PDA

View Full Version : Header fitment

mbuckner3917
02-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I've been lurking here for a while and love the site, I've picked up a lot of great ideas, too bad I'm not a mechanic or fabricator.

Since I've confessed my limited knowledge up front I hope everyone will bear with me as I ask what very well may be a stupid question.

I'm having an engine built with brodix heads that have raised exhaust ports. My original choice of hooker super comps apparently will not fit.

I looked into Hedman headers and found 2 that may work. The footnotes say they will fit brodix high port heads but not with deck block. I do not have a tall deck so that should not be a problem. The footnote that worries me states that flange may need to be cut btw ports to install. Do not cut btw twin ports.

When I called Hedman about that I was told if the headers were installed on the engine before being placed in the car the flange should not need to be cut.

Here's my newbie question.

Can an engine with headers allready attached be installed in a 69 camaro with a stock subframe that has been lowered 2"

That doesn't seem likely to me but I have virtually no experience with the problem.

My other question is, if the flange has to be cut how much trouble is that and does it have negative effects?

Thanks in advance

hotwheels
02-03-2006, 07:15 PM
i am not to sure on the cutting of the flange issue......seem's like kook's or one of those top brand header builder's, have set's that don't need any work like that......

As far as placement of the header's, i would personally pull the motor to do it......i know it seem's like a pain, but in the long run, it will be easier.....

great to meet you to, by the way............hotwheels

rocketman
02-08-2006, 09:10 PM
i would find a good fab shop and have a set built.i've built my own its not real hard just time and money consuming.

jay web
02-18-2006, 10:23 PM
you could always run down to DSE & have them whip up a set for you - :unibrow:

jannes_z-28
02-19-2006, 01:56 AM
On you first question: I presume you are asking if you can mount the engine in to the car if the headers are bolted to the engine while you are mounting it. The answer is no. You have to first place the engine and then from underneat raise the headers in to its place. This means that the car has to be raised pretty high.
In some cases you have to unbolt the drivers side engine mount so you can raise the engine to make room.

2:
There is no problem to cut the flange, just use a hacksaw or cutting disc. What can be problematic is that the tubes could be under stress from the welding and that could lead to that the flange moves slightly so that they don't line up. No great problem but it could be more difficult to bolt them in place.

Edit:
I saw from another post that you asked about bigblock headers.
If you have a '69 with Bigblock it is important that you have the BigBlock engine mounts, other wise the headers wouldn't fit at all. If your car originally was a smallblock car you have the wrong enginemounts.

Good Luck

Jan