PDA

View Full Version : Mig welding technique

Northcoastnovas
08-29-2011, 11:39 AM
When mig welding,do you push or pull?I've heard people say push,but miller videos show pull.So which is better if one is better at all?

almcbri
08-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I prefer t pull. Some instances I have pushed. I am a lot more steady pulling.

Johnjan
08-29-2011, 02:25 PM
I almost always push. Although I've learned that manipulating the torch is mute is I don't have clean surfaces, good fitment, and correct voltage/wire speed.

Sieg
08-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Visability can better when pushing.

Get a bunch of scraps and practice practice practice.

The WidowMaker
08-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Visability can better when pushing.

i find the opposite lol.

nobodys right or wrong, it just goes to show that personal preference is the correct way. some say that you will get more penetration with one or the other, but its argued both ways. i just stick with a pull because i can do it better and that leads to more penetration.

Sieg
08-29-2011, 09:22 PM
i find the opposite lol.
Must be standing on the wrong side of the gun or holding it with the wrong hand. :unibrow: Thus the emphasis on practice and finding which techinques work best for you Northcoastnovas.

Northcoastnovas
08-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the reply's.I appreciate the people who respond.:thumbsup:

Sieg
08-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all the reply's.I appreciate the people who respond.:thumbsup:

Having fun practicing!

FWIW - I went through two medium sized bottles of gas before it really clicked. What held me back most was conservative heat and wire speed settings, too much stick out, now at 3-4mm, and too much gun angle. Sound is one of the better indicators, a consistent sizzle like frying eggs or bacon works! :thumbsup:

Northcoastnovas
08-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Having fun practicing!

FWIW - I went through two medium sized bottles of gas before it really clicked. What held me back most was conservative heat and wire speed settings, too much stick out, now at 3-4mm, and too much gun angle. Sound is one of the better indicators, a consistent sizzle like frying eggs or bacon works! :thumbsup:

Yes.My practice was building a Rotisserie,a shop press,a media blasting cabinet and a angle iron table for the blast cabinet.
At this point I'm relatively comfortable with the process and understand the basics.I just thought I would ask the question to see what other members opinions we're.I have used both push and pull and pulling seems to be easier,mainly visually.I worked with a gentleman that swore pushing was a better weld process,yet when I bought my miller the intro video showed pulling the weld.I figured if pushing was the correct way then miller would have showed this style welding.Definitely a lot of fun.I have noticed some days it seems easier than others.Thanks again.........:cheers:

GregWeld
08-30-2011, 07:19 PM
The correct answer is "it depends".... either way is fine. Settle for the one you're the most comfortable doing. A good weld is not about pushing or pulling -- but about the PROPER penetration - and not undercutting - and the correct amount of fill material etc. It has much more to do with speed - heat - feed speed etc.

Sometimes I push - sometimes I pull - sometimes you're welding upside-down and backwards. It's whatever you have to do to get 'er done. The actual WELD quality is the key.

Revved
10-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I find myself doing both... pulling mostly.... I've never been officially "taught" how to weld, just been using a MIG off and on for about 15 years and I think Greg said it best... you have to play all the options of what you are welding, the physical access to the weld, the material you are welding and do what is most comfortable. I find that I can control the heat in the metal better when I pull, get a better looking weld, and better penetration.

+1 on the practice!

TheJDMan
11-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Push or pull there is no right or wrong. The most important thing is being able to see the puddle as you move the bead along. This may reguire a pull or a push depending on the position. I agree, practice, practice, practice.

SSLance
12-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Digging up an old thread here, but with my recent birthday present to myself...I'm having to learn how to weld all over again.

Just picked this up and got it set up and running yesterday.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PEbxI8jby_8/Ur9dTykCTSI/AAAAAAAALjs/bp7olE_U_M0/w386-h684-no/IMG_20131228_172143_538.jpg

Had to make an extension cord \ adapter to be able to plug it into the RV style plug I have on my lift but that all worked as planned. Once it was up and running, I grabbed an old lawn mower blade and ran some beads just to check and make sure everything worked.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3sXURcq6rGc/Ur9dO3Gg80I/AAAAAAAALjg/_hiW125sZ_Q/w386-h684-no/IMG_20131228_172107_516.jpg

Man!! What a difference from the old Weld Pak 100 that I've been using for years!!! Even with just one short bead the whole end of the blade got red hot.

The big thick bead to the left was my first one with the setting both on autoselect. I then started turning down both the voltage and the wire speed as I moved around. Granted I was just laying beads on a piece of flat steel, not joining two pieces...but I could feel the differences as I turned things down and got a better feel for the gun.

I have a few issues to deal with. First, my helmet. I've got a harbor freight special auto darkening helmet and it seems to turn on and off pretty well but with this new hotter puddle, I can only see the puddle, not the steel I'm welding on. Hopefully I can adjust on it to lighten things up so I can see what I'm welding on. I guess I can budget ahead for a better helmet...but I need to build some funds back up after the welder purchase first.

Anyway...I'm sure as I go along I'll have more tips and tricks questions regarding mig welding to ask. Hope you all don't mind sharing your experiences with me and anyone else following along.

GregWeld
12-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Before asking for a bunch of questions --- go watch some videos on YouTube....

Welding tips and tricks.com

That will get you started better.

SSLance
12-29-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm about 5 or 6 videos in already Greg, thanks...

Back in high school I took welding in Voc-tech for a year where we learned gas welding, then cutting torch and lastly stepped up to stick arc welding. So I understand the theory, it's just adapting to the latest types of machines I have to pick up.

So far, I really like the new welder. Just need to get some scrap steel and start burning some wire. I've already picked up a few tricks from the videos.

GregWeld
12-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Good! Watching the videos is very helpful to someone just beginning --- and there's an entire series discussing almost anything you need to know about. Personally I think "watching" is faster than trying to "read" and do.

SSLance
12-29-2013, 01:14 PM
What I learned mainly by watching the videos was I needed to pick up my travel speed. Guess I was used to a lower powered welder where I had to wait on it all of the time. With this one as I picked the speed up it didn't pile up the weld nearly as much.

Spent about 15 minutes making passes across this lawnmower blade laying one bead on top of the next with the blade vertical in the vice. Felt a lot better. Actually made a nicer looking weld pushing instead of pulling the puddle for some reason.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ExSQXNi9YOE/UsBp6IUzmiI/AAAAAAAALks/PtzjVDUf6-Y/w1213-h684-no/IMG_20131229_122904_389.jpg

Put the wire speed back on auto set and it felt great too.

I need to get some more and different sizes of scrap so I can practice welding two pieces together now.

I also dialed the helmet back one notch and I could see what I was welding on much better. I didn't weld too much, we'll see if I have any irritation in my eyes tonight because of this. I've had flashburn in my eyes before and it SUCKS. Don't want that happening again, ever...

With a stick welder, we were taught to flick the stick forward of where the puddle was to preheat the area ahead for better penetration. The videos I watched for MIG welding all talked about a cursive "e" pattern or even a "u" pattern, but it seemed like that was more for a better looking weld than better penetration.

With a MIG do you use the voltage increase to increase penetration or welding pattern or a combination of both?

GregWeld
12-29-2013, 02:14 PM
A couple of things -- #1 -- that end of the blade can only take so much heat before it affects everything you do. You need more metal to practice on... otherwise you're trying to compensate for metal that is already hot as hell.

#2 --- penetration is controlled by amperage - voltage (which is your wire feed dial on that machine I think) -- and travel speed. Sorry -- but that's all called "learning to weld". HAHAHAHAHAHA because it's a little of everything combined.

#3 --- rarely do I move the torch in any pattern unless the weld area calls for it. If I'm welding vertical UP -- in a corner - Yeah... I'd have to travel to both sides of the job to make the weld. On two pieces of flat material - laying on a table - tight fit up --- no motion is required. Push or pull. I usually PULL when I'm welding thicker material as I think it carries more heat into the material --- or I'll go a little more upright on the torch and bury more wire... or..... Well -- again -- it all depends - depends on where your head is vs the piece... the gap -- the angle of the pieces or whatever. Sometimes a guy has to weld left handed to get into a spot. Sometimes the particular style of oscillation is the type of weld you're making. Vertical up on a flat seam is one thing --- an inside corner with a gap is another...

BTW - not being a smart ass here.... it just is so variable.

Roberts68
12-29-2013, 03:24 PM
For a pretty economical helmet with really great visibility check out htp weld USA, I bought their striker (I think that was the name) on sale last year and was flat out amazed compared to the auto darkening helmets I had used previously.

Here's a link : http://www.usaweld.com/Striker-Stealth-WG-Welding-Helmet-p/90130-wg.htm (http:// http://www.usaweld.com/Striker-Stealth-WG-Welding-Helmet-p/90130-wg.htm)

SSLance
12-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks Robert, I'll keep that link if it looks like I need to upgrade.

Greg, it's all good, appreciate the help. It is really all about feel...and seat time so to speak. I don't plan on doing a bunch of fabrication but it is nice to be able to put down a good weld in a pinch without a bunch of trial and error.

I'm planning in my head some chassis strengthening and bracing options that may be a product of some practicing... Two birds one stone kinda deal.

GregWeld
12-29-2013, 05:09 PM
I've said it in 50 different welding threads -- if you can't see -- you can't weld. Period. You have to be able to see what you're doing. But then again -- I'm kind of an equipment kind of guy.... the right stuff for the right job.

There's 4 different helmets - used for different things... A couple of them (the ones hanging on the TIG machine - are capable of lower settings -- so I can TIG at very low amperage and still see...

One of the helmets on the MIG machine is set up more for sheet metal tacks if I don't just want to close my eyes.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Fun%20Fotos/IMG_2916_zpsabad4151.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/gregweld/media/Fun%20Fotos/IMG_2916_zpsabad4151.jpg.html)

GregWeld
12-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks Robert, I'll keep that link if it looks like I need to upgrade.

Greg, it's all good, appreciate the help. It is really all about feel...and seat time so to speak. I don't plan on doing a bunch of fabrication but it is nice to be able to put down a good weld in a pinch without a bunch of trial and error.

I'm planning in my head some chassis strengthening and bracing options that may be a product of some practicing... Two birds one stone kinda deal.

Building stuff - or being able to do a job yourself is FUN! I don't care what anyone says. I love being able to just fix something!

67zo6Camaro
01-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Lurker and I just though I would contribute.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k514/Fab50Three/Badmotofinger%2068%20Camaro/IMG_6555_zps9f4c2a7f.jpg

For you MIG lovers, welding out of position upside down. (TIP: reduce wire speed 25% and increase heat to the next level above the metal that is being welded. On the up-right start at top and go down and pause every 2 beads just enough time to let the red fade before starting next 2 beads down. On the over head, use a skip back pattern after burning in each bead. On the over head you will need to speed up and keep an eye on the melted pool so it does not get to big and sag or drip). This shot of the weld shows it after it was just been wiped down, I used an Anti-Spatter spray prior to welding.

Sieg
01-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Lurker and I just though I would contribute.

What a hack job! :lol:

Bret - Beautiful work! Thanks for the setting advice too.

I would really like to see a video of you running simple bead on flat work......in your spare time of course. Set a GoPro up!

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-rQ2Bdqd/0/M/i-rQ2Bdqd-M.jpg