PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone added child seat hooks?

John510
10-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I want to add some child seat anchor hooks like you find in the newer cars. Has anyone done this on a first gen camaro and if so where did you get the hooks? Ive seen the top hooks on Ebay but cannot find the bottom ones. Maybe I can make something from parts I find at the hardware store?

Thanks guys

RECOVERY ROOM
10-17-2011, 09:26 PM
We had a car in the shop once thad had them in it, The owner told me they made it out of round stock, I just made the back seat to fit. I'll try and find pics if I can.

JMitch19
10-17-2011, 11:19 PM
My buddy did round bar in his 66 Nova for the bottom 2 hooks. I'm not sure what he did for the top hook. I'm thinking about doing the same for my 68 Camaro. Another option would be the new Morris rear three point seat belts.

LS1-IROC
10-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Good question..I need to figure this out as well.

sevillaz28
03-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Im making a set for my girlfriends 66 Mustang so I can put the seat in the rear middle. When the Camaro's come back from paint Im going to do the same thing to them. I will also be doing a stress pull on the mustang to give me a piece of mind.

Gotta protect our babies as best as we can.

ErikLS2
03-14-2013, 12:16 AM
If you look at the ones in a new car they are not exactly substantial in girth. Some are probably 1/8" solid round stock. The key is how they are attached. On the bottom ones I would try to tie them into the existing seat belt bolt holes. The package tray was never designed to take that kind of load (in an actual accident) so I would get a lot more creative there.

Good idea for a thread, I've been thinking about this too. I just might not have mine done before car seats are no longer required anyway.:bang:

The WidowMaker
03-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Good idea for a thread, I've been thinking about this too. I just might not have mine done before car seats are no longer required anyway

ha. my oldest two are now in boosters that dont use these. my youngest will be the same way by the time the friggin cars done. this was something i stressed about 5 years ago when i thought the car would be on the road 4 years ago.........

Chevy Kid
03-16-2013, 10:35 AM
ha. my oldest two are now in boosters that dont use these. my youngest will be the same way by the time the friggin cars done. this was something i stressed about 5 years ago when i thought the car would be on the road 4 years ago.........

Man! I hear ya on that one. These projects never go as fast as planned.

My son is 6 now. In my Nova I had custom belts made I sourced from seatbeltplanet.com. They are 3 point belts. The upper belt goes through the package tray and anchors to the fender well in the trunk. The retractable mechanism is part of this anchor. It works well and I'm confident of it's integrity in an accident. He's in a booster, btw.

Tim

Vince@Meanstreets
03-17-2013, 01:22 AM
you can weld in a single bar 1"+ the add 5/16" round stock to the appropriate spots. Tying into the existing seat belt plates is a great idea.

here is a bar I put in for fold down seat backs.

woody80z28
03-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Is that the bar for a Cobalt rear seat? Looks just like it. I put a set of Cobalt SS leather seats in my Beretta and wondered what the rings were for, because they are still visible when everything is installed.

http://www.motortopia.com/files/141/album_finishingtouches/5118490f59ee9/IMG_8069.jpg
http://www.motortopia.com/files/141/album_finishingtouches/512048cd2d9ee/IMG_8140.jpg

Vince@Meanstreets
03-18-2013, 01:02 AM
yep, into a 68 camaro. they fit great.

woody80z28
03-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Great seats for the money. Fit the Beretta really well too. If you stumble across any front seats with the "SS" stitching I'd trade my blank fronts.
http://www.motortopia.com/files/141/album_finishingtouches/512048c566029/IMG_8135.jpg

Vince@Meanstreets
03-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Great seats for the money. Fit the Beretta really well too. If you stumble across any front seats with the "SS" stitching I'd trade my blank fronts.
http://www.motortopia.com/files/141/album_finishingtouches/512048c566029/IMG_8135.jpg

yes they are. We picked up an SS front and rear set for $300.

You can still buy the seat covers from GM. Looks like your gonna need them soon. :D

woody80z28
03-20-2013, 09:44 AM
yes they are. We picked up an SS front and rear set for $300.

You can still buy the seat covers from GM. Looks like your gonna need them soon. :D

That's about what I paid for mine. The salvage yard told me they were SS seats but they don't have the stitching. I'll look in to buying the upholstery. The rear is pretty much mint, but the fronts could use a recover. Got a PN? I'll google and see what I can find.