PDA

View Full Version : plasma cutter

porta mill
09-17-2011, 10:10 PM
I would like to get a plasma cutter for some small projects . At this moment $1,500 for a lincon or miller is out of the question . has anyone had any luck with one of the the cheeper brands out there ? I would like to be able to cut 1/2 steel.

XLexusTech
09-18-2011, 08:26 AM
I would like to get a plasma cutter for some small projects . At this moment $1,500 for a lincon or miller is out of the question . has anyone had any luck with one of the the cheeper brands out there ? I would like to be able to cut 1/2 steel.

Love my Airforce 250 Hobart.. paid 700 at tractor supply i believe.

will cut 1/4 inch.. 1/2 inch is a tall order for a low budget Plasma

frankenstang
09-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Steele products has one at amazon.com for under $900. I got mine at a crackhead price of $100!! Missing the ground lead, but still new. It works really well.

suark
09-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I bought a Hypertherm Powermax 30 after my boss bought us one at work. It'll cut 1/2" if you go slow, it's small, very portable, cuts a very fine line so it's great for sheet metal and it runs on 110 or 220. I got the deluxe model that comes with case, shoulder strap, circle cutter and some extra consumables. If you search around on the web you can find a new one for about $1000.

SuperB70
09-27-2011, 02:41 AM
I have had Hypertherm 30 for three years and very pleased.

Work very well, nozzles last long. One tip: Just add inline filter on air connection so you dont need to open case and clean it own airfilter.

My couple friends has a cheap chinese plasma and tig/plasma machines, they need more amps for same thickness and eat more nozzles. Ratio is like 1:5

TheJDMan
11-04-2011, 07:22 PM
I have one of the cheap Chinese Lotos plasma cutters and they do use up tips but the price is under $300. Here is a link to an ebay listing. if you buy one, also buy a supply of comsumables. It works well but you have to supply it with 220v.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT5000D-LOTOS-50A-Air-Inverter-Plasma-Cutter-Torch-Cut-/250920422642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6c05ccf2

This is not a high quality macine but it does work and the price is easy to swallow.

out2kayak
11-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I really enjoy my Hypertherm Powermax 45. One of the most helpful tools I have.:thumbsup:

Just be careful and lock away any metal that you want to keep. When I first got mine I found it was really easy to get carried away.:D

:cheers:

jay72nova
11-05-2011, 03:25 PM
I have the eastwood chinese cheapy...and it works great...it actually cuts thicker than advertised...but for some reason I find myself grabing my cutoff wheels alot more then setting up the plasma...I'm kinda glad I got the cheepy since I really hardly ever go through the trouble to set it up when my grinders are ready to go by my side at all times.. I do use it for cutting round holes in the really thick stuff..but the for the cost of the plasma I could have bought alot of nice hole saws.
Jay

BBC69Camaro
11-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Personally I think you be better off trying to find a used Miller or Lincoln on Craigslist or Ebay than buying a cheap one and have it break on you later, or have trouble finding parts since it was discontinued etc.

GregWeld
12-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I have the eastwood chinese cheapy...and it works great...it actually cuts thicker than advertised...but for some reason I find myself grabing my cutoff wheels alot more then setting up the plasma...I'm kinda glad I got the cheepy since I really hardly ever go through the trouble to set it up when my grinders are ready to go by my side at all times.. I do use it for cutting round holes in the really thick stuff..but the for the cost of the plasma I could have bought alot of nice hole saws.
Jay

I totally agree with this sentiment. It's the VERY LAST tool I would replace in my shop. It's used MAYBE twice a year. It's FAST if you're hogging out the floor of a rust bucket... but you can just as easily use a cut off wheel - a Sawzall... etc. You don't even need air since there are electric versions of these... but you need air for the Plasma. It's one of those tools that is more of a "I want" than a "I need".

closs2sx
07-29-2012, 10:04 AM
I have a hypertherm powermax 45 works great just wish I had more things to do with it. I would love to build some implements for my kubota like a hitch to put on the loader and move my trailers around without hooking my truck up

Syclone892
08-05-2012, 04:58 PM
I have a hypertherm at work not sure what model it is off hand but it works great. My boss really likes that brand and I can see why. My dad and I bought a cheap older miller years ago and its okay for bodywork anything more than that your better off with a cut off wheel etc.

Good luck on the search :thumbsup:

badmatt
08-05-2012, 07:42 PM
I have a lincoln Pro-cut 55.

But my buddy has one of those Everlast machines and its a decent machine for under g-note.

Matt