PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid disappearing

Sieg
11-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Off the PT topic but relates to ABS brake systems........

'05 Toyota Tundra pickup. Brakes have been trouble free since new. Still running stock rear drum shoes, replace front pads 6 months ago. Twice in the last two months the brake warning light has come on. Checked fluid in the reservoir the first time and it was close to minimum, visually checked the lines for leaks and refilled with 5.1 fluid.

A month later it comes on again, pull the rear drums and inspect wheel cylinders...dry, adjusted the shoes as I'd noticed the parking brake tension was questionable, check lines and junctions, no leaks.

Yesterday the light comes on again and the reservoir level is close to minimum. I go under the truck with a flashlight and check every brake/abs line, reservoir, rotor/drums for any sign of fluid both visual and with my hand. Couldn't find a trace of brake fluid on the vehicle, nor has there been any on my clean concrete driveway.

Vehicle has not had the sytem flushed so it is OEM fluid from Dec '94 build date. Filling with 5.1 which is supposedly compatible.

I'm close to stumped, it's like it is evaporating.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Vegas69
11-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Leaking out the back of the master cylinder into the booster.:unibrow:

Sieg
11-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Leaking out the back of the master cylinder into the booster.:unibrow:

I don't exactly like what you're saying but that's my primary conclusion at this point. Is that a common occurrence? :D

Vegas69
11-14-2011, 11:22 PM
I have no idear but it's easy to check. Unbolt the master and you should be able to pull it out a little and take a peak. I'd also pull the vaccum hose and take a look.

Sieg
11-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the input, I respect your knowledge and insight. :thumbsup:

elitecustombody
11-15-2011, 12:07 AM
I agree with Todd, it's a good possibility that's where the fluid is disappearing.

Sieg
11-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I agree with Todd, it's a good possibility that's where the fluid is disappearing.

Thanks for the second opinion.

Upside is it "appears" it might not be too tough to access:

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Photography/Just-Because/i-T5GQxDC/0/XL/Tundra-master-cylinder-XL.jpg

ErikLS2
11-15-2011, 02:47 PM
It's fairly common among various Toyota models. You'll need a master cylinder and booster, as has already been suggested.

I would highly suggest using Toyota brand fluid. They recalled a bunch of newer Toyota's and Lexus' to replace a brake master cylinder seal that was not compatible with the additives in some aftermarket brake fluids.

I'm very familiar with those, if you need any help PM me. Good luck!

SLO_Z28
11-15-2011, 10:26 PM
That failure is more common than you would think in many different makes and models. From that picture it looks like you could unbolt it and tweak it just far enough to see behind it and see if its wet.

Sieg
11-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Un-bolted and inspected.........wet push-rod :mad:

The master and booster is sold as a unit, the OEM unit only lists for $2200, negotiated $1770. :rofl:

Vegas69
11-20-2011, 05:43 PM
I'd see if you can obtain a rebuild kit for the master cylinder. Of course, I like to fix things. :unibrow:

Sieg
11-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Somewhat worried about the amount of brake fluid sitting in the booster and how long it's been there. Toyota doesn't sell individual components for my model year, not sure on aftermarket ones yet.........but I will be. :unibrow:

Track Junky
11-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Well, my mentality is $1700 saved on a must do fix is $1700 towards the Camaro :unibrow: