PDA

View Full Version : 220 question for welder ?

orangevert
08-25-2011, 08:35 PM
I have a Hobart 250 beta mig, with gas running on 220 30 amp. When welding for lighter gauge steal, 17 gauge it says to turn to 4-5 but doesn't want to work,If I turn it down to 3 its works but easily burns through. Could my problem be not enough amps? I do have another out let that is a 50 amp that I will put correct plug on tomorrow.

Thanks in advance
Kirk

GregWeld
08-27-2011, 04:20 PM
I have a Hobart 250 beta mig, with gas running on 220 30 amp. When welding for lighter gauge steal, 17 gauge it says to turn to 4-5 but doesn't want to work,If I turn it down to 3 its works but easily burns through. Could my problem be not enough amps? I do have another out let that is a 50 amp that I will put correct plug on tomorrow.

Thanks in advance
Kirk

That welder is discontinued - and it's replacement (the 2510) calls for 50 amp input. However - that probably is not your problem. If the welder required too much amp draw - it should pop the circuit breaker. Does it do that?

If you download - if you can find it - the owners manual - it should show you a chart of the INPUT required for the welding conditions you are asking it to do.

17 gauge isn't that much material - so I can't imagine it not being able to weld that on 30 amps.

rixtrix1
08-28-2011, 11:06 PM
both can affect burn through on lighter guage metals. 75/25 is the ARGON/CO2 gas mix I would use, CO2 burns hotter and has more splatter, so I like to use as little as possible.

As for wire, .025 seems to work well for me on sheetmetal, either "easy-grind" for non-structural or ER70S-6 for more strength.

I have a lincoln SP-175 220v welder, so it's got less draw than yours.

Ric

GregWeld
08-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Sorry RixTrix --- That is bad advice.

Pure argon will make a LOUSY MIG weld.... unless he's welding aluminum.

Not sure where you got your information... but it's just plain wrong. I'm not saying this to be mean - or to embarrass you personally... Many folks read these threads and bad information can lead to people doing things incorrectly.

To the OP (Original Poster) == stick to using 75/25 CO2/Argon mix for MIG welding. The pure argon will have lousy penetration - poor wetting - and undercutting.

rixtrix1
08-29-2011, 01:48 AM
Sorry RixTrix --- That is bad advice.

Pure argon will make a LOUSY MIG weld.... unless he's welding aluminum.

Not sure where you got your information... but it's just plain wrong. I'm not saying this to be mean - or to embarrass you personally... Many folks read these threads and bad information can lead to people doing things incorrectly.

To the OP (Original Poster) == stick to using 75/25 CO2/Argon mix for MIG welding. The pure argon will have lousy penetration - poor wetting - and undercutting.

Thanks for setting me straight, Greg. Corrected post to reflect your sage advice. I did use a bottle of 90/10 my neighbor had to finish some light sign work after I ran out of 75/25 and it worked great, but it was all stitch weld on .040 steel. Came out very clean. Will talk to neighbor about his argon suggestion.

Sorry to pass along bad info without following up myself. Won't happen again.