PDA

View Full Version : very new to this: 69 camaro with 22" x10 wheels in the back

rs-ss
01-31-2006, 02:55 PM
I want to know if it has been been done and if so, what does it take? half back kits, or other avenues?

sick65
01-31-2006, 03:49 PM
I would get a plasma cutter and a BFH, and start there :rofl:

I have never put 22's under a Camaro, but just some things to think about.

Are you running bags? If so, with the air out and buy the time you get a decent tire on the rim, you will be up in the rear package tray.

TravisB
01-31-2006, 04:17 PM
here ya go

This car is bagged... :unibrow:

rs-ss
01-31-2006, 05:03 PM
I'd like to do the same thing with chassisworks half back with coilovers (http://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_featured.html), do you think it's a good way to go about it , or is there a better way? I don't really want to go with bags.

https://www.cachassisworks.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit?FORM_SELECT=C?CAT_LV L=0?CAT=CLIPWBACK?COMP=CAC

https://www.cachassisworks.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit?FORM_SELECT=C?CAT_LV L=0?CAT=REARHOUSNG?COMP=CAC

rs-ss
02-01-2006, 11:45 AM
anyone?

TravisB
02-01-2006, 12:00 PM
anyone?

let me see If I can help you out here...what are your plans for the car show car,street car,race car????

The problem with the chassisworks back half you would have to cut the whole back of you car out (i.e. floorpans,inner and outer wheel houses)
You more than likely not be able run a back seat and you would have to install a roll cage.

Is that what you are wanting????

rs-ss
02-01-2006, 07:15 PM
I want this car for a street car, but at the same time, I want really good handling which is why I'm considering going with coilovers in the back rather than airbags.
This is the situation: I've picked up a Dynacorn hardtop body (http://www.goldenleafautomotive.com/) and am planning to pick up a Martz chassis sub-frame (http://www.martzchassis.net/page1.htm). My plans are 20" x 8.5" in the front and 22" x 10" in the back.
I have a pretty good fabricator here who can do the work, but I just need some advice on what would work best in the back to tuck those wheels in properly and maintain the best handling and height possible. I'm not too concerned either way if the rear seat stays or has to go.
Thanks for any ideas you might have...

trayb
02-01-2006, 07:46 PM
How about using a C5 Subframe?

hiwayman
02-02-2006, 12:23 AM
go the max-g from morrison ride hieght tyres all taken care of handling also got some shots if you wana see?

Teetoe_Jones
02-02-2006, 01:11 AM
I want this car for a street car, but at the same time, I want really good handling. My plans are 20" x 8.5" in the front and 22" x 10" in the back.

You aren't going to get a good handling car with a set of 22" wheels on it.
Handling is also not about putting coil over shocks on all 4 corners. You need to really define what you want from the car, in order of priority:
Looks? Handling? Reliable?

Tyler

Kendall Burleson
02-02-2006, 04:16 AM
You need a plan before you cut any thing and a big budget. :wow:

mazspeed
02-03-2006, 09:57 AM
You aren't going to get a good handling car with a set of 22" wheels on it.
Handling is also not about putting coil over shocks on all 4 corners. You need to really define what you want from the car, in order of priority:
Looks? Handling? Reliable?

Tyler

I was about to say the same thing with the 22's. My personal opinion and we all what a personal opinion is, is that the 22's are just too big for the camaro. He's 100 percent right, you're not going to improve your handling, you might actually make it worse as your lift your center of gravity at the axels. I also think they look silly at that size, but again that's just my opinion, but your handling will not get better running these size wheels.

syborg tt
02-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Anything can be done just make sure you have a budget that can afford your project goals.

You need to consider the ride height of the car before you choose the tire. If the top of the fender / rear quarter is only 33" from the ground when you set ride height then the max height tire you can go with would be 26" or 27". You need to leave enough room for tire travel.

You also have to consider the front wheel turning in the wheel well. Make sure that you have enough room to actually make an inner fender or use your stock fender if that is what you choose. Also make sure if you are running a turbo that you leave some room between the turbo and the innner fender so you don't cook the paint off the fender.

Rad Rides built the Chicayne with this tire combo and it required a bunch of modifications that you would never notice if you didn't see the car get built. The ride height on the chicayne is 4" from the ground when loaded using coil overs.

Front: 19” x 8” with Nitto NT555 Extreme, size 245/35ZR19 ( 25.75 tall )
Rear: 22” x 10” with Nitto NT555 Extreme, size 285/35ZR22 ( 29.85 tall )

you can see pics at:
http://www.sportmachines.com/gallery/Chicaynes

TravisB
02-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I want this car for a street car, but at the same time, I want really good handling which is why I'm considering going with coilovers in the back rather than airbags.
This is the situation: I've picked up a Dynacorn hardtop body (http://www.goldenleafautomotive.com/) and am planning to pick up a Martz chassis sub-frame (http://www.martzchassis.net/page1.htm). My plans are 20" x 8.5" in the front and 22" x 10" in the back.
I have a pretty good fabricator here who can do the work, but I just need some advice on what would work best in the back to tuck those wheels in properly and maintain the best handling and height possible. I'm not too concerned either way if the rear seat stays or has to go.
Thanks for any ideas you might have...

well a back half set up would not offer the best handling, as the parrallel 4 bar with have quite a bit of roll bind....you could always go with a DSE 4 bar kit it will allow a 10" wheel with no problem. You will have to do some sheetmetal surgery to allow the 22's. You may also run into problems turning the car with 20's on the front! I owuld recomend a 19' 20' combo. Also an airbag will offer as much(maybe more because of adjustability) performance as a coil over on a street car.

Cashgetit247
05-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I want to know if it has been been done and if so, what does it take? half back kits, or other avenues?

If u just wanna put 22s on it then go with a company that makes a 3 piece wheel. Forgiato, asanti, etc. wheels kinda expensive but add value plus 3 piece wheels are pretty light. Especially for big wheels. Im goin with 22x12 3piece asanti'son the rear. They weigh about 30-35 lbs. Not bad for a 22. My friend has a 18 race setup weighing 25 lbs. Thats the only way since you can get a custom offset. U can achieve up to a 295/25/22 on a 69 camaro stock without mini tubbing on the back with a 22x10 wheel. If u mini tub u can get a 22x12 rim and fit up to a 335 tire. I'm doin this to my 69. Goin with a Tci complete frame which comes coil overs, disc brakes, sway bar, rack and pinion, rear performance link bars, etc, plus ots aready designed for protouring setups wit mini tubbing in mind. Around 6k I got the complete front And rear frame plus powder coat and polish upgrade for a nice look. This is a simple solutions to a mini tube project for sure and save me alot of time and money. This is also about 120 lbs lighter then the original frame so that kinda helps with over all weight so even with bigger wheels your car is lighter then someone on stock. Mary Pozzi drove a camaro with this chassis and said, "i've never driven a better handling 5th gen camaro ever!" They also have a 4 link set u for str8 line/drag. This should build u value as well. Now u have a frame off protouring resto! Worth the 6k w/ coil overs, brake etc. u would spend the same on susupension, brakes, rack and pinion, control arms, anti roll bars, 2 in. drop spindles, etc so its almost like getting the frame for free. Plus now u dont have to fab or relocate leafs and coil over and things like that u normally have to do when mini tubbing. Im running a ls1 with upgraded cam/heads and 411 gears to help move these big wheels as 373s would run on stock wheels. This gear ratio should offset the bigger wheel size well. Hope this was useful info.

Cash

Website for frame
Tci= totalcostinvolved.com

Rybar
05-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Sorry to the poster above, but this thread is 5 YEARS OLD. :_paranoid

Vegas69
05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Sorry to the poster above, but this thread is 5 YEARS OLD. :_paranoid

22's still look donk on a 69 Camaro. Some things never change.:lol: