PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a TIG Welder

LowchevyII
11-13-2011, 05:31 PM
So ive been learning how to tig weld in school which has been making me try to figure out how to obtain a Tig Welder for home use and use on my car. The main purposes for it for me will be for the car, i.e sheet metal, roll cage fab, etc. What are some things I should be looking for when considering a tig welder. I know I want one that can run AC for when I start to learn how to weld aluminum. I want something that I wont kick myself for buying once I realize I should have spent a bit more because what I bought can't handle what I need it to do. Any input would be great. I would love to keep the cost as low as possible obviously but cheap and welder are two terms that just dont go together. Any input would be great. Ive been checking out the Dynasty 200 dx and the syncrowave 250 dx from miller.

I would love to hear your input. As it stands now, both of the welders I've been looking at seem to be priced out of my league so if there are any suggestions for a broke college student I would love to hear them!

GregWeld
11-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Jeff --

I own the Miller Dynasty 200 DX --- and it's just right for our hobby....

Shop around and find a lightly used version...

It's the aluminum welding that is the drawback --- it takes some serious amps to do 1/4" ! So be careful what you buy and don't get undersized.

LowchevyII
11-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the advice greg! I was hoping you would chime in here. I'm really leaning toward the 200 dx though it's definitely going to take some time to save up and find a good deal. But i'm with you when you say don't buy too small. That's what i'm trying to avoid. Being a novice, i'm trying to take advantage of the knowledge here, especially those people who have been doing this longer than my 23 years of existence.

GregWeld
11-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Welcome Jeff.....

There just is no way of fixing the cost issues.... unless you are a good shopper and find a business liquidation or something along those lines.

It is a tool that you'll buy and own for 20 years.... :thumbsup:

LowchevyII
11-13-2011, 11:10 PM
exactly what i was thinking. I want to try and find a liquidation or some sort of auction. However, I was just informed that a really good friend of mine whose parents own a custom gate shop are going to allow me to use their Miller Syncrowave 250. I'm pretty stoked about that. I was also surprised to hear from them that no one in the shop knew how to use it being they do primarily mig welding and forging. So hopefully I can try to pick it up from them, but at the very least I have access to it whenever I want.

GregWeld
11-13-2011, 11:16 PM
HAHAHAHAHA --- Doesn't get any better than that!!!

Way to score!

LowchevyII
11-14-2011, 12:53 AM
I know right? imagine how far my jaw dropped when his dad said "oh yeah we have a tig welder but no one knows how to use it" and me seeing the syncrowave just sittin in there pretty much untouched. Can't wait to get some hours logged on the baby! Thanks again for the input and advice, Greg. You the man!

Ketzer
11-14-2011, 09:19 AM
I have the 250dx. I did exactly what you are, shopped, waited, and stashed my lunch money for a good deal. Bought mine off ebay from an out of business ice machine company. Watched it for a month before they finally dropped the price. It's very low hours, tons of extras, and I paid half the price of a new one. It is big, heavy and old school but definately not underpowered.
I can flip the switch and make sparks but no dime stacking yet...

Jeff-

coolwelder62
11-14-2011, 09:56 PM
You can always start w/something smaller for now until you really master the task of tig welding.Keep the machine waxed & super clean.And when you are ready upgrade,some in the same pos. you are in now will be willing to step up buy your machine to save a little dough and maybe the sale's tax.Call the local welding supply store has any demo's you might score a few bucks off retail.the Lincoln sq,wave 225 is a great machineat a resable price.I have a sq.wave 275 awesome,Also have a miller 200DX I use it for roll cages and super thin sheet metal.:thumbsup:

LowchevyII
11-14-2011, 11:13 PM
I have the 250dx. I did exactly what you are, shopped, waited, and stashed my lunch money for a good deal. Bought mine off ebay from an out of business ice machine company. Watched it for a month before they finally dropped the price. It's very low hours, tons of extras, and I paid half the price of a new one. It is big, heavy and old school but definately not underpowered.
I can flip the switch and make sparks but no dime stacking yet...

Jeff-

Well good to see the deals are out there. I'm just so anxious hahaha. But no rush here, i'm not stacking dimes yet either lol.

You can always start w/something smaller for now until you really master the task of tig welding.Keep the machine waxed & super clean.And when you are ready upgrade,some in the same pos. you are in now will be willing to step up buy your machine to save a little dough and maybe the sale's tax.Call the local welding supply store has any demo's you might score a few bucks off retail.the Lincoln sq,wave 225 is a great machineat a resable price.I have a sq.wave 275 awesome,Also have a miller 200DX I use it for roll cages and super thin sheet metal.:thumbsup:

Some definite good ideas here. I cant wait till i can snag myself a 200dx and am good enough to build a roll cages and stuff. I'll cruise over to Grainger and check some stuff out. See what sort of deals my brother can get being that his company is a supplier for them so they get stuff at cost just so I can see what im in for money-wise.

ccm399
11-15-2011, 06:59 PM
I think Greg is right in the long run.... however as a Diversion 165 owner I can tell you that there is something to be said about buying small and stepping up later. If you go this route though be sure to buy good equipment as the resale value will likely be better when you are ready to step up.

So having typed that... I must admit there are times that I wish I would have waited and saved for the Dynasty. I have not yet really needed more machine but I KNOW I will need more machine some day. I did get a really good deal on the Diversion though so I couldn't pass it up.

Don't count the smaller machines though. I have done some pretty large repairs with my little Diversion. Well, larger for a 165 amp machine the Miller Sync 250 I used to run would have not even broken a sweat on any of the jobs I have done at home.

I do like the arc the inverter machine puts out though and I can only imagine how well the Dynasty works! :hail:

Chris

cheby2
12-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Some excellent advice and points made here !