PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mini tubbed a convertible?

Fluid Power
02-09-2006, 02:30 PM
I have mini-tubbed mine, and am in the process of final -assembly before paint, It appears the convertible top frame hits the top of the tub and is not allowing the top to go completly into the convertible well. DSE said that the mini-tub should not effect the top MUCH....much being the key word. Anyone with experience in this issue please feel free to comment. I may need to massage the panel a little to get the top into place, I was hoping to not have to cut and weld in a relief....HELP!

Darren

ProdigyCustoms
02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Did they tell you if you dont backbrace it it is going to twist in two? I have something coming to market soon that will allow your top to close more, You can go on and finsh your work, I should have the parts out in a few weeks. And you better look at back bracing. Been there, done that, got a Tee Shirt!

Ummgawa
02-09-2006, 03:35 PM
One of the reasons I am constructing a speedster.

ProdigyCustoms
02-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Hows your car coming Jim? Did you mini tub?

Fluid Power
02-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Not sure what you are referring to....I built a full frame for the car, kind of my version of a Wayne Due/21st century knock off that runs the whole length of the car and ties it together much like a car with sub-frame connectors. The car was braced like mad before anything was removed and was inplace thru the whole process, the door gaps and body lines are very tight and will get better when the bodyman works his magic. I am very interested in your product. The car will be in the body shop end of this month. If it will help with out cutting a relief in the tubs, I will wait until you release it. I can't wait to see. In the meantime, I will fiddle with some adjustments of the top mechanism (it is a manual top car) and see if that helps.

Jim, I goofed around with some card board templates before installing the top. I sat down and sketched up some ideas about a permanent hinged boot, but figured I so much work to keep my spot at the body shop that I had to pass. A speedster will be sweet!

Darren

ProdigyCustoms
02-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Hey Darren, I didn't know it was a full frame car. Prodigy's top follds all the way down, Pete's also folds all the way down. We simply remake some of the bolt in top braces. It works pretty slick

Fluid Power
02-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Frank,

Are you going to share the secret????

Darren

ProdigyCustoms
02-09-2006, 07:47 PM
I am making the parts. they wll be done soon, and not to expensive at all

Fluid Power
02-09-2006, 07:53 PM
I am in. post here or PM for my CC info!

Thanks ! I will post pics before the car goes to paint and after.

Al Moreno
02-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi Darren,

Sound like a killer project, I looking to do a full chassis 1st gen conv also. Any pics you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Al

kennyd
02-10-2006, 08:01 AM
i am doing a 66 chevelle droptop , the rear tubs are different on a conv vs a hard top . to make the car sit right we have to use a short tire or make the top sit a little higher than stock . what size wheel and tire are you putting under it ?

Ummgawa
02-10-2006, 08:39 AM

See below. I'm lacking in good sense. It's an inherited thing...got it from my teenagers.

Stuart Adams
02-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Hey big boy, that car will be cool. Post some pics.

61Bubbletop
02-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I want to see it too Jimbo!!! :thumbsup: :yes:

Ummgawa
02-10-2006, 02:18 PM

Yes I did the full DSE tubs. I am installing a 4 link and I am worried about exaust clearance, yet one more thing to work out. The DSE minitub kit means I can run the exaust out the back and I have not fully finished that debate, Full DSE vs. 4 Link. Payton was through town on his way to Mississippi and we got to discuss the exaust issue over lunch (What a super guy by the way). He has had his fabricated to exit before the rear wheel and I hope to have him share some pix with me. Has anyone else dealt with this issue IE 4-link or C5 rear and exaust troubles?

Ummgawa
02-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Hey big boy, that car will be cool. Post some pics.

Hey Stuart did you get my PM?

Stuart Adams
02-10-2006, 02:29 PM
No. Retry.

Ummgawa
02-10-2006, 03:20 PM
PM sent Homey.

Leadfoot1
12-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey!

we're still waiting for pics guy's! ;)

Lead :_paranoid

BThibodeaux
12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Did they tell you if you dont backbrace it it is going to twist in two? I have something coming to market soon that will allow your top to close more, You can go on and finsh your work, I should have the parts out in a few weeks. And you better look at back bracing. Been there, done that, got a Tee Shirt!

Frank,
I am also doing a 69 convertible with the DSE minitubs. Please let me know when yuo have the parts available. I will PM you. Thanks.
Please clarify what you mean by "back bracing".

Leadfoot1
12-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Brian,

If i'm not mistaking, Frank already sold is first batch (?) awhile back.

I'm also interested in the bracing part question as you can read below.
v

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?p=71800#post71800

Frank, i would get a set of your brackets too when the wheels ship if its available.

Lead.

BThibodeaux
12-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Brian,

If i'm not mistaking, Frank already sold is first batch (?) awhile back.

I'm also interested in the bracing part question as you can read below.
v

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?p=71800#post71800

Frank, i would get a set of your brackets too when the wheels ship if its available.

Lead.

Thanks. Frank mentioned adding bracing from a roll cage back into the trunk in a PM response. No way I'm putting a roll cage in my vert. I do have similar reinforcements to what you describe in your other thread. I have the Airbar bracket welded in to the rear frame rails, and weld in Global West subframe connectors.

Hopefully Frank will see this and provide more details.

Fluid Power
12-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Car is out of paint, trying to find time to get pics. I bought the top parts from Frank and got the them on the top and powder coated. I have not installed the top yet.

Darren

Leadfoot1
12-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Gotta check it out.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectpages/chrisstavola/cstavola_sub_2.htm

3rd and 4th row of pics, check out the cage work...Anytime in mine!

This is simply "Sculptural"!

I'm going to try my hand at bending tubes during winter.

Picking up my car tomorrow morning :D

Cha!ching!.... :(

Lead.

Leadfoot1
07-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Fluid, B, Any progress on your cars?

Lead.