PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

jjl4004
02-02-2006, 01:33 PM
I would like to lower my 1968 Chevelle (big block) and make it look and handle more like a pro-touring car. My plans are to get some 5-spoke 17 or 18 inch rims and drop the car down to get it a sporty stance. This would be my first suspension project on the car to move toward the pro-touring look, so I'd like some of your opinions/knowledge on this subject.

I'd like mine to sit a little bit lower in the rear than the one in this picture, but this is pretty close to the look I'm after...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/membe...99/794855_2.jpg

I assume those wheels are 16" or 17", so the wheels would be a little larger too.

Would lowering springs and new shocks give me the look I'm after? Do you recommend any specific type/brand? Do I need drop-spindels to achieve the look I'm after? What is the advantage of coil-over shocks (if any) and would they be appropriate for this project?

I'm just looking for a starting point and any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

markss28
02-02-2006, 03:57 PM
No dice dude I cant see the link.

Any way. You can lower the car using springs from Hotchkis on all 4 corners. They have packages for your car and others for around $1100 this will also get you some other components that will make your car handle better.

I would personaly go with 18 all around, it just looks better. Try to fit the fattest you can in the back. I dont know how big you can go on those cars but probably and 18x9 would clear. You would have to check your back spacing for fitment but no big deal.

jjl4004
02-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Sorry, let's try this again....

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/794000-794999/794855_2.jpg

markss28
02-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Cool, GO with the hotchkis stuff and if you need to go lower. drop spindles is the right way to do it, but you could just cut a coil off of the hotchkis springs.

When you first install springs even if it is still not low enough, drive it around for a week or 2 just to get the springs to set in. If still nothing start by cutting 1/2-1 coil off of the springs depending on how high the car still looks. be careful though you may start rubbing after go so low, so check for clearance.