PDA

View Full Version : total ls cost conversion ?

speedshftr
08-27-2011, 07:55 AM
can anyone guess how much a total conversion would cost.?nothing fancy just basic stuff

Cris@JCG
08-27-2011, 09:26 AM
It depends on what car & manual or automatic trans..

Shop for pull out motors..

can anyone guess how much a total conversion would cost.?nothing fancy just basic stuff

DarkoNova
08-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Depends on if you can find any deals, really. And how many miles you prefer the engine to have. Lower mileage aluminum engines = big bucks.

I found an LS1 out of a 2002 Camaro with 40,000 miles and paid $2500 shipped.

$100-ish for mounts
$500-ish for harness mods
$300-minimum for fuel system mods

Then there's the exhaust system that needs to be modified, possible driveshaft lengthening/shortening, etc.

If you do the bare minimum, like just sump your tank and run a C5 fuel filter/regulator, use the stock exhaust manifolds, etc, it shouldn't be all that much more than a cheap SBC rebuild. But I'd say set aside a good 3-4 grand, minimum.

BTW, there's deals out there especially in this economy. That 40,000 mile LS1 I had? I had to sell it last year when I lost my job. Someone picked that thing up for $1500. :(

kochevy67
08-27-2011, 12:42 PM
That is a hard ? to answer without additional information like make of vehicle, carb or efi, etc.

realcoray
08-27-2011, 11:27 PM

On ls1tech there are posts about doing it for ~1500$ including engine (truck 5.3). The plates you can make, the harness you can modify yourself etc.

Jgpclone
08-28-2011, 02:13 AM

from 5k to 7k :unibrow:
from a to z and thats nothing fancy

zmaniac
08-28-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm currently doing an LS Swap in a Chevy ll, I'll be 5k into it when I'm Finished.

almcbri
08-28-2011, 01:38 PM
LS1 with 63K $1500
Trans: T56 $1000 + $600 in upgrades
new Z06 clutch kit $400
slave cylinder & reservoir & line $189 ebay
Crossmember: re-worked stock TH400 x-member + new mount $15
Conversion Motor Mount Plates with 327 motor mounts: $35 ebay
Oil Pan Modification and p/u extension: $100 local welder
Lokar LS1 throttle cable and gas pedal $130 ebay
Dynatech headers $367-$430 (used a jegs discount code)
Dakota digital vhx gauges $667-$730 (this kit comes with all the sensors)
Wiring Harness and computer www.chevythunder.com (http://www.chevythunder.com) $475
Walbro 255 fuel pump $70
misc. fuel lines and fittings $115 jegs
hard lines $100
99+C5 fuel filter/regulator $35 rockauto
stock LS1 radiator and fans $150-$250
radiator hoses, overflow tank
power steering hoses $75-100
ac bracket kwik performance $210
fuel tank $60 in my 94 caprice tank or spectra $400
shorten driveshaft $100-$200
misc. bolts $75

I would say and easy $5000 on a budget with a T56 and stock a motor
$4000 or so with a 4l60e on a budget with a stock motor

Musclerodz
08-31-2011, 12:20 AM
without penny pinching, figure $5k plus motor and tranny components. If you really shopped and could do all the work, used a 5.3 and 4 speed auto, you might be able to do the whole thing for $5k

94snglturbo
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
man i wish it was that cheap for me :) ls2, fully built 4l80e, custom built turbo kit, speartech harness oh ya..

5k seems like a good number tho if you dont go all out. my speartech harness was 1400$ by itself

Vicinity
09-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Mines a few hairs over $5k.

Low mile LS1, Viper T56, and a few goodies to make the swap require less fab. Nothing really fancy.

EDIT: Damn it, sorry, didn't check the dates.

MaxHarvard
09-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I'll be the lone guy here and say $10k is not all that unreasonable.

After you get the front accessories, engine, custom harness, modify the fuel system, upgrade the radiator and add all the fittings, hoses and misc extra stuff... $10k is fairly reasonable.

6D9 Matt
09-17-2012, 03:15 PM
I would have to agree ^^^

Things can add up quick... especially if swapping in an LS2/LS3. :P

Yenko68
09-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Maybe I'm too spoiled in America but maybe all the combos McDonalds and every other place offers I would think and hope that someone would offer a kit for conversions. the basic Nugget kids meal with maybe just the headers, pan, and bracket kit. To the super size combo which is everything you need minus the engine or the grand slam which is the engine to Fuel tank. I know I have a 68 Camaro and Complete LQ4 minus harness brain and would like to know what all the junk like pulleys,harness headers, brackets estimated labor hours ETC. Someone jump on this we all are wondering. I hope it is just not me.

Thumpt
09-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Maybe I'm too spoiled in America but maybe all the combos McDonalds and every other place offers I would think and hope that someone would offer a kit for conversions. the basic Nugget kids meal with maybe just the headers, pan, and bracket kit. To the super size combo which is everything you need minus the engine or the grand slam which is the engine to Fuel tank. I know I have a 68 Camaro and Complete LQ4 minus harness brain and would like to know what all the junk like pulleys,harness headers, brackets estimated labor hours ETC. Someone jump on this we all are wondering. I hope it is just not me.

Ok, so further to what you are saying, there must be heaps of build shops and other professionals out there that do these all the time and charge for their services, so they would know pretty accurately what it all costs???

geberhard
09-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I think Alm posted a great overview and ballpark on the previous page.

One thing that a lot of people here looking into doing this on a budget are missing out as far as doing this swap is that it can actually be done for almost $0 or no cost out of pocket. How you ask me?

I am just going through the same motions, and so far, out of pocket I am expecting to spend between $400-1000 if I go with very fancy gauges.

Basically my suggestion is to buy a complete runner car, 99 and up Camaro\Firebird, and part out the car. Sure it takes some work, but will put you way ahead. Yu can find them in the $3-4K range or even lower for salvaged or cars that had damage to the body.

In my case I bought a complete Camaro convertible, t56 manual, and parted out the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/geberhard/99Z28yo/5Ga5F85Jd3I53L83Jdc4kd7fefa4acbf715e7.jpg

Sure it takes at least a full day to part out the car completely, plus whatever time to take pics, list the stuff on craigslist, etc however you will come way ahead, plus have extra parts you can use on your build, or sell to further offset the swap cost. In my case, I am utilizing the stock radiator and fans, tranny, engine, and the LS1 sized big brakes. Some may even utilize the interior to update their cars, seats, even dashboards and gauges are becoming good swaps on first gens

I parted out the car, sold seats, axle, subframe, interior panels, body parts, and finally body, and passed break even and some funds left, plus still have several parts left I may use, give to friends or sell to further offset the swap cost.

Getting a complete car has several benefits. You are not buying an engine or tranny with more doubtful past than from a yard, can get to hear it run and possibly even drive it, and In a nutshell, if you do not take into consideration the time to part out and sell the parts, what can also be a fun and gratifying experience it can be done for free :)

Gui

gchank
09-22-2012, 03:52 PM
I dont know about the 5 grand number. 1969 camaro swap and I would say much closer to 10k than to the 5k. Lots of little stupid stuff that just adds up and up. This number closer to the 10k mark is nothin majorly fancy but done correctly. Also the extra things you find while doing this swap while not in the lower numbers happens,,,trust me,,,,those extras happen.

geberhard
09-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Are you doing the work yourself?

Ron in SoCal
09-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Tom Farrington did a pretty good spreadsheet of his costs and came up somewhere in the $14k range. He started w a low mile l92 drop out.

Tig
09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Go pick up Nov 12 issue of Car Craft, it has two very good features with LS swaps on a budget.

I like geberhards idea. If I had the space, thats what I'd do.

I also do agree, the little things add up and fast.

Stuart Adams
09-23-2012, 10:13 AM

Add up everyone's guess and that's your total!!

More than you think.

geberhard
09-23-2012, 11:56 AM
See my response, I think can be done for almost nothing if done yourself :)

realcoray
09-23-2012, 08:05 PM
It can be done for cheap:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115983

Some people think because they spent X, it costs X. In raw terms the motor is likely the cost the most, and depending on how skilled you are, you can probably spend 1000-1500$ to get it in and running. If you order parts out of a catalog, like your fuel system, a reworked harness etc, you'll probably have a multiple of that gone.

I spent 2500$ on my motor, 1500$ on parts to get it going, doing a custom fuel system, reworking the harness myself and so forth.

I also will spend about 3k or so in parts to upgrade it or that are related but completely optional.

srh3trinity
10-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I am finding it costs more than I would have guessed, but I also have moved from trying to make some budget things work here and there to doing it the way I wanted to in the first place. I initially had bought an LQ4 that I was going to freshen up, then I wanted LS3 heads and a cam. Then I found somebody that wanted my LQ4 (which I parted out the accessories, intake, etc and gotten all of my money back from the original purchase) and then I found an LS3 block. I have found that all of the little stuff is what will really get you though. Accessories, transmission, gaskets, headers, PCM/wiring, gauges, gas tank, radiator as many others have mentioned. I justify it by thinking about the fact that most of those would have been replaced anyway (new gas tank, radiator, gauges).

efs69
10-11-2012, 04:07 PM
I started out on the budget build as well and still ended up spending a lot more than I planned and its still going. I got caught up in the "while I'm in there" mode. The more i read these forum builds the more I want!!

tommycomfort
10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Tom Farrington did a pretty good spreadsheet of his costs and came up somewhere in the $14k range. He started w a low mile l92 drop out.

I just cut this from our P-T.com build thread. We definitely spent extra money on some beautiful parts that function as good as they look.

Don't shoot the messenger, this is just where we ended up. Oh yeah, we have dumped plenty more in engine rebuilds and replacement since the winter of 2010/11. All in the name of a hobby...

The price tag!
Not sure if anyone really wants to look at this, but I have been keeping a running word document of $$$ spent on the swap. It doesn't show the $3900 that we sold the BBC for or parts from the L92 that we've sold or still need to sell. I left a few things blank to honor agreements. I did estimate a little low when I sold this idea to myself and Deb, but I think it will be worth it in the end. (crossing my fingers)

66 Chevelle LS swap

Engine: L92 (2008 Escalade) $4200

LS3 intake $275

Mast Motorsports M-90 DBW L99 HO performance package, DBW pedal, and oil pan $$$$.$$

LS bellhousing (LS1tech classifieds) $160

Valve spring tool and air fitting $60.00

RPM transmission LS midplate, input shaft and labor $620

Keisler Clutch actuator, LS old school flywheel and bellhousing bolts $903.85

Gaskets (oil pan, timing cover, valve covers) $100 +/-

Ricks stainless fuel tank $1100 shipped

DSE LS/SBC coilover springs for swap $$$.$$

Spark plugs and JB Weld for valve covers $59.80

Hooker headers and mounts $$$.$$

Earl’s lines for PCV, Accusump, remote oil filter and cooler $141.86

GM valve cover bolt and starter bolts $14.83

Mast Motorsports O2 sensors (2) $94.98

Napa C-5 fuel filter/regulator $42.80

Pure Choice Motorsports EFI fuel rail -6 fitting and (3) regulator -6 fittings $91.90

PCV canister (Mike Norris) $100

Exhaust clamps, Lokar dipstick, thermostat (Summit racing) $104.75

More Earl’s AN fittings $66.16

More Earl’s AN fittings for PCV system $62.62

Shaftmasters driveshaft $307.39

Remote power steering reservoir and aluminum pump (DSE) $276.75

Roadster shop 8” shifter handle (3” setback) $81.45

Earl’s Indy 16’ -6 pro-lite 350 black hose and two toggles $124.38

Warner Steel (aluminum scrap for brackets) $13.11

Hubler Chevrolet (08 Corvette MAP sensor) $69

CAR-X (Bend exhaust tube to connect to hooker headers) $100

Automotion spd. shop (wilwood 570 for clutch & Royal Purple synchromax for trans) $83.42

VA front runner system $$$$.$$

Radiator hoses and tubes from Speedway Motors. $150.25

Tig weld radiator and tubes $20

McMaster Carr shrink tube radiator clamps and wiring shrink tube $27.62

Total paid: $14864.78

geberhard
10-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Tom, excellent list, but I gotta say you guys went all out and did a superb build using a lot of top shelf stuff. As much as the Ls1 and its "L" cousing engines are becoming the bread for newer hot rods, prices are starting to drop on parts, more combos are coming up and there are several areas where $ can be saved without cuting corners.

I admit I have an unfair advantage buying a complete runner, parting it out and recouping the investment quicker, but am still surprised why more people are not doing the same (or if they are, they just want to stay quiet about it, pshhhh :))

Yes, add labor cost to part the car and sell the stuff and things may balance out, however you have a full and complete running car to start with everything to pick from. That will save a lot of your time on the net or time figuring out missing stuff needed, or going to multiple drives to buy parts or to stores to buy misc stuff that is missing when you start with a complete donor form the get go, so basically am considering that a partial wash.

Gui

1transam
10-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Tom, excellent list, but I gotta say you guys went all out and did a superb build using a lot of top shelf stuff. As much as the Ls1 and its "L" cousing engines are becoming the bread for newer hot rods, prices are starting to drop on parts, more combos are coming up and there are several areas where $ can be saved without cuting corners.

I admit I have an unfair advantage buying a complete runner, parting it out and recouping the investment quicker, but am still surprised why more people are not doing the same (or if they are, they just want to stay quiet about it, pshhhh :))

Yes, add labor cost to part the car and sell the stuff and things may balance out, however you have a full and complete running car to start with everything to pick from. That will save a lot of your time on the net or time figuring out missing stuff needed, or going to multiple drives to buy parts or to stores to buy misc stuff that is missing when you start with a complete donor form the get go, so basically am considering that a partial wash.

Gui

Your letting my knowledge out!!!! LOL!

Im the king of cheap, and my car will run just as long, just as hard as most on here LOL!!!!! If you cant part an F-body which is the cheapest way to go.... then choose plan b below!~

I could do a complete automatic swap ls setup in any chevy for $2500 OUT THE DOOR... I have 4 cars currently on the road with swaps FYI!!!!

AND LOL at 10,000 for a swap theres nothing budget about 10,000 dollars in a drivetrain... GM Does that much for a new car.... LOL

ryeguy2006a
10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I am currently at a grand total of -$600 for my LS1/6 speed swap due to parting out a complete running/driving car. I ended up swapping my stock Pontiac 400 and 6 speed for a complete 99Z28 Camaro. I have parted out the car, and still am parting out the car and have made around 600 bucks so far. I got a great deal, but I would highly recommend buying a complete car and parting out the rest.

I still need to buy my headers(Kooks swap headers $800-900), gauges, plumbing, and other misc. costs, but I should break even when all is said and done. Not everyone will be able to do that, but it can be done.

geberhard
10-22-2012, 02:54 PM
same here, hoping net cost will be in the sub $1000 after all said and done :)

Option fo those looking into turbo their puppies is to save money on headers, get some truck ones, flip around, then spend the header funds on a turbo instead ;)