PDA

View Full Version : Real values on our PT cars....

Streetking
07-28-2011, 12:26 PM
So I have been having conversations with serveral guys about values of our cars lately. I have been doing alot of research lately because I have been looking for a nice 2nd gen Camaro to buy. I am after a nice car with great paint/body that has a LS motor, mini tubbed ect. Anyway, I have found several cars on different sites. This got me thinking about what the value of my personal PT/Muscle cars that I own. Looking around E-bay, there are some cars that are simply way too over priced.. Chris was just looking at the
'69 in Canada that the guy wanted $250k, then I saw one in Dallas for $275k.. :_paranoid.. In today's market, those numbers are going to be very hard to get. I am currently building a car at DSE with a buddy of mine that is going to be over $300k. If we decided to put it on the market right after it's done, it would be hard to get a cash buyer to pay more than $150-175k, that's being realistic. When you build a certain car, it's your personal taste. Another person may not like the color, wheel selection you chose ect. These factors make resale harder, especially on the higher price cars. Bottom line is, you build/buy what you want in your budget and enjoy the hell out of it!

Autokraft
07-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Very well said! :D

Vegas69
07-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Another reason to actually USE the car. You'll never recover your investment so you better enjoy it.

elitecustombody
07-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Another reason to actually USE the car. You'll never recover your investment so you better enjoy it.

Amen,brother!I don't see another reason to build a car if it won't be used and abused, but that's just my opinion:_paranoid

HRBS
07-28-2011, 02:45 PM
the guys that have those up there for 275 are the ones who hear 's' from there other half and put it up for sale just to shut them up... as in... "see i put it up for sale but no one is interested"... :lol: works every time !

chrismoe
07-28-2011, 02:57 PM
So I have been having conversations with serveral guys about values of our cars lately. I have been doing alot of research lately because I have been looking for a nice 2nd gen Camaro to buy. I am after a nice car with great paint/body that has a LS motor, mini tubbed ect. Anyway, I have found several cars on different sites. This got me thinking about what the value of my personal PT/Muscle cars that I own. Looking around E-bay, there are some cars that are simply way too over priced.. Chris was just looking at the
'69 in Canada that the guy wanted $250k, then I saw one in Dallas for $275k.. :_paranoid.. In today's market, those numbers are going to be very hard to get. I am currently building a car at DSE with a buddy of mine that is going to be over $300k. If we decided to put it on the market right after it's done, it would be hard to get a cash buyer to pay more than $150-175k, that's being realistic. When you build a certain car, it's your personal taste. Another person may not like the color, wheel selection you chose ect. These factors make resale harder, especially on the higher price cars. Bottom line is, you build/buy what you want in your budget and enjoy the hell out of it!

SW,

Well said. As you mention, I have been looking around, activley searcing for a PT car to buy. The price range for PT cars is very wide. Just look at eBay today as one example. You have a 69 Camaro, mini-tubbed, LSX motor, nice interior, etc., etc., and, it was a finalist in the GG street machine of the year contest in 09. So, it has some "history". The dealer is asking $129,000 for that car and my guess is it could be had for $120,000 or less. Then, you see that black 69 Camaro in TX. with a similar build for $275,000?!?!?! Yea OK, he is throwing in a trailer but still, that is a 110% increase over a similar car. That is a big swing. Now, the 69 Camaro from the dealer for $129,000 is pretty unique meaning personlaized. So to your point, it may be so unique that it throws off prospective buyers. I can tell you that some of the finishing touches to that car, while very cool, convinced me not to buy it.

So, at the end of the day I think anyone spending a lot of money to build a PT car should recognize that there is not a complete ROI on their build. Rather, they are buiding their dream car and they should plan to enjoy the crap out of it - either show it or drive it or both - and then be preppared for an economy-driven "market adjustment" when they are ready to sell it.

My 2 cents.

Chris

MarkM66
07-28-2011, 03:41 PM
GG street machine of the year contest in 09. So, it has some "history". Chris

Actually, the ad states "2009 GoodGuys Muscle Car of the Year competition" as it was never a SMOY finalist.

But Muscle car of the year is for original numbers match stuff.

I think he meant to put Muscle Machine of the Year finalist. :)

ironworks
07-28-2011, 03:55 PM
A car is only worth what someone is willing to give for it. The moment you put the car on the market you set the value. Because you have to give it a price that appeals and satisfies you bottom dollar. The best way to get your money back is to build something that appeals to the most people. Price, Quality, Detail. The more of each one of these items it has, the more it takes to build and the less people that can afford the car. You can build the most appealing car on the planet but if the Quality and Detail are sky high, There might still a bunch of guys who can afford it, but how many of those that can afford the car, want it and at that price. Find guys who want a car is easy, finding guys who can afford it is a whole other game.

I know a handful of guys who have built cars and on the first outing were offered close to or more then build cost and turned it down only to sell the car for 1/3 of build cost 2 years later. I also know guys who make great money for a very appealing car if they sell it when "THAT GUY" walks up and has to have it.

I had a potential customer call and offer my current customer double his current build cost to sell his project. The Customer kind of agreed ( who would not )but his wife insanely declined to even hear the offer ( She loves this car ). The guy with all the money did not want to wait the time it takes to build the project and liked that he could name the color and have the truck in 1/3 of the the build time and still personalize the project for himself. MUST BE NICE.

srh3trinity
07-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I think you need to be realistic on the front end. I am building a 74 Firebird and I can't imagine that it would bring what I invest in it because it will be such a niche car. It just doesn't have the widespread appeal. I plan on keeping it around and I am building it for myself.

Steve1968LS2
07-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Sure you dont' want to buy an early first gen instead??.. will make you a deal since I know you'll drive her hard :)

Steve1968LS2
07-28-2011, 04:56 PM
But seriously.. cars ARE NOT INVESTMENTS.. they are hobbies and people need to realize that it's rare to get the money back out.

There's also the rule that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

If I have a $5000 Rolex watch and the best offer I can get to sell it is $100 then guess what.. it's a $100 Rolex watch.

In other words what an owner percieves as value is fairly meaninless.

Streetking
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
But seriously.. cars ARE NOT INVESTMENTS.. they are hobbies and people need to realize that it's rare to get the money back out.

There's also the rule that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

If I have a $5000 Rolex watch and the best offer I can get to sell it is $100 then guess what.. it's a $100 Rolex watch.

Exactly!

Ah the good old days when Penny was a infant..:D

http://fototime.com/A99EFD24EDD6BEB/orig.jpg
http://fototime.com/399C274751A1B43/orig.jpg
http://fototime.com/16872AED7CF8199/orig.jpg
http://fototime.com/B694461F4BED2C0/orig.jpg
http://fototime.com/18146E3C4BAD431/orig.jpg
http://fototime.com/60DA7BCB5AB1E6E/orig.jpg

My wife was shaking her head when I told her she had to keep he brand new BMW X5 outside because a old Chevy was taking it's spot..:D
http://fototime.com/196E8390FB35872/orig.jpg

SLO_Z28
07-28-2011, 05:38 PM
You'll never get out of it what you have into it. You have to build a car to suit your tastes. I know that I could rebuild my same car in under 6 months for under 10 grand so I have no problems taking it out to all the events I can, and beating the hell out of it. I know that I will never sell my car ever and thats good enough for me. You can ASK whatever you want for a car, getting it is another story...

Vegas69
07-28-2011, 05:40 PM
I knew Penny had a sex change. :lol:

Flash68
07-28-2011, 06:04 PM

You are right in your general analog, but using a $5k Rolex watch, or any other expensive good watch, is not a good example. They usually hold and often increase in value. Actually, a quality watch is a good example of a discretionary consumer item that can be a very good investment. :cheers:

Ok, now back to overpriced PT cars. :P

Steve1968LS2
07-28-2011, 07:11 PM
You are right in your general analog, but using a $5k Rolex watch, or any other expensive good watch, is not a good example. They usually hold and often increase in value. Actually, a quality watch is a good example of a discretionary consumer item that can be a very good investment. :cheers:

Ok, now back to overpriced PT cars. :P

Yea, but the principal that anything is only worth what someone is willing pay is one of the great life truths. :)

Steve1968LS2
07-28-2011, 07:13 PM
I knew Penny had a sex change. :lol:

What's funny is that when you look at those pictures the car looks almost the same from the outside.. flatter hood, but pretty much identical.

But every part has been changed except the cage, steering column, rearview mirrow and a couple of other widgets.. what was I thinking?

The big block sounded killer.. I think it got 4mpg.. seriously..

Van B
07-28-2011, 08:05 PM

I'll give you $200 for the Rolex...:rofl:

Vegas69
07-28-2011, 09:50 PM
I have to say Penny looked great with those wheels and a big block in him. :D(except for that drivetrain angle) That RHS LSX is bad.... Car has come a long way. I'll be ready to go heads up soon....:thumbsup:

Steve1968LS2
07-28-2011, 10:05 PM
I have to say Penny looked great with those wheels and a big block in him. :D(except for that drivetrain angle) That RHS LSX is bad.... Car has come a long way. I'll be ready to go heads up soon....:thumbsup:

It's actually amazing how diff the car is but how it looks the same..

Anytime on the rematch Todd, it would be fun.. and if I loose then at least it's to another Camaro :cheers:

Guess I need to finish that 502 RHS LS I was working on.. :lol:

Steve1968LS2
07-28-2011, 10:09 PM
I'll give you $200 for the Rolex...:rofl:

I'm more of an Omega guy...

clill
07-28-2011, 11:56 PM
"But seriously.. cars ARE NOT INVESTMENTS.. they are hobbies and people need to realize that it's rare to get the money back out."
Unless you are talking stock musclecars. I have found them to be great investments. If I had only held on to all of them. A example is my old 69 L78 Camaro convert. I bought it for 15K, did a semi resto as in pulled the subframe and redid it. Drove it for years, sold it for I think 35K. Trying to do a trade to get it back but now the price is 250K..Tell me they aren't investments.

I do agree that our pro-touring cars for the most part are not good investments...but then...I think I paid around 45K when I bought the Red Witch, enjoyed it for close to 10 years, spent a bunch redoing it and then sold it for 115K. If I had not redone the car I know I would have made good money on that car. The Red Witch was not a trendy-latest gimmick car though. It still looked like a Camaro and a nice Camaro will never look out of style. It is the cars that had a ton spent on the latest fad that gets hurt the most. Not only did it cost a ton to do the latest trend, it will be out of style and those very trendy pieces will go in the deduct column when it comes time to value the car.
The Mule is probably another example of not going overboard with the latest trend. About the only billet on it is the taillights my son made for Marquez. I put them on to help my son but I know Stielow cringed. It is almost 10 years old and is probably one of the easiest cars I can sell as I still get asked about selling it. I can probably get my money out of it and I spent a bunch doing the twin turbo setup.

camcojb
07-29-2011, 12:20 AM
The Mule is probably another example of not going overboard with the latest trend. About the only billet on it is the taillights my son made for Marquez. I put them on to help my son but I know Stielow cringed. It is almost 10 years old and is probably one of the easiest cars I can sell as I still get asked about selling it. I can probably get my money out of it and I spent a bunch doing the twin turbo setup.

when I'm rich I'm going to be bugging the crap out of you to sell me that car. :yes:

GregWeld
07-29-2011, 12:27 AM
None of you can have my Rolex....

:D

clill
07-29-2011, 12:33 AM

Spiffav8
07-29-2011, 12:46 AM

Tight wad.

;)

69x22
07-29-2011, 01:01 AM
The Mule and Big Red are defiantly icons in my book.

Jr
07-29-2011, 01:13 AM

Beautiful car! I hope it gets an invite to Optima one year. :thumbsup:

Rybar
07-29-2011, 01:17 AM

God I love that car..... Charlie, it would be pretty cool to see it at Optima.

coolwelder62
07-29-2011, 06:53 AM
What kind of car is this Rolex you keep talking about.:_paranoidDid some one build a car using a Rolls Royce & a Lexus.

Rick D
07-29-2011, 07:26 AM
What kind of car is this Rolex you keep talking about.:_paranoidDid some one build a car using a Rolls Royce & a Lexus.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Now thats funny!!!

Ummgawa
07-29-2011, 07:56 AM
The Mule changed the way I look at Hot rods, cars in general, and especially the nut and bolt originals (which I still love and appreciate). That car is Iconic.

andrewb70
07-29-2011, 08:22 AM
......you build/buy what you want in your budget and enjoy the hell out of it!

More true words have never been spoken. People get all wound up about resale and building THE perfect car, etc....I built my GTO almost 10 years ago. It is the very first car I have ever owned and unless something drastic happens I don't plan on selling it. Since it was done I have done track days, auto-crosses, dozens of trips to the drag strip, and two 4000 mile road trips. I have swapped engines, brakes, suspension components, and tackled numerous technical challenges. The point is that I've been having FUN with my car.

I've also built a couple of dirt bag RX7s with LS swaps which were awesome cars. I could drive them anywhere, run circles around Corvettes and even stock Vipers, and park them anywhere without fear of getting door dings. Those projects were loads of fun!

I don't have deep pockets to commission builds by DSE or Mark Stielow, but I love seeing them come to life, because they push the envelope and set the bar ever higher, which is good for the hobby overall.

:cheers:

Andrew

bentfab
07-29-2011, 10:34 AM

That's ok... cause it wouldn't fit my wrist any ways :rofl:

Vegas69
07-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Then you have a car like Too Much that went for big money at Barrett Jackson. It only takes one guy or in this case, two.....

Stuart Adams
07-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Last time I checked a financial advisor, they didn't have building a hot rod as an MONETARY investment option.

But its kinda hard driving or racing a mutual fund or stock.

It's all good.:cheers:

elitecustombody
07-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Then you have a car like Too Much that went for big money at Barrett Jackson. It only takes one guy or in this case, two.....

Must have been because of the name:rofl:

chr2002ca
07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
I suppose real value can mean different things. I think you're referring to actual monetary value on the market if you decided to sell the car. I'm never going to sell my car, so I don't think about its monetary value. I guess if you buy pre-built cars or pay people to build/enhance them then you definitely have to consider actual street value because chances are you'll sell it one day to start a new project or buy a different car(which, btw, is totally cool in my book). I had a guy in a new Gallardo convertible pull-up at a small car show in Encinitas and tell me that he has a large collection of cars and that he loved my car and wanted to buy it. I told him it wasn't for sale. He said with a smile, "Are you sure about that?". I said, "Absolutely sure", and it felt damn good to say that(and then go home and eat some Ramen noodles). It doesn't matter what he offered me, I would never sell it. I spent nearly every day of 3 years of my life taking that rust bucket apart and putting it back together new, never handing it off to anybody to do any work on it other than apply the sealer coat and blue. It basically defined(robbed me of) 3 years of my life and it's an accomplishment(rare in my life) for me that I just could never let go of. To see someone driving off with all my hard work would be a shot to the 'nads I would never recover from. So I'd say most of my car's real value to me is based on 'pride', and the preservation of my 'nads.

Building a 300K car by DSE? Wow, can't wait to see that one. :thumbsup:

wmhjr
07-29-2011, 01:06 PM
I've got to agree with both Andrew and Chris about this.

I built my Pontiac for me. Not to sell it, and knowing full well that if I did want to sell it, I'd never get out of it what I put into it. So, in that regard, the "street" value is far lower than my "personal" value.

OTOH, I INSURED my ride for an amount based on what it would take for me to build it all over again. I've protected my "overall" investment, meaning that if it were stolen, I could essentially duplicate what I built down to the last nut and bolt were I to choose that. That's what insurance is for - to protect the OVERALL value so that if it is stolen, I can get "it" back in some way. Not just some equivelent kind of car. I provided massive documentation up front to my insurer so we're both on the same page. It costs me a couple hundred extra a year, but could save me tens of thousands of dollars down the rode.

So, different definitions of "value"

DriverzInc
07-29-2011, 01:41 PM

Hell yeah!

Rybar
07-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Last time I checked a financial advisor, they didn't have building a hot rod as an MONETARY investment option.

I like this comment, nice one Stuart.

You only live once so do what makes you happy the short time we are here. :thumbsup:

Vegas69
07-29-2011, 01:53 PM
I often hear from homeowners, this will be my last house and I'm going to die here. Five years later they are calling to sell because the wind changed directions that morning.

Personally, I think you always need to look at resale. While these aren't investments, we all want to take the smallest loss possible in the event we do sell our babies.

For example: A black 1969 Camaro with subtle mods and a big block chevy. Never going out of style. :unibrow:

Ron in SoCal
07-29-2011, 02:28 PM
For example: A black 1969 Camaro with subtle mods and a big block chevy. Never going out of style. :unibrow:

Aint nuttin subtle about that, Pal...:thumbsup:

chr2002ca
07-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Five years later they are calling to sell because the wind changed directions that morning.

We have a fairly constant onshore flow here in Del Mar so the wind rarely changes direction for me. And I bet they didn't build that house with their own hands.

Subtle my ass. :lol: Understatement of the week. You got the style part right though. :thumbsup:

clill
07-29-2011, 03:39 PM

That's because he didn't have any cars to sell you. You actually are another example. You probably did better selling my old ZL1 clone than on any of your financial advisor's choices.

Stuart Adams
07-29-2011, 04:11 PM
No one does as good as Charley. He is the man. The super snake worked out pretty well.

Yeah the yellow car did ok. Too fast for me.

Streetking
07-29-2011, 04:17 PM
I used to never drive any of my cars, worried about putting miles on them, getting damaged ect.. Now I try and drive each of them at least once a month (except the Ford GT) because if I die tomorrow, I don't want my wife's new boyfriend to say " that SW was a great guy, he kept all his cars pristine for me"..:D So now it's on, I take perfect care of them but drive the s..t out of them every chance I get. My twin-turbo Lambo has C16 in it all the time, so its on kill everytime I drive it.:yes:

Rybar
07-29-2011, 05:44 PM
My twin-turbo Lambo has C16 in it all the time, so its on kill everytime I drive it.:yes:

Quote of the day from SW :lol: :cheers:

chrismoe
07-29-2011, 05:58 PM
I used to never drive any of my cars, worried about putting miles on them, getting damaged ect.. Now I try and drive each of them at least once a month (except the Ford GT) because if I die tomorrow, I don't want my wife's new boyfriend to say " that SW was a great guy, he kept all his cars pristine for me"..:D So now it's on, I take perfect care of them but drive the s..t out of them every chance I get. My twin-turbo Lambo has C16 in it all the time, so its on kill everytime I drive it.:yes:

SW,

Why do you not drive the Ford GT? I only ask because should I not find a nice PT car (f'ing soon!) I may buy a GT.

Chris

Streetking
07-29-2011, 06:30 PM
SW,

Why do you not drive the Ford GT? I only ask because should I not find a nice PT car (f'ing soon!) I may buy a GT.

Chris

I love it the car, but I just can't bring myself to drive it too much. I drove it around for the first 6 months I owned it, it just turned 1200 miles. I put 47 miles on it last year and 20 miles on it this year so far. It sits on the lift and just looks good. I had it twin-turboed but I have every stock piece wrapped in plastic and can return it to stock in a day. It's the best built domestic car that I have driven.

That being said, you know I'm a speed freak and the GT makes about 850 rwh on pump. It's fun to drive but will not hook until top of 3rd gear. After driving my Lambo which makes 1080 rwh on 93, nothing else comes close. I can plant 1400 wheel hp in 3rd gear on Toyo R888s on the street..it's nuts. I think I have screwed up my speed perception of cars having several twin-turbo cars..:D

70rs
07-29-2011, 06:34 PM
I love it the car, but I just can't bring myself to drive it too much. I drove it around for the first 6 months I owned it, it just turned 1200 miles. I put 47 miles on it last year and 20 miles on it this year so far. It sits on the lift and just looks good. I had it twin-turboed but I have every stock piece wrapped in plastic and can return it to stock in a day. It's the best built domestic car built.

That being said, you know I'm a speed freak and the GT makes about 850 rwh on pump. It's fun to drive but will not hook until top of 3rd gear. After driving my Lambo which makes 1080 rwh on 93, nothing else comes close. I can plant 1400 wheel hp in 3rd gear on Toyo R888s on the street..it's nuts. I think I have screwed up my speed perception of cars having several twin-turbo cars..:D

I think your perception is just fine! Your lambo.....sooo coool!
Can you (maybe you did already?)post pics of the GT turbo set up? I would love to see that.

chrismoe
07-29-2011, 06:47 PM
I love it the car, but I just can't bring myself to drive it too much. I drove it around for the first 6 months I owned it, it just turned 1200 miles. I put 47 miles on it last year and 20 miles on it this year so far. It sits on the lift and just looks good. I had it twin-turboed but I have every stock piece wrapped in plastic and can return it to stock in a day. It's the best built domestic car built.

SW,

Got it. Yea, a GT may be the way to go. We will see.

Take care,
Chris

GregWeld
07-29-2011, 11:02 PM
What a great thread this is!

Cars are so many different things to so many different people! That's what I love about the hobby... you can do it anyway you want to and everybody is good with your choice. Drive 'em - or park 'em and pack 'em in cotton balls -- it's all good as long as that's what turns your crank.

Streetking
07-29-2011, 11:19 PM
SW,

Got it. Yea, a GT may be the way to go. We will see.

Take care,
Chris

If you ever want to drive a GT, come down and we can take it out..

jjarky
07-29-2011, 11:35 PM
I think I have screwed up my speed perception of cars having several twin-turbo cars..:D

I hate it when that happens! :lol:

Lenie
07-29-2011, 11:41 PM
That's because he didn't have any cars to sell you. You actually are another example. You probably did better selling my old ZL1 clone than on any of your financial advisor's choices.

If losses are in the forecast, you have a 32 and a cuda I'd be willing to take off your hands:unibrow: :unibrow: :hail: Seriously though, you and Greg have two of the nicest 32's I've seen, post a couple of pics if you get the time and Grey I'll see yours this weekend:thumbsup:

camcojb
07-29-2011, 11:55 PM
If losses are in the forecast, you have a 32 and a cuda I'd be willing to take off your hands:unibrow: :unibrow: :hail: Seriously though, you and Greg have two of the nicest 32's I've seen, post a couple of pics if you get the time and Grey I'll see yours this weekend:thumbsup:

Cuda? I know of the Challenger. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I'm there............... :unibrow:

Lenie
07-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Cuda? I know of the Challenger. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I'm there............... :unibrow:
Sorry there Jody, I meant Challenger:willy:

elitecustombody
07-30-2011, 01:46 PM
I think your perception is just fine! Your lambo.....sooo coool!
Can you (maybe you did already?)post pics of the GT turbo set up? I would love to see that.

Not SW's ,but Joe's,I believe the first twin turbo GT.Made 1187rwhp 1061ft/lbs torque on twin gt35r's at time he let me drive it. It's just plain rediculous insane raw power. Literally few seconds and I was doing 120:woot: With gt40's it made close to 1500hp

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/elitecustombody/sept30066.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/elitecustombody/sept30088.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/elitecustombody/sept30095.jpg

70rs
07-30-2011, 02:08 PM
:omg: :drool: :thumbsup:

phillym5
07-31-2011, 04:08 AM
SW... you should consider putting the gullwing/scissor doors on the gt.
Love the car.. though.

I agree with Rupp... its worth what someone will pay for it. I've been offered crazy dough for my car... but can't let it go. As long as i don't "have" to.. she's staying with me.
SW.. you don't know me.. but we have mutual friends in the street world. Im like you.. i drive the shheeet out of my cars as well.:thumbsup:

I thought about bringing my camaro to your infamous Texas freeway/speedway for fun... hopefully i can make it this year!!You guys have some serious GT-R's coming your way this time to test those Lambo's, huh?? Should be awesome!!!

wmhjr
07-31-2011, 10:46 AM
OK, so here's a question kind of focused on the OPs initial remarks....

Without specifying numbers, who here has built a relatively high end car, and then gotten at least what they invested back at the time of sale? And vice versa, who has not. I think the starting dollar value considered ought to be around $30K, because at less than that there is so much smaller a difference between just the intrinsic value (whatever that is) of the make/model/year and the investment cost.

chrismoe
07-31-2011, 11:05 AM
If you ever want to drive a GT, come down and we can take it out..

SW,

Hope you are well. Very cool offer. I may have to take you up on that. But, will that result in a warped sense of speed for me as well? Who cares, I will take that chance.

Take care,
Chris

Ron in SoCal
07-31-2011, 01:10 PM
I've been watching this thread carefully. On my last 68 (non PT, almost a resto-mod) I got out of it what I put into it, but it was a sub 30k car. I also regretted selling it and hope never to sell a project or muscle car again (and die broke :lol:).

Watched a rerun of Mucum last night. This car sold for $120k. Announcer said it had a custom interior but nothing shows in the ad or on TV. Car presents itself well, although alot of guys here are building far better cars IMHO. This car also stays closer to the purest Camaro lover/auction buyer - factory colors, crate big block, etc. But on that scale Penny is twice the car (maybe difficult to get twice the $$$, tho). Take a look:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=IA0711-112614

Rick D
07-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Well said Ron, but I think Steve should just let me have Penny. Than I can get to the track much faster, cheaper and start having more fun with myself. Wait that came out wrong :D But if you keep telling Steve that Penny is worth so much money I'll never have shot. By the way that is a nice looking Camaro you post the link for, 120K does seem like alot but with out seeing in person who knows. Plus we all know that once wo people want a car at an auction you never know what it's going to bring. Oh and get back to work on your car, shouldn't you be posting some pictures for us by now :thumbsup:

GregWeld
07-31-2011, 06:53 PM
SW... you should consider putting the gullwing/scissor doors on the gt.

Josh -- Sorry man..... that's the dumbest thing you've ever said.

:willy: :willy: :D

phillym5
07-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Josh -- Sorry man..... that's the dumbest thing you've ever said.

:willy: :willy: :D

ouch.

Steve1968LS2
08-01-2011, 12:22 AM
I've been watching this thread carefully. On my last 68 (non PT, almost a resto-mod) I got out of it what I put into it, but it was a sub 30k car. I also regretted selling it and hope never to sell a project or muscle car again (and die broke :lol:).

Watched a rerun of Mucum last night. This car sold for $120k. Announcer said it had a custom interior but nothing shows in the ad or on TV. Car presents itself well, although alot of guys here are building far better cars IMHO. This car also stays closer to the purest Camaro lover/auction buyer - factory colors, crate big block, etc. But on that scale Penny is twice the car (maybe difficult to get twice the $$$, tho). Take a look:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=IA0711-112614

Thanks for the compliment... I often wonder what Penny would pull at BJ Scottsdale and a good time slot.. just too chicken to find out.

Auctions are funny.. you need TWO people that want your car to get any money..

Al Moreno
08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I like the hood on this one

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CA0811-113166

dwilson
08-02-2011, 10:05 AM
these are all great comments! how about one of the well off people with multiple PT cars help the little guy out in getting into one! i have a 06 gto to trade! its my baby!

PLEASE!:hail:

elitecustombody
08-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Sorry, that hood belongs on 85 C-10

Payton King
08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I am ready to sell the one I have and build a track only car. I do not have the room or the right wife to have more than one toy at a time.

I have had my present car for 18 years with 3 different versions, with the last still in progress. Even with that being said, if I could get a fair price on the car, I would move on to the track car I am lusting after knowing I could not rebuild the one I have since it is all NOS sheet metal.

Al Moreno
08-02-2011, 01:59 PM
these are all great comments! how about one of the well off people with multiple PT cars help the little guy out in getting into one! i have a 06 gto to trade! its my baby!

PLEASE!:hail:

That sound like a comment Obama would make :_paranoid Share the wealth :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: It's your duty as an American

brownz
08-02-2011, 05:03 PM
That sound like a comment Obama would make :_paranoid Share the wealth :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: It's your duty as an American

:lol: sooo true!!!

Vegas69
08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I am ready to sell the one I have and build a track only car. I do not have the room or the right wife to have more than one toy at a time.

I have had my present car for 18 years with 3 different versions, with the last still in progress. Even with that being said, if I could get a fair price on the car, I would move on to the track car I am lusting after knowing I could not rebuild the one I have since it is all NOS sheet metal.

Chris Moe's ears are wringing, or are you all talk like Rupp? :D :unibrow:

MarkM66
08-02-2011, 05:38 PM

I'm not sure what I like better, the hood or the stripe. :_paranoid

Rick D
08-02-2011, 07:51 PM

Just not feeling that hood or the stripe!!

Matt@BOS
08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Just not feeling that hood or the stripe!!

Yes, that is probably the most unique hockey stripe in the universe :unibrow:

Matt

Steve1968LS2
08-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Trade plus cash?? lol

Steve1968LS2
08-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Chris Moe's ears are wringing, or are you all talk like Rupp? :D :unibrow:

What kills it for me is that each person that has seriously wanted to buy my car would NEVER EVER track the car again.. makes me sad and not inclined to sell. I know I shouldn't care.. but I do.

Vegas69
08-02-2011, 11:41 PM
At least they know what lie to tell from now on...:unibrow: You bringing that slow poke over to Buttonwillow next month?

CreepinDeth
08-03-2011, 04:07 AM
So I have been having conversations with serveral guys about values of our cars lately.
I have been doing alot of research lately because I have been looking for a nice 2nd gen Camaro to buy.
I am after a nice car with great paint/body that has a LS motor, mini tubbed ect.

Mine is a 78 pro-touring Z28
Make an offer. :thumbsup:

I built it and never drive it. I'm doing my 442 now with an LSX 6speed conversion.
Just email me if you're interested. [email protected]

Drivetrain: LS1 / 4L60e from a 2004 GTO very low miles, Street and Performance headers, and Alternator relocation kit.
Electrical: All new American Autowire Highway 22 harness and all Weatherpack connectors. Custom LED tail lights with 4" semi LED's. Projector headlamps with H4 housings,
Suspension: SC&C UCA's, Hotchkis TVS,HPS1000's, C5 vette front brakes, new 9" DD booster, Vette MC, solid aluminum PTFB body bushings
Interior: All new with 4th gen SS ebony seats and custom rear seats to match, NRG short hub and quick release. Mumo style steering wheel,
Autometer Cobalt gauges, and a Covans gauge bezel and a Gentex autodim, compass, temp mirror.

I think that's the majority of it. :D
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/Aceshigh22/LS1%20Implant/2010JuneCamaro.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/Aceshigh22/LS1%20Implant/LS1Radiator.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/Aceshigh22/LS1%20Implant/LEDBrakeLightsCamaro.jpg

Payton King
08-03-2011, 08:55 AM
and he was going to buy my car, changed his mind after I sent my bank info for the wire transfer and bought the ZR1.

Steve, our cars are similar but different...that makes a lot of sense. When I speak of track cars, I would pick up a Nationwide series or an old ASA car set up for road course work and rebody with a 2010 Camaro body from Howe. Put an LS motor in and I could be on the track with a fast car for less than $30,000. A few months ago a stripped nationwide roller went for $2500 at an auction here.

This is a pic of the rebody ASA car

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/bosco022/CamaroNJMP.jpg

Steve1968LS2
08-03-2011, 09:07 AM
At least they know what lie to tell from now on...:unibrow: You bringing that slow poke over to Buttonwillow next month?

If she is in town and I'm in town (ie, not on assignment) then both will be there.

70rs
08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
and he was going to buy my car, changed his mind after I sent my bank info for the wire transfer and bought the ZR1.

Steve, our cars are similar but different...that makes a lot of sense. When I speak of track cars, I would pick up a Nationwide series or an old ASA car set up for road course work and rebody with a 2010 Camaro body from Howe. Put an LS motor in and I could be on the track with a fast car for less than $30,000. A few months ago a stripped nationwide roller went for $2500 at an auction here.

That looks like a whole lot of fun right there! But there goes any street driving. With your current car you can hop in any time and go where you want. With a dedicated track car its going to limit how often you can enjoy it. Not to mention having to trailer it everwhere, all the support parts, tow rig maint., extra lic and insurance on a trailer and tow rig, and I am sure a ton of other little issues and expenses that go with it.

There's alot to be said for being able to jump in, hit the key and go.

wmhjr
08-03-2011, 10:26 AM
That looks like a whole lot of fun right there! But there goes any street driving. With your current car you can hop in any time and go where you want. With a dedicated track car its going to limit how often you can enjoy it. Not to mention having to trailer it everwhere, all the support parts, tow rig maint., extra lic and insurance on a trailer and tow rig, and I am sure a ton of other little issues and expenses that go with it.

There's alot to be said for being able to jump in, hit the key and go.

Them's true words. I'd love to have a "track car" - as an "additional" car. Because a "track car" isn't a "Pro-Touring" car. It's a race car. If we're bringing them into the equation, you might as well change the thread title to "Real values on our PT, Stock, Sports, Track, etc cars". Doesn't make track cars any less desirable - they're just not IMHO "Pro-Touring", which I though at its heart was all around STREET cars capable of competing with modern performance cars.

Flash68
08-03-2011, 11:43 AM
What kills it for me is that each person that has seriously wanted to buy my car would NEVER EVER track the car again.. makes me sad and not inclined to sell. I know I shouldn't care.. but I do.

I respect that. It's nice to see it's more than just the $ sometimes.

Payton King
08-03-2011, 11:46 AM
That is just me thinking the grass is always greener sort of thing. I really do not drive mine as much as I should on the steet, but that is about to change. Here I am talking about getting a race car and I just updated my amp and about to order a new sub. Nothing like 60 lbs of stereo crap in the trunk to help performance for a wanna be racer.

Back to the OP:

Its is tough to get a value for these cars. I know how much I have in mine, not counting the endless hours of my free time tweaking and tuning. If you have the right car, a person that the car checks all of the boxes, you are probably close to getting 75% to 80% of your money back.

I guess we could modify the old saying as...Speed and style cost money, how cool and quick do you want to be.

Vegas69
08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
If she is in town and I'm in town (ie, not on assignment) then both will be there.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

coolwelder62
08-03-2011, 04:24 PM

There's alot to be said for being able to jump in, hit the key and go.I would start off my track car build W/a car that had a VIN# & a title.That way you could kill 2 birds w/1 stone.:thumbsup:

Van B
08-03-2011, 11:17 PM

I've been wanting to do one of those myself... If and when the red car goes away, I just may.