PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade

chevguy
10-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Hey all, I bought a front disc brake conversion for my 69 camaro, "right stuff" is the brand. What I am chasing is an upgrade for the brakes and was wondering if anyone knows if any other calipers/discs will bolt straight up e.g z06 vette brakes. I know I can get a 2 spot 13" upgrade from the same company but would prefer a 4 spot. I am running 17x7 boyds on the front. I figure if your going to upgrade just do it once:D thanks all. Ken.

chevguy
10-28-2011, 07:02 AM
I ended up just going to the twin piston floating caliper kit from kore 3(Tobin) and bought a hydraboost from Jim at hydratech. Both companies/guys were an absolute pleasure to deal with and would thoroughly recommend them. If their products work 1/2 as good as their service after I fit them I'll be a happy man. Cheers guys.

TheCntrion
10-29-2011, 05:58 PM
post up and let us know how the hydraboost feels while drivin.... some come out really touchy...

Apogee
10-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Ken, thanks for the kind words and the order. You can hope they work half as well and I'll hope for twice...maybe we'll end up in the middle.

I just checked your order status and it looks like you are going to have a present waiting for you at your hotel tomorrow in Vegas, so don't forget to do your stretches so you don't pull a muscle lugging that stuff around. Also, if you sneak this brake kit onto your flight back to Australia as carry-on, I want pictures for proof.

Cheers,
Tobin
KORE3

*rayman*
10-30-2011, 05:38 AM
I just checked your order status and it looks like you are going to have a present waiting for you at your hotel tomorrow in Vegas, so don't forget to do your stretches so you don't pull a muscle lugging that stuff around. Also, if you sneak this brake kit onto your flight back to Australia as carry-on, I want pictures for proof.

it can be done, just gotta make it look like you're not struggling to carry it...

I brought back a 13" kit in my carry on last year....

chevguy
10-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Pffft, last year after sema I bought home the following in my luggage. Msd6al, distributor,leads,blaster coil,victor jnr manifold,comp cams cam and stud girdle, afr 345 heads,push rods ands odds and ends:D This year should be a cake walk.

TheJDMan
10-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Pffft, last year after sema I bought home the following in my luggage. Msd6al, distributor,leads,blaster coil,victor jnr manifold,comp cams cam and stud girdle, afr 345 heads,push rods ands odds and ends:D This year should be a cake walk.

That's funny! No problem with customs?

chevguy
10-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Nope I declared the 'right amount' paid a small fee and walked on by.

chevguy
01-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Just thought I'd update the outcome of fitting the kore3 brake kit and the hydroboost. The braking is nothing short of brilliant now. I do understand how some might find it touchy as you can use a big toe on the pedal and pull the car up instantly,but it's one of those things you will get used to quickly. My old system was as firm as pudding so this is great. Two great products.

Apogee
01-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Just thought I'd update the outcome of fitting the kore3 brake kit and the hydroboost. The braking is nothing short of brilliant now. I do understand how some might find it touchy as you can use a big toe on the pedal and pull the car up instantly,but it's one of those things you will get used to quickly. My old system was as firm as pudding so this is great. Two great products.

Saweeet! I'm glad you got everything sorted out as I'm sure it's always a bit sketchy hand carrying parts half way around the world hoping you have all of the correct parts. If you have any pics, we'd love to see how it all turned out.

Cheers,
Tobin
KORE3

chevguy
01-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Will post some pics shortly, do most of you guys running a hydroboost run a power steering cooler. Just wondering as the pump etc feel pretty warm now.

Apogee
01-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Will post some pics shortly, do most of you guys running a hydroboost run a power steering cooler. Just wondering as the pump etc feel pretty warm now.

To answer your question, most don't, but it is a good idea IMO. Just like any other lubricant, the closer you can keep it to it's ideal operating temperature range the better for not only the fluid, but the components that are relying on it. Hydroboost doesn't add that much load to the power steering pump and system relatively speaking, but every little bit helps.

Hydratech®
01-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Hi Ken :cheers: I'm tickled to hear that all has indeed turned out excellent for you. Thanks much for the follow up post, as most don't take the time. Got pics by any chance? As much as we all like to talk about it, you know how we all love pics! :unibrow:

If you are happy now, just wait until you get a few hundred kilometers on your installation. The brake response will firm up considerably as the pads bed into the rotors, and the brake assist unit loosens up / settles in. This will require a firmer overall pedal effort overall, though welcomed as the braking will modulate very nicely. Do please make sure not to overheat the brakes at the wheels between now and then (of course, right?) :willy:

Power steering systems will run at general engine compartment temps, so 160-180 degrees Fahrenheit are typical. Initial PS temps may also be elevated until initial aeration of the PS fluid clears out. If you have continued elevated PS system temps after a few drive cycles, or the system gets crabby after a hard pounding session, then the following discussion will help:

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?75341-hydro-boost-on-track

I took it for a drive yesterday. The braking is absolutely brilliant now. It seriously is better than my brand new ute. Thanks for a great product,Ken.

Between Kore3 handling the brakes at the wheels, and Hydratech putting the squeeze to the package, it certainly better be better than the brakes on a stock ute! :D

:lateral: