PDA

View Full Version : Small Thin Subwoofer

ProTouring442
02-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I am looking for a small thin subwoofer. I might mount this in the console, kick panels, or doors, so the smaller and thinner, the better. I know nothing beats those big subs in the trunk, but I have a convertible, and you loose a lot of bas when there is no cabin! I'm not a base head, just looking for nice tight base to go with the gool old rock and roll I like to turn up while cruising. Any thought on how best to acomplish this are apreciated.

Thanks Guys!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

black2002ls
02-19-2006, 10:25 AM
it is really going to depend on your budget. Something to mount in a console door or kickpanel. You really dont have much room for what most people think to be a conventional subwoofer. Even 8" woofers are too big for those applications. I would recommend JL Audio if you want a good sounding sub. their base isn't overhwelming its nice and tight. If you just want to upgrade component speakers, I would recommend spending some money and getting FOCAL's they are great component speakers. If you are conerned about SQL not SPL Invest in an amp that has adjustability.

XTRMEASURES
02-19-2006, 01:28 PM
it is really going to depend on your budget. Something to mount in a console door or kickpanel. You really dont have much room for what most people think to be a conventional subwoofer. Even 8" woofers are too big for those applications. I would recommend JL Audio if you want a good sounding sub. their base isn't overhwelming its nice and tight. If you just want to upgrade component speakers, I would recommend spending some money and getting FOCAL's they are great component speakers. If you are conerned about SQL not SPL Invest in an amp that has adjustability.
all that is true

plus if you sound deaden the hell out of the car and get a good set of component speakers they can sound like 2-10s.

DAWG
02-19-2006, 01:37 PM
you might concider these:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3QNHRxTxH5x/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51000&id=essential_info&i=113KSCSW1
I got 2 under my rear seats and it sounds excellent!
not a ghetto blaster but damn close

Tim Baillie
02-19-2006, 03:27 PM
We do alot in hot rods and custom cars..................we use Morel for small location subwoofers.....................the Elate 10" is only 2.9" deep and the 8" is only 2.1" deep.

Both work in small boxes and handle lots of power if needed.

We also do use the JL 6 and 8" woofer alot but they are both very very deep and hard to fit where depth is a issue.

For console mounted options we use the Morel 8" the most..........

ProTouring442
02-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Very interesting... After searching the web a bit, I also ran into Earthquake. They have an 8inch that is very shallow as well. I could put an on the door I think, but it would take some work.

I see Morel has a 6inch sub, but I wonder how it sounds. I am a big rock fan,so I like nice tight base. I am a big fan of sealed boxes because they tend to have that nice tight sound.

I was planning on using MTX amps and seperates with an Alpine head and an Ipod instaed of a CD changer.

Thanks!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

Tim Baillie
02-19-2006, 10:16 PM
How bad do you want to keep your glovebox ?

We did a sealed fiberglass box with the sub firing down under the dash in a Olds with the Morel 8", gave it lots of airspace there and it rocked....

ProTouring442
02-20-2006, 06:28 AM
How bad do you want to keep your glovebox ?

We did a sealed fiberglass box with the sub firing down under the dash in a Olds with the Morel 8", gave it lots of airspace there and it rocked....

Hmmm.... Though I would be afraid of that much vibration on the dash. Olds didn't do a great job on the way the dash insert mounts to the dash itself. Still, I have looked at that area a few times. I'll have to see how much room is left after I run the A/C ducts.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"