PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro Pro Touring Brake Size???

Pasquale
10-02-2011, 04:02 AM
hey guys, I am working on a 1000hp 69 Camaro I will be mainly driving on the street and was wondering what would be the best brake set up to go with. I have no idea how well Wilwood brakes work and wanted to know if 12" rotors were good or do I need to go bigger? I was thinking about buying a kit that has 13" rear and 12" front with 4 piston calipers. Or should I go all out and get the 14" front and rear with 6 piston calipers?

hifi875
10-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Why would u not go with 14 all the way around? You have 1000hp. If you r goin over the top w your engine then why not with the brakes. Not to mention it can't hurt anything. The level of performance needs to match.

Spiffav8
10-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Why would u not go with 14 all the way around? You have 1000hp. If you r goin over the top w your engine then why not with the brakes. Not to mention it can't hurt anything. The level of performance needs to match.

I agree 100%. Easy to get moving with 1000hp, might want some serious stopping power to help tame that sucker when needed.

Todd (Vegas69) has a decent setup. Willwoods I think. I was impressed how well his breaks helped reel in all 666 horses pulling PayBack along.

:captain:

Pasquale
10-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I agree 100%. Easy to get moving with 1000hp, might want some serious stopping power to help tame that sucker when needed.

Todd (Vegas69) has a decent setup. Willwoods I think. I was impressed how well his breaks helped reel in all 666 horses pulling PayBack along.

:captain:

Thanks guys. I will go with the big brakes, I just wanted to get some opinions. I just have one more questions. Is there a big difference from 4 piston to 6 piston?

thanks

ccracin
10-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys. I will go with the big brakes, I just wanted to get some opinions. I just have one more questions. Is there a big difference from 4 piston to 6 piston?

thanks

Just 2 pistons! :rofl: Sorry, I had to!

Flash68
10-02-2011, 05:41 PM

thanks

Just 2 pistons! :rofl: Sorry, I had to!

and the price! :lol:

Vegas69
10-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Go with the biggest front brake you can fit. Rear isn't near as important.

Matt@BOS
10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Go with the biggest front brake you can fit. Rear isn't near as important.

Todd, do you ever wish you had bigger brakes? I don't recall whether or not you lock up the fronts easily.

I was also going to say that your tire choice is going to dictate how well a car is going to brake.

Matt

Vegas69
10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
My car originally had 14" rotors but Forgeline shaved the pad and instead of rehooping my wheels, I opted for a 13" rotor. The larger rotor is an advantage. It's hard to compare as I went from a 255mm 200 treadwear to a 275mm 100 treadwear at that time.

I rode in Casanovas car and he has small rotors and his car stops REALLY well. :thumbsup: Pad compound and pedal effort are also big factors. My car has a 1" master and manual brakes. At the end of the day at Buttonwillow, I had finally started treating my brakes like I was stomping on a bug. You have to be very agressive and it's hard to get used to after any daily driver. My car would benefit from going back to the 7/8 master or power brakes. Especially in autocross. The 1" was a bandaid for our best buddy, brake pad knockback.

Matt@BOS
10-02-2011, 11:15 PM
That makes a lot of sense Todd. I've thought about going power brakes on a future project. I like my two individual 7/8" masters for hauling the car down from speed, but on the autocross it feels like an on-off switch. Trail braking feels a bit like guess work. On the street, I also miss that comforting initial bite that power brakes offer. I've had moments where people cut in front of other cars, stopping traffic, and creating an "oh sh-- moment." I stopped just fine because I'm used to really slamming on the brake pedal, but it is a weird feeling that takes getting used to.

Pasquale, I don't know what the Wilwood equivalent would be, but I think a DSE booster with C6 PBR big 2 piston brakes, and the right pads would work just fine for stopping the car. There are certainly better brakes out there, but I don't know how much any of them would improve single instance stopping distances, especially with street tires.

Matt

TheCntrion
10-17-2011, 10:56 AM
read this article.
http://www.deanoshiro.com/brakes/brakearticle.html

Its been posted here before Im sure. If youre asking these kind of questions and working on a 1000hp car I really hope you read as much as you can before you proceed as you are working on the most important safety feature on the car. And most important, get professional help. Not as far as installation, im sure youre fine with that, I mean more with design.

If you've got 1000hp, I'm sure you're not going to be working with vacuum assist power brakes, so that leaves you with Hydra-boost or manual. I recommend manual.

Check out the CL ad for dual tandem brake master setup with a balance bar thats a bolt on mod. There is a local guy that makes them. If youre interested Ill dig up his number.

Also, Drilled rotors are only good for one thing. Cracking into pieces to be scattered onto the pavement as you hit the nearest tree.