PDA

View Full Version : BF Goodrich DR vs. Nitto 555R

Y-TRY
02-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Any opinions compare/contrasting the new BF Goodrich G-Force T/A Drag Radials vs. Nitto 555R Drag Radials?

In particular, the 18's, on 9.5" wheels

Nitto 285/35 18's, BFG 275/35 or 295/35's

Things to consider:

Tread life?
High-speed stability?
Straight-line hook-up?
Max Load? (the BFG 18's are rated for lighter load. 1201 vs. 1609, but how much do I need?)

I'm sure there will be some sort of concession between the better hooking tire and the more stable tire, but if one tire is BOTH, then let me know.

Any mags done a comparo? If so, link?

Is it really beneficial to swap to a DR?

The car is built to drive, but I don't get to as much as I'd like. I generally don't go crusing in inclement weather, but I don't want to park it under an overpass at every sign of a sprinkle. With 3.25's and Overdrive, they need to be pretty stable at 80-90mphn cruising and short supersonic passes. Very little track-time (road race), although they need to compliment the beefed-up suspension.

hotwheels
02-01-2006, 09:32 PM
i have friends' running both and we just had this discussion the other nite......the bf is the better tire all around for street and strip.....just our opinion.

Blown353
02-01-2006, 11:35 PM
I'd consider some Nitto NT555R2's-- it's their R-compound road race tire. Lots of traction (same compound as the drag radials) with more emphasis on cornering.

They make them in 285/35.

Datsbad
02-02-2006, 09:07 PM
I am here to tell you that none of them stand a chance against the mickey thompson drag radials. (yes i have had the others also) they are unreal how they hook up . they helped me get my rather portly pig convertible mustang to 11.80's , these also gave me a 1.74 60 ft in a pure street car . I was happy

Blown353
02-02-2006, 09:13 PM
I am here to tell you that none of them stand a chance against the mickey thompson drag radials.

Very true... those things are awesome in a straight line. Just don't try and take the turn onto the return road too fast. Mmmm, squirmy!

Last time at the strip I got griped at by tech by taking the turn onto the return road too quick. I had more fun jumping on the brakes for the first turnout and sliding through the first two turns on the return road than I did running up the 1/4. :P

For a good mix of straight line traction and turning traction, pretty much any R-compound road race tire would be a very good choice. If you're willing to sacrifice some turning manners, then the MT DR's would be an excellent choice as stated.

You may also want to look into some Yokohama A048's, Hoosier AS305's... just don't expect much life out of them!

Datsbad
02-02-2006, 09:32 PM
The mickeys is for straight line thats for sure. nowehere are they intended to be used as track tires. doesnt make much sense to expect them to do good in the turns with them airred down for launches , does it ?

by the way i am currently running the hooisers, they grip great in the turns but are not going to anything in a straight line for drag traction . the yoks, i just had and are worn out now , replaced them with the nitto NT01's on my other track wheels. (yes i have way to many sets of wheels and tires)

Blown353
02-02-2006, 11:34 PM
(yes i have way to many sets of wheels and tires)

No such thing. There is such a thing as too little storage space for all of them.

jjl4004
02-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Blown 353,

I checked out pictures of your 69 and I think it looks great. I have a 68 and I'm trying to get an idea of how I should start making my suspension better. I love the stance your 69 has. I see you used Global West parts/springs, and I was wondering how many inches of drop did their parts give you? Any suggestions for me on where to start this process...?

I know I jumped into this tread, but I'm new to the site and still trying to figure it out...

Y-TRY
02-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Problem with the M/T is that they don't come in 18's, besides the fact that they really aren't much of a street tire.

J2SpeedandCustom
02-09-2006, 01:07 PM
I have a set of 315/30/18's on a 6 spd, 800hp, turbo car. The are pretty decent all around at about 18psi. To get traction in the lower 3 gears you need to run in the 12 - 14psi range. They wear pretty decent with a good straight line alignment. These are not a good choice for taking corners or aligned for taking corners it chews up the insides really quick.

Oh and don't even think about driving in wet conditions, rain you just might as well stop and wait. :willy: