PDA

View Full Version : Baer SS4 brakes anyone?

BBC71Nova
07-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Even though I have a NIB set of Wilwoods that I picked up back a while for the front, I recently ran across the relatively new Baer SS4 setup. It looks nice and now there is a rear setup for 9" ends. Since my car isn't full bore "pro-touring" but more just "John Touring" :), I want to be able to run 15" wheels at times, i.e. at the strip. This very much limits my brake kit options. I'd like to be able to AutoX/track day once and a while too though.

Now that I've got to get the rear housing and axles ordered I'm wanting to try and finalize the plan for brakes so I can account for rotor hat thickness, offset, etc.

Option 1 is to just get the matching Wilwood Dynalite setup for the rear. Option 2 would be sell my Wilwood stuff and go all Baer SS4.

Option 2 cost fair amount more it looks like. What say you? Anybody have the Baer SS4 setup? Do we have Baer reps?

Thanks!

Jay Hilliard
07-22-2011, 05:07 PM
John,

I plan to go with SS4 rears on my wifes car. Baer has the intergral brake setup to work with 12 bolt c-clip axles.

Bryce
07-26-2011, 11:45 AM
I have the ss4 on my drag mustang. They fit inside my 14" magnesium street wheels. And work great at stopping the car!

DriverzInc
07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
The SS4 is a nice brake, no doubt, but I hate to be the voice of reason here, but since you already have Wilwood for the front, why not just get the Wilwood rear, and keep moving forward? Just seems like one step forward..two steps back, you know?

BBC71Nova
07-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Very true, Jon. Very true.

I was just having some doubts about the Wilwood brakes on the street and especially if I ever decided to try out an autoX event. I have the plain, i.e. no drill or slot, 2285 kit prior to the recent upgrade to 11" rotors with less offset. Mine are 10.8" and .810" thick. I understand that even the SS4 kit has relatively small rotors and are by no means a great brake for any serious braking requirements but with the thicker and slightly larger diameter I thought they might be a better option. The 15" wheel requirement I put on this is huge limiting factor anyway. Plus the SS4 are drilled and slotted for the bling factor :).

Another thing was the offset that I believed was introduced with the 2285 kit. I'd read like ~1/2"-3/4" hub location change with that kit. After recently talking to Wilwood tech though they say that with the OE disc brake spindle the change in only 1/8" which is the same as their new kit that is marketed to reduce the offset on certain models. Apparently there is minimal change for F/X-body kit relevant to offset.

Just thought I'd try to get it ironed out before I run into problems later. Like when I go to order up those VWW 17"/18" wV40 wheel combo from you :unibrow:

Thanks!