PDA

View Full Version : Help/ideas how to use C5 rearend with driveshaft

Bowtieracing
02-01-2006, 04:52 AM
Hello everyone!

Has anyone ever thought what does it need to convert C5 vette rearsuspension assy with rear end to regular driveshaft ? Just like when useing regular engine/trans at front then driveshaft to to C5 rear end. No torque tube etc. Could it be possible to machine flange wich would hold bearing and axle with yoke ?

Do you get what i am trying to say ? :wow:

ironworks
02-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Check out Bob johnsons cuda build up pics. In those pics you will see thay did just that. I don't think it would be to difficult but you wil probablt have to machine a few parts to make that happen. I just got done lengthing my torque tube for my C6 project pickup. It is pretty easy. Converting to driveshaft would be nice so you could lay the engine out in a different place than than using the torque tube mandates.

What are looking to put the drivetrain in?

Rodger

Bowtieracing
02-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Check out Bob johnsons cuda build up pics. In those pics you will see thay did just that.
Rodger

It was closer than i thought.. And i have been drooling Bobs cuda pics several times.. I had to as Bob if he could give few tips and hints to do it right at first time.

You are so right about placeing engine and trans combo with much more easily than useing torque tube. I am helping my friend who has 37 ford hot rod project. I sold him completely front suspension with R/P and rear system with out rear end and trans. Its going to one really handling car after its done!

I found rear end from vetteforum at 150 bucks. Its 2.73 but i think it was good deal!

I wonder how long does it take at some one will mfg and sell it as an kit.??

Bowtieracing
02-01-2006, 12:12 PM
I checked the Bob gallery again. I beleive they used still transmission at rear. Your plan is to use only the rear end gear and connect yoke to that.

bob johnson
02-02-2006, 08:28 AM
I checked the Bob gallery again. I beleive they used still transmission at rear. Your plan is to use only the rear end gear and connect yoke to that.
Our trans is in the rear..for weight distribution purposes..used a lakewood direct drive dragster scattershield with a Lenco spline input shaft hooked to the universal yoke on the driveshaft..that way we could get the 3.5" exhaust and the driveshaft in the tunnel.

Payton King
02-02-2006, 09:20 AM
21st Century, that is a sponsor on this site, has developed a C5 rear end for a 1st gen camaro. The narrow the cradle and shorten the half shafts but keep the stock geometry. I believe they machined an adapter to run a standard driveshaft, which I believe was your original question before I told you how to build a watch when you just asked what time it was.