or moving the clamp or whatever that takes (there's so many "things" that you can't explain 'em all) to take out the warp or "opening up" of the metal gap.... but remember to weld the corners (or ends for that matter) up first before you start to close up.... that way you're not pushing all that heat to the very edge with nowhere to stop. If you weld up the corner first - you have a place to go right up to without blowing the corner or end away.

:cheers:

LowchevyII
11-30-2011, 03:44 AM
wow, Greg. Thank you for that wealth of knowledge! I'll be sure to start applying some of it soon...or at least trying. Move down to southern california so I can take advantage of all your tools and all that info tucked away in that head of yours:lol:

GregWeld
11-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Jeff -

I am a total beginner.... There's guys on here that can REALLY weld.

I just type fast enough that I can try to explain it. :thumbsup:

Just keep practicing. It's like anything we do... it all seems easy and mostly it is... but it takes time to learn and repetition and practice go a long way.

You will learn that there is a LOT more to "welding" than just sticking two pieces of metal together. Wait til you are making something where one part is thick and the other is real thin... and goes around corners and upside-down. :willy: :unibrow: That's when I call a REAL welder. :woot: