PDA

View Full Version : II Much Fabrication FabBosses

parsonsj
11-12-2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.iimuchfabrication.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/iimuch-fab-boss-25_20s.jpg

FabBosses are ideal for mounting electronic boxes, interior panels, fluid reservoirs, cable and plumbing runs, linkage bases, ground points, etc. They are mild steel, with a wall thickness of .060, so MIG welding to sheet metal is a quick operation. They can also be easily trimmed for welding to irregular surfaces, or notched for mounting to tube.

Using FabBosses minimizes the aesthetic problem of protruding bolts or sheet metal screws, and eliminates that old problem of stripped sheet metal screw holes. It also speeds up the fabrication process in another way: bolt the device to a FabBoss, position it in place, and tack weld. Getting your MIG torch into tight places is always easier than a drill.

One other feature is that the face has a rolled radius so they can be left visible in interior panels.

Watch our blog (see signature)… I’ll be using them all over the place as our Project Unfair goes into high gear.

We’ve got them in stock at $7.50 apiece. For the time being, email me at [email protected]. A new web store is coming soon.

Here's some pre-production FabBosses in action:

http://www.iimuchfabrication.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/GHTP-111100-SNOW-09.jpg

parsonsj
11-12-2011, 02:36 PM
They are 0.75" in diameter, 1.25" long, with 1/4-20 threads.

70rs
11-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Very cool idea. I need a few of those soon. I'll be in touch!

Edit: I have been reading your blogs, great info in those. Thanks for taking the time to post there. I know it's going to help me a lot on my own projects.

parsonsj
11-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Edit: I have been reading your blogs, great info in those. Thanks for taking the time to post there. I know it's going to help me a lot on my own projects.You're welcome, and I appreciate that feedback very much! Sometimes I think only my wife reads it. :)

Boss 5.0
11-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Those are really nice. I will be getting some soon for sure. That is exactly what I was looking for to use in a couple different areas of my build.

preston
11-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Great product ! Wish I'd had those available a few years ago.

GregWeld
11-23-2011, 06:52 PM
What's the difference between this and the "nutserts" I've been using for years to do blind fastenings?

parsonsj
11-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Greg,

It's a different method that achieves the same thing. The FabBoss has several advantages:
1. You can bolt the device to a FabBoss (or a set of them) then tack weld directly into place. No precision drilling required.
2. A welded FabBoss will never fail in service. Be honest, you think about the nut insert spinning every time you tighten the fastener, am I right? :)
3. The FabBoss can be quickly trimmed to fit irregular surfaces. Good luck doing that with a nut insert.
4. You can weld FabBosses to tubes. Drilling holes in tubes for nut inserts always leaves chips inside the tube to rattle around, and usually requires a tack weld so it doesn't spin.
5. You can get your MIG torch into lots of tight spots that you can't get your drill into. Let alone the nut insert tool.
6. With a FabBoss, the bolt and insert doesn't protrude into the space on the other side of the sheet metal.

Nut inserts have their place, no doubt. But FabBosses have lots of advantages. I think quality car builders ought to have a supply of both on hand.

And to be fair, I owe you guys some photos and videos about how and why a FabBoss is useful. Bear with us... it's coming.

GregWeld
11-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Now those are good sales pitches! And needed to be posted!

EEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA

dead sailor
11-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Very cool idea!

Is that the firewall of a third gen camaro/firebird???

parsonsj
11-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Yes, that's the firewall from an 89 Firebird Formula.

parsonsj
12-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Hey guys, as promised, I've just posted a quick tip on trimming Fab Bosses to fit. Click on my blog link in my signature to see it.

parsonsj
12-10-2011, 03:29 PM
A close-up of the inside of a FabBoss, ready for welding.

http://blog.iimuchfabrication.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Fab-Boss-004-1.jpg

parsonsj
12-22-2011, 06:58 PM
We've got a new version of our FabBoss in stock now. It has 10-24 threads and is deeply beveled -- making it an ideal method for securing P-clamps. :cheers:

http://blog.iimuchfabrication.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Fab-Boss-10-24-004-1024x683.jpg